Any Spaun snaredrum set users here?

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
I'm just youtubing a snare Carter McLean was using which was a 6x13 Ludwig something and he of course had it sounding nice. So I'm just wandering and click on this 6x13 Spaun maple cedar face snaredrum and I'm thinking hang on here..lets listen to that again. It was fat..raspy..with nice body and great tuning range. It was sounding like a 14. So I'm clicking on other Spaun snare drums and I'm like you can't be serious. What could Spaun possibly be doing different than everyone else. I can't be losing my mind. Spaun snaredrums are the 💣 bomb. I had to see if the boys don't agree. I mean these snaredrums are making me do a doubletake. I'm am seriously thinking about digging in my pocket to get one..and maybe two. I just needed some OK that I'm not going overboard here but I barely slept last night after listening to the 6x13 maple cedar face and other snaredrums from Spaun. Are these guys the best kept secret?. Wow.

Are they still in business? Haven’t heard anything from Spaun in years. Andy was into those before he became Guru. You should ask him - he loved those drums.

What could Spaun possibly be doing different than everyone else?
Back in the late 90s/early 00s, they were doing a true double 45 cut on all of their drums. That was their big gimmick. Since then, other companies offer it, and it’s not so big of a deal.
Are these guys the best kept secret?
Spauns are really good drums. I owned a set at one time, and I’ve owned a few of their snares. They were outstanding at what they do, but what they do wasn’t for me. If you ask me who the best kept secret is, I’d say it’s the original Allegra drums, from the Dave Peterson era. The guy who did most of the work in the back of the shop, Tony Esperanza, is still in Portland and still making drums under the name ES Percussion.

The last time I went to NAMM, the Spaun booth was right across from DW's. I tried out a set of Spauns for a few minutes and liked them and was chatting with one of the Spaun reps. Then, I figured I better cool it before I started getting dirty looks from my AR guy at DW! That didn't happen. He was cool about it.

spaun make some nice stuff, they did a big vented snare for inferno from behemoth for a while :)

Spaun that reminds Me of an old site (I can’t remember name) that had various kits for sale: Spaun kits, SJC kits, Moon drums , and they had this gold sparkle Gretsch I drooled over. I think they had cymbals too. ???

I always liked the look of their natural maple kits with the single-point brass lugs.

I had a coke bottle green acrylic 14x6.5 Spaun snare. Circa 2004

A short time later I went all in on a new 4 piece (I still had the snare) set of clear Spauns. 22x20 lol, 10/12/16 I liked them. But one day about a year and a half later, I woke up and just wanted a wood set, so I traded them in for...I forget. Probably a set of Pearl Sessions. That's what I was playing around that time. I went through about 4 sets of maple and birch Pearl Session Custom/Studio Custom sets.

I wish I had kept the acrylic snare.

Spaun that reminds Me of an old site (I can’t remember name) that had various kits for sale: Spaun kits, SJC kits, Moon drums , and they had this gold sparkle Gretsch I drooled over. I think they had cymbals too. ???

Was it indoor storm, or something like that?

I have a 5.5x14 Spaun bell brass that was my go to snare until I got my DW edge snare.

Was it Indoor Storm?

If so, they go by SoundPure now.

I went to Indoor Storm a couple of times back in the day. They had a crazy OCDP kit that had a wrap that was the same color and material as a tennis ball! They also had a set of Pork Pies silver sparkle lacquer with red diamonds around the center of each drum.

I borrowed a 14 x 3.5 Spaun snare from a friend one time, and I swear it's the loudest snare I've ever played.

Indoor Storm that’s it- thanks Symbolic and Pork.

Spaun is probably the best value in custom USA pro drums since all the others figure their price hike can now be permanent. ... he is also the only company that I know of that does any candy powdercoat you want..

C424K3PW-BKRGLSmain_1500x.jpg

c322k3cpw-awp_close_1100x.jpg

I had a purple 7" x 13" maple snare with brass lugs that I played back in the day. I sounded fantastic. The brass lugs eventually turned green and I sold it.

I think I've never spotted one over here. Was really intrigued by them early 2000's. Had some really nice finished back them and believe i still have a few pics saved somewhere from that time.

Back in the late 90s/early 00s, they were doing a true double 45 cut on all of their drums. That was their big gimmick. Since then, other companies offer it, and it’s not so big of a deal.

Spauns are really good drums. I owned a set at one time, and I’ve owned a few of their snares. They were outstanding at what they do, but what they do wasn’t for me. If you ask me who the best kept secret is, I’d say it’s the original Allegra drums, from the Dave Peterson era. The guy who did most of the work in the back of the shop, Tony Esperanza, is still in Portland and still making drums under the name ES Percussion.

Great to hear you say that, Caddy. I have a set of Allegras from Dave Peterson era and have kept them in pristine condition.

And +1 regarding Spaun not raising their prices to absurd heights like every other drum company. This keeps up, there’s going to be no middle class at all in the US. I know doctors and professors living paycheck to paycheck. With that reality, who can afford $3-$5K kits?

Back