One drummer...2 hours.

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Who do you want to talk with and where do you meet. I thought about Bonham..and Ringo..Paice and many others but it's Jeff Porcaro I want to meet at Old Chicago..have a few beers and talk about how he came up with his parts on Tommy Bolins Homeward strut..his thoughts on recording with Sonny and Cher. His favorite tune with Boz Scaggs. Just 2 hours of picking his brain from equiptment to his favorite foods..how he chooses hihat cymbals. You know..drum stuff for two hours. I think he would be ultimately interesting. You?. Who and why.

Gene Krupa, because he was the first drummer I ever really noticed and listened to, and I know he'd have a lot of good advice and stories he could tell.

I wanted to say Buddy Rich, but he would probably tell me to get the fu** out of his bus.

Who do you want to talk with and where do you meet. I thought about Bonham..and Ringo..Paice and many others but it's Jeff Porcaro I want to meet at Old Chicago..have a few beers and talk about how he came up with his parts on Tommy Bolins Homeward strut..his thoughts on recording with Sonny and Cher. His favorite tune with Boz Scaggs. Just 2 hours of picking his brain from equiptment to his favorite foods..how he chooses hihat cymbals. You know..drum stuff for two hours. I think he would be ultimately interesting. You?. Who and why.
Amazing thread.. Brilliant!
Right then. No idea..
Elvin Jones and Art Blakey..
Jeff Porcaro, Gadd, Bonzo.. Ginger Baker would be amazing..
Bill Bruford, just to ask about the way he works on stuff..
Can’t give an answer.. 🙏🏻

Terry Bozzio and any ol' pub will do. Would love to hear him talk gear and how he picked all the stuff, how he developed from playing in bands to his solo drum stuff etc.
Tons of other drummers i'd like to meet, but Bozzio came first to mind. I guess i'd have a blast too with Benny Greb!

EDIT: on second thought... i'd pick Pete Kircher. He's been a huge influence on me growing up since he was on the first Status Quo VHS live recordings. The drummer who has been with Quo for the shortest amount of time (around 4 years including the hiatus after the End of the Road tour and Live Aid) and has been out of the spotlight since. Doesn't want to be back in it and declined to be in the Hello Quo! documentary, which i respect. But i'd love to hear how he experienced stepping into the place of the first drummer, how he approached playing the songs, how he came up with that setup, how the band reacted to him having 2 chinas etc.

Last edited:
There are so many great drummers that come to mind, but I think I’d like to grab some good barbecue with Nashville studio drummers Greg Morrow, Nick Buda and the late Larry London and just listen to them swapping stories.

At first I thought of Billy Cobham 'cuz Spectrum blew my mind. But, years later, I witnessed Simon Phillips performing with Jeff Beck and that blew my mind. Then I thought, "I wouldn't take them to a pub, I'd bring 'em out to my place for a BBQ and beer. Who would like that?...Oh, yes! Eric Moore! He'd enjoy my spicy BBQ'd chicken!"

Justin Bieber.
I'm old now.
He's got an in on young women.
I'm not that old,
yet. And I've got the time tick-tick tickin in my head.

Last edited:
I'd like that time to sit behind and observe Jim Gordon, Andy Newmark or Jim Keltner in the studio on a major recording date. Just to try and understand their magic.
Funny you mention Jim Gordon..ive been youtubing Jeff Porcaro interviews and he mentions Jim as one of the best drummers in the world. Whenever I hear him on Claptons Let it rain I just shake my head and think damn!. 🎶

At first I thought of Billy Cobham 'cuz Spectrum blew my mind. But, years later, I witnessed Simon Phillips performing with Jeff Beck and that blew my mind. Then I thought, "I wouldn't take them to a pub, I'd bring 'em out to my place for a BBQ and beer. Who would like that?...Oh, yes! Eric Moore! He'd enjoy my spicy BBQ'd chicken!"
Damn! It..can I change my mind after reading your post?..i don't want to sit at Old Chicago now with Jeff..id much rather sit under the umbrella grilling steaks in the back..not Old Chicago! 😠..i much prefer YOUR idea..what was I thinking!.

Although not for two hours, I’ve met quite a few heroes at ProDrum - and for some reason, drum stuff is the last thing to come up, if ever. It’s always laughs and jokes in that place. I did get to recollect a Remo clinic I went to with Ndugu Chancellor back in 1983 with the man - and he was blown away anyone would remember - but we mainly talked about what a great person and player Louie Bellson was at that same clinic. I think every drummer who goes into that place downplays who they are and wants to talk about their heroes instead.
Meeting Alan White was a touching experience because all we talked about was how much he missed Chris Squire.

Back