Bad Drum Photography

Boy, nothing says quality like a pile of drums sitting by the curb. So are they giving me the chance to come pick them up before the garbage man gets them?

View attachment 105882

I have 2 sets in the band room at school that were found in the same situation

a little TLC, and now they find them selves in kids homes who can't afford a set at the start. They are my "test drive" kits...mostly for the family and the neighbors. If they pass the test, the kids usually get their own, and return them to school for the next trial

selling drums like they're Kentucky Fried Chicken in a box. Well, at least easy pickup.

Attachments

• 00P0P_3hMI4Y9E8rQ_1200x900.jpg
    00P0P_3hMI4Y9E8rQ_1200x900.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 12
Nothing as attractive as a drum kit thrown on a floor and spelling mistakes. :)French le Bon coin.

Attachments

• 66749E60-45DD-4F62-AC98-DB8784E52F96.jpeg
    66749E60-45DD-4F62-AC98-DB8784E52F96.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 17
Between the messy bedroom, the disheveled drums and—what is that finish, giraffe???—I'm shocked these haven't sold!

1625325848020.png

And this is just a complete mess—complete with bad lighting. Literally zero attempt to make this kit look desirable, even though it is a Starclassic.

1625326027854.png

That pic is full mysteries. Ancient hardware mixed with newer drums, and what is under the floor tom? It has snare wires, but no shell. Almost like it's just the support ring from a free floater?
I have a throne top similar to that old ass thing on the left. Mine is a Rogers Swiv-O-Matic I believe. Doesnt make it one, but it could be.

That Bator Vork lurking in the boxes worries me.

I have a throne top similar to that old ass thing on the left. Mine is a Rogers Swiv-O-Matic I believe. Doesnt make it one, but it could be.

That Bator Vork lurking in the boxes worries me.
When the bators in your garage get to be too much to handle, you can trust Bator Vork: Sweden’s #1 bator deterrent for over 100 years.

Last edited:
Boy, nothing says quality like a pile of drums sitting by the curb. So are they giving me the chance to come pick them up before the garbage man gets them?
A classic! Asphalt truly is a bearing edge's best friend. :)
What will they come up with next? "You can come tomorrow to pick up the drums, but bring some towels and scuba-gear because I ran out of space and so the drums are currently stored in a swimming pool"??
studio_4_popup.jpg

What will they come up with next? "You can come tomorrow to pick up the drums, but bring some towels and scuba-gear because I ran out of space and so the drums are currently stored in a swimming pool"??
View attachment 105940
As far as the photography goes, as long as the pool is drained (which it clearly is), I have no problem with this.
But recording drums surrounded by all that reflective tile???? That's gonna sound, let's just say, interesting.

Yeah, no idea how it sound but I believe they know what they are doing. It's just one of the first images I've found on google by looking for "drumset swimming pool"... ;)

In this day and age where every smartphone has a really capable camera that's like having your own personal Annie Leibovitz, how on earth is it even possible to take such horrible photos—especially for something you're trying to sell?

This Craigslist ad claims this is a vintage K ride. Maybe it is... but really, how can you tell? I think it would actually be better to not have any photos than to have these. BTW, I love how there's not one but TWO blurry photos of the stamp.

View attachment 105488 View attachment 105489 View attachment 105490 View attachment 105491 View attachment 105493

And, I kid you not, these are for a "Pulse drum set metallic blue with stands":

View attachment 105495 View attachment 105496 View attachment 105497 View attachment 105498

Maybe this can turn into another Tom Angles thread, except for crappy Craigslist or eBay photos.
Either one of two reasons:
1. The idiot seller doesn’t know how to take reasonably presentable photos (only a small portion of civilization might be exempt, the infirm or elderly);
2. The seller trying to conceal details and defects

I wonder if someone was using that as a "marching snare" and was too lazy to remove the strap? Of course that's not even close to an actual marching snare, but you never know what people are willing to do with their gear.
We used white canvas straps back in the early-mid 1980’s for snares in the drum line. Hurt like hell after an hour or so, but that was what we had at the time. Moms made our uniforms (different from the rest of the marching corps) and we were sharp!

View attachment 105940
These look like Recording Customs, but there are some larger badges underneath the main badges on all of the toms. Anyone know what those are?

We used white canvas straps back in the early-mid 1980’s for snares in the drum line. Hurt like hell after an hour or so, but that was what we had at the time. Moms made our uniforms (different from the rest of the marching corps) and we were sharp!
In college, my drumline marched old-school style with straps and some semicircular thing that helped our left thighs support the drum. But they were actual marching snares, not a concert or drum set snare like the one pictured.

Between the messy bedroom, the disheveled drums and—what is that finish, giraffe???—I'm shocked these haven't sold!

View attachment 105931

And this is just a complete mess—complete with bad lighting. Literally zero attempt to make this kit look desirable, even though it is a Starclassic.

View attachment 105932

looks like a storage locker find....

and the drumline closet at school in mid season...

Back