any songs you like that are in odd meter?

A couple, but not because they're in odd time. I like them because they're good songs and they flow well despite not being in 4. For example "All You Need Is Love" sounds right in 7, as does "Money" by Pink Floyd.

Way back when, I recall that my drum instructor described Zeppelin's "The Ocean" as 4/4 with 7/8 intervals or something along those lines. I've always liked the groove of that track.

I don't think a composition is necessarily improved or hampered by its time signature alone. It's just one of many ingredients that contribute to a song's recipe.

Last edited:

Bridge (1:15) is in 5/4 (each time
drummer Tootie Heath
(we play this regularly when gig comes up over many years)
In other words "it's a " standard..

Way back when, I recall that my drum instructor described Zeppelin's "The Ocean" as 4/4 with 7/8 intervals or something along those lines. I've always liked the groove of that track.

I don't think a composition is necessarily improved or hampered by its time signature. It's just one of many ingredients that contribute to a song's recipe.
The Ocean was the first song I remember hearing that just blew me away. Awesome tune.

Fates Warning - No Exit (entire album) it's an odd time roller coaster and tour de force
Rush -freewill
Alice in Chains - rain when I die

Last edited:
I'm an odd meter freak raised on the Don Ellis big band.
Bulgarian Bulge
Magic Bus Ate My Doughnut
Allman Bros

First six bars (of the melody) are in 5/4 (bass is playing in '2') each time that the melody is played
Tony Williams (1965)

Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel, 7/4
Turn It On Again - Genesis, 6/4, 7/4

Several other Genesis songs, too many to list :)

There are lott of odd time songs that I enjoy, but it is not for the time sig but instead the music. Check out porcupine tree if you want some ideas for discrete odd times.

Back