Percussively Thankful

BrokenStick

On this Thanksgiving Day, I thought it might be fun and profitable to find out what everyone here is thankful for--percussively speaking. This could be any piece of drum related gear, any instructional work or even a recording or performance--contemporary or vintage--that has inspired or influenced you. I am sure we all have instructors, students, mentors, band mates etc that we are thankful for, but I am primarily looking for new things that might inspire and challenge me--okay and serve the GAS as well.

My thanks this year go to Drum History Podcast and the Drum Candy Podcast. I especially enjoy the 10 Reasons to Love ... series."

Let me just say I'm thankful I was given the gift of music as a teenager, and doubly thankful I'm still able to produce at a quality level at my age.

I'm thankful that I met my drum teacher Ron Hurst (drummer - Steppenwolf). I started weekly lessons with him ~10 years ago. He's a brilliant teacher, and has taught me many genres of music. He's also become a great friend.

I'm thankful for the performance opportunities I've had and all the wonderful bands & drummers I've seen perform live at concerts.

Last edited:
I'm thankful for my family, and that they support my music endeavors.
I'm thankful that I'm currently playing in the best band I've ever played in, and I get to play music that I love.
I'm thankful that I have the absolute best drums, cymbals, snares, and hardware I could ever want.
I'm thankful for my home in the country that allows me to play without disturbing the neighbors.
I'm thankful for a nice car that allows me to travel without worry of it breaking down.

The reason why I appreciate all of this so much is because I went many, many years without any of these things, and yet I kept going with the hope that things would be better. It took a long time and a ton of work to get here, so it's been worth it.

I'm thankful that I've been able to play drums semi-professionally these last 13 years and am coming to a point where I'm a preferred call for big local productions and events. I've basically been ping-ponging between projects and gigs all year long, making some great relationships in the process. It's a great place to be.

I'm just thankful.
The house has a dedicated music room.
This area has year round music opportunities with an active audience and the musicianship is pretty good.
I'm healthy and meagerly comfortable enough to pursue music to a much greater level of commitment than I actually do.

wondering how alive this Saturday's gig crowd will be Or if every one will Still be suffering Yam/Turkey/Stuffing/gravy overload

Do you have perfect pitch? Was ear training easy for you?

I have pretty good natural pitch recognition, ear training was pretty easy, but that’s mainly due to playing timpani and piano for many years.

The skill I have is noticing tiny differences in tone quality, they really grab my attention

My parents for buying me my first set of drums when I was 11.

The I.R.S. for the generous tax refund 25 years ago that I used to buy the drums that I have now.

Paul Francis for allowing me a peek into the Zildjian vault and letting me take home some amazing specimens.

My wonderful partner who let me dedicate a very large area in our house to my drum set and my other musical pursuits.

Bermuda for his kindenss and generosity over the years.

Bernhard for... well, everything.

Back