A history lesson from Phil Collins

mikyok

Platinum Member
So I'm currently stateside in San Antonio, just done New Orleans and Houston with lots of miles behind the wheel.

If anyone has visited the Alamo there is a massive collection of artifacts donated courtesy of Phil Collins who it turns out is a wee bit of a history buff when not flying the flag for concert toms 😉

He also does the battle narration which was quite surreal. Every days a school day!

Welcome to the USA, Mike. Have fun while you're here. New Orleans is an amazing place; like nowhere else in the country. I was such a raging tourist, taking photos of all the street signs and architecture. So pathetic. I want to go back. The food is incredible, and the music is better. The first food I ate in New Orleans was a Shrimp Po Boy sandwich at a Bourbon Street bar.

Did you know that Charlie Watts was a bigtime American Civil War collector? He and I talked about our collections.

Welcome to the USA, Mike. Have fun while you're here. New Orleans is an amazing place; like nowhere else in the country. I was such a raging tourist, taking photos of all the street signs and architecture. So pathetic. I want to go back. The food is incredible, and the music is better. The first food I ate in New Orleans was a Shrimp Po Boy sandwich at a Bourbon Street bar.

Did you know that Charlie Watts was a bigtime American Civil War collector? He and I talked about our collections.
First thing I did was get a Po Boy on Frenchman street and then find some jazz. Preferred the muffalettas which is the lesser known New Orleans sandwich. Trying to explain jazz to my wife was fun!

The amount of live music is mind boggling. Haven't seen anything like it. Full bands on Street corners and everyone can play!

Texas BBQ is all kinds of nice and Texas steak is phenomenal. NASA is the pick of the trip closely followed by the Louisiana airboat tours. Randomly finished my Beatles vinyl collection off today. Someone gave me a mono Magical Mystery Tour which was only released in America. Needs a big clean up so that's the first job after I get back on Friday afternoon. I've got a recording session the weekend. Going to be fun with a bit of jet lag!

Take a look at you now…but seriously, have a great time mate! :D (y)
Loving every second of it. Did the right thing. Hired a car and done lots of driving! Weather has been amazing.

Driving is bliss compared to back home and I could get used to filling my car up for £30.

First thing I did was get a Po Boy on Frenchman street and then find some jazz. Preferred the muffalettas which is the lesser known New Orleans sandwich. Trying to explain jazz to my wife was fun!

The amount of live music is mind boggling. Haven't seen anything like it. Full bands on Street corners and everyone can play!

Texas BBQ is all kinds of nice and Texas steak is phenomenal. NASA is the pick of the trip closely followed by the Louisiana airboat tours. Randomly finished my Beatles vinyl collection off today. Someone gave me a mono Magical Mystery Tour which was only released in America. Needs a big clean up so that's the first job after I get back on Friday afternoon. I've got a recording session the weekend. Going to be fun with a bit of jet lag!
The muffuletta was invented in NOLA by Italian immigrants. A lot of people don't know that Italians settled there, and in Mississippi, in the early 20th century. NOLA has a heritage of good Italian food, as well as the usual Cajun, French and Spanish cuisine that everyone knows. And Texas barbecue is amazing too.

Sounds like you had a good time. Safe trip back.

Loving every second of it. Did the right thing. Hired a car and done lots of driving! Weather has been amazing.

Driving is bliss compared to back home and I could get used to filling my car up for £30.
Another UK-based drummer... (some might question the legitimacy of that):rolleyes:
Love reading about your experiences in the USA!

My better half & me are lucky to travel often ( old gits...60+) & I'm trying to persuade her to do something magical rather than loaf on the World's beaches, which are all pretty much the same after a while...

Any chance you could share your itinerary for your USA trip? I'd love to do something similar soon!

Thanks!

Another UK-based drummer... (some might question the legitimacy of that):rolleyes:
Love reading about your experiences in the USA!

My better half & me are lucky to travel often ( old gits...60+) & I'm trying to persuade her to do something magical rather than loaf on the World's beaches, which are all pretty much the same after a while...

Any chance you could share your itinerary for your USA trip? I'd love to do something similar soon!

Thanks!
Pretty simple pick a place you wanna go to and see what's around there that's worth seeing, hire a car and off you go. We did Austin, Houston, New Orleans, Galveston and San Antonio literally tonnes of stuff to do.

My wife did the itinerary I was the driver lol.

We're kinda the opposite of lie on a beach when we do holidays. We like to see things. Word of warning though the travelling was tiring and you'll sleep very well.

So I'm currently stateside in San Antonio, just done New Orleans and Houston with lots of miles behind the wheel.

If anyone has visited the Alamo there is a massive collection of artifacts donated courtesy of Phil Collins who it turns out is a wee bit of a history buff when not flying the flag for concert toms 😉

He also does the battle narration which was quite surreal. Every days a school day!
Always loved Phil, especially his drumming on Robert Plant's two solo albums. Everyone that has not listened to those albums should.

Phil also literally toured right to the end of where his back would not hold out anymore on the kit prior to hanging it up. This one man gave the music community so much.

1973 a junior in high school (playing in a good band for 2 years already with my then near new 71 Premiers) I had a buddy year older than me who had a relative who ran SideShow Productions a firm that brought acts into Pittsburgh area . So Greg asks me if I'd like with him "work" the show. The Show was genesis with Lou Reed opening would I like to go? Oh yes. It was daytime we had to be there So we met that school day split and thumbed our way to the Alpine Arena in outskirts of Pittsburgh. Our job- my job- was to 'guard' the Fire Exit (s)
And that's when after watching Lou Reed (with the strangest back up band- the drummer was dressed like a cowboy -hat and all- and I think Lou was totally loaded - his eyes were mostly closed and then...) Genesis. There I am standing "guard at a door entrance to backstage and Genesis are leaning against the wall ready to take the stage. Peter Gabriel had the 3 ft Sunflower petals surround his face. It was surreal
that's my Phil Collins story.

I also with Greg- same thing we thumbed down to pittsburgh- this time- again to guard the fire exits -for a David Bowie show. 1972 maybe 73.
I am daytime in the upper balcony standing near my door- empty afternoon house- and out walks David Bowie and his band to take the stage for I assume a sound check. David Bowie spots me in the upper balcony stops all proceedings -points to me- and orders me "Out! out!"... lol. Apparently he wants no one to see ? him before a show.

GenesisSideshowProd.jpg

Last edited:
Back