Lumber and stick prices.

I think Drum Stick manufacturers will probably save money by discontinuing lines of sticks that don't sell well before they jack up prices too too much, but you never know.

I'm coming to grips with the fact that gear is expensive! $10 for a pair of sticks!?
Cheap vs. expensive has always been a great discussion to have.
I bought a brick of the Sweetwater On-Stage brand once. They're maple and the 5b size feels like a "5a-and-a-half".

Maple is considerably softer wood though, so durability is an issue. But a brick costs $25.

Now compare that to a brick of Vic Firth 5a's: 12 pairs @$9.00 = $100 (give or take).
So the question remains: Do you buy cheap sticks that will last a couple shows, or spend big for sticks that will last you a whole year?

There is no lumber shortage. Most lumber comes from Canada and Canada's lockdown status has made it very difficult to impossible to move lumber out of the country to everyone down the supply chain.
It will correct itself in the short time.
There is also not a plot to raise the price of gasoline. Demand has greatly increased from the economy resuming and prices rise with increased demand. If you're on the east coast of the US, the hacking of the Colonial pipeline system is why gas supply has decreased. Yet another in a long line of highly vulnerable portions of the US infrastructure that has been exploited by foreign actors.
Further bulletins as events warrant.

There is no lumber shortage. Most lumber comes from Canada and Canada's lockdown status has made it very difficult to impossible to move lumber out of the country to everyone down the supply chain.
It will correct itself in the short time.
There is also not a plot to raise the price of gasoline.
Folks dont seem to understand that these are tradable commodities whose price fluctuates daily. Throw supply and demand on top of that and BOOM!, crazy price changes.

I'm wondering when some hacker will shut down our power grid. We will then get to see how people really are.

Folks don't seem to understand that these are tradable commodities whose price fluctuates daily. Throw supply and demand on top of that and BOOM!, crazy price changes.

I'm wondering when some hacker will shut down our power grid. We will then get to see how people really are.
I'll be sharpening my drumsticks to deal with how people really are when that happens. :confused:

Folks dont seem to understand that these are tradable commodities whose price fluctuates daily. Throw supply and demand on top of that and BOOM!, crazy price changes.

I mean, a power grid shut down would be VERY bad. People will go crazy for Popeye's chicken sandwiches, it would only be 10x worse from something like a complete power outage.

I mean, a power grid shut down would be VERY bad. People will go crazy for Popeye's chicken sandwiches, it would only be 10x worse from something like a complete power outage.
Sure would. No power to make chicken sandwiches would kill us all!

I produce my own power, bring it on!
I'm not there yet. I do have a backup generator just in case.

I’ve seen the news about the skyrocketing price of lumber. Prices have risen 130%. If stick makers pass on this price increase, a pair of sticks will be around $23. I realize the price of the wood is not the whole price of a stick. It will still raise stick prices. This price increase might be temporary, as demand falls post pandemic. The question is, will stick manufactures keep their prices stable and absorb the losses until prices come down? Will they temporally raise prices, and then lower them when lumber prices come back down? Or will they raise prices and leave them there permanently?
Supposedly what caused the lumber shortage was the lumber companies slowing production thinking that the pandemic was going to stop construction companies from working (which it did) therefore the demand would have been less. What they didn't take into account was that with that many people now forced to stay home, a lot used that time and worked on long postponed home renovation projects, so in the end, the available supply still got used. (Home Depot never closed here in CA). I am sure that when their supplies starting to dwindle, they asked their suppliers for more and eventually their suppliers started to run out as well. now production is ramping up to meet the current demand, so we should expect to see things start to level closer to the end of this year.... That is not to say that if companies can get away with charging $20+ dlls for a pair of sticks they will lower the prices again once things get back to "normal".

I don't use sticks lately-i'm working on focusing my voice and say "Muad dib" to activate and play the drum heads and cymbals. I predict it will save me a fortune, trees, and save the environment. A win, win. You may need to spice up your food to open you nasopharynx to produce the sound effectively I've found. Clear mind clear sinuses- Muad dib. Ummmmmmmmmmm. That's the air resonating after I quit LOL. I can makes watermelons explode like Gallagher but I don't even need a hammer. Whoot whoot

Same here I've been playing Ahead since they had the Lars Ulrich signature pair, but I also get a free pair every time I go to the music store (a free pair of wooden sticks) so I have a collection of sticks because as you said, Ahead lasts a long time, plus I have been playing E-drums a lot lately so no stick damage..

So far the gas shortage is humans hordeing. Actually filling plastic zip locks with gas. God forbid. Use what you need and back off, or burn toilet paper.
There is a picture of a guy filling up two big trash cans sitting in the bed of his pickup..... at 90 gallons each.... plus his truck tank... F&&% hoarders!! not to mention how is he preventing the gas from spilling? some people just set humanity back... waaaay back.

I don't use sticks lately-i'm working on focusing my voice and say "Muad dib" to activate and play the drum heads and cymbals. I predict it will save me a fortune, trees, and save the environment. A win, win. You may need to spice up your food to open you nasopharynx to produce the sound effectively I've found. Clear mind clear sinuses- Muad dib. Ummmmmmmmmmm. That's the air resonating after I quit LOL. I can makes watermelons explode like Gallagher but I don't even need a hammer. Whoot whoot
If stick prices get crazy high, I may think about dune that.

For some reason I've always had a personal aversion to stockpiling sticks, as I like to buy on a need-by-need basis; but I might have to have to stock up.

I did buy a bunch of sticks years back, but i'd stopped doing that because every year or two i'd might switch to another stick and had a surplus of sticks i didn't use.
Am using maple 5B's now again, but contemplating if i should give hickory 5A's a spin again. I did say that i'm settled on maple 5B, but i should've know myself better than that hehe. So yeah, i buy when i need them and order 4 pairs max that will last me several months

Back