Drum truths that defy science, gravity or explanation..................

Your band just finished the night at--------bar and you will almost certainly hear the drunk yells for...FREEBIRD!!FREEBIRD!
One band I played in, immediately upon hearing "Play some Skynyrd!", we'd play the progression to Sweet Home Alabama reggae-style, change every instance of the word Alabama to Jamaica, and jam it out for 10+ minutes. That usually took care of it for the evening.

Expecting to get through a 1.5 hour festival set having earlier competed in a seriously hardcore chilli eating competition o_O

First to clear the plate consisting of 60% Scotch Bonnet, 20% Habanero, 20% minced beef sauce. Guy in pink top finished first, I finished 2nd, guy to my right got a trip to hospital. I followed through with an interesting hour on bike rally toilets (lovely), then to my amazement, got through the set without further vacation.

Now that's defying science, gravity, & explanation all in one story!

chilli eating 900.jpg

That pic is priceless Andy-the look on your face and the winner in pink tells it all. Though the fact everyone in audience seems to be smiling a bit disturbing given the participants reactions- but I'd be smiling too-my Bad. Looks like a bunch of bikers-must be the Red Hot Chili Pepper Biker club. You should have been wearing a RHC t-shirt-butt I bet things got Rolling later on LOL. When is FU going to make more t-shirt btw? I wanna I wanna

Expecting to get through a 1.5 hour festival set having earlier competed in a seriously hardcore chilli eating competition o_O

First to clear the plate consisting of 60% Scotch Bonnet, 20% Habanero, 20% minced beef sauce. Guy in pink top finished first, I finished 2nd, guy to my right got a trip to hospital. I followed through with an interesting hour on bike rally toilets (lovely), then to my amazement, got through the set without further vacation.

Now that's defying science, gravity, & explanation all in one story!

View attachment 101825
Blah-blah-blah. Who’s the woman with two beers? Her steady grip indicates she might be a relative. But a Budweiser? Y’all actually import that, or is it contraband?

But a Budweiser? Y’all actually import that,
Why bother? There are plenty of toilets in the UK, just dip your pint glass in and get the same flavour.
Fact o' the day: Budweiser is screwed up Yeungling. Agustus Busch I stole the Yeungling's recipe and got it wrong. That's what Budweiser is.

Why bother? There are plenty of toilets in the UK, just dip your pint glass in and get the same flavour.
Fact o' the day: Budweiser is screwed up Yeungling. Agustus Busch I stole the Yeungling's recipe and got it wrong. That's what Budweiser is.

After a gig back in the late '90s at a venue in Texas, I was sipping a can of Foster's Lager (Australian) when an Aussie strolled up to me, pointed to the can, and said, "What's this? That's urine where I'm from." I noticed he was bearing a bottle of Bud Light, so I pointed to it and replied, "And that's urine with a higher water content where I'm from." We laughed about it and chatted for a while, noting that what passes as an exotic import in one country is another nation's domestic shame.

Last edited:
That pic is priceless Andy-the look on your face and the winner in pink tells it all.

When is FU going to make more t-shirt btw? I wanna I wanna
The face on the "later hospitalised" guy tells it all too. This shot was about 1/3rd of the way through. He was already an unwell man ;)

I have a pretty high tolerance of hot stuff, but this was deliberately several levels above medically advisable!

Sorry Art - No new FU tees in the pipeline, but caps are likely (less size stocking issues).

Blah-blah-blah. Who’s the woman with two beers? Her steady grip indicates she might be a relative. But a Budweiser? Y’all actually import that, or is it contraband?
Budweiser have a brewery in the UK. I'm surprised it sells here TBH. I'm told the UK brewed stuff tastes very different to the US stuff. I have no desire to test that observation ;)

Why bother? There are plenty of toilets in the UK
One less after my occupation - I guarantee that cubicle was beyond processing for reuse :(

These are SO true!
The one thing I've noticed in the bands I've played with is the "Money Beat" is what they want most of all. Not that they don't appreciate some good fills & skills, but that AC/DC-like simplicity just makes the night go so smooth!

Reminds me of a gig, first time playing with this band. The singer/songwriter pulls me aside and gives detailed instructions for how they want me to play the intro of this one song. We get to that song, I play it exactly as instructed, and the guitarist stops the song (live, in front of the audience) to tell me I’m doing it all wrong. He gives me contradictory instructions and I say “Okay but the bandleader JUST told me to play it this other way”. He says just play it his way. So I do, and we finish the gig, and the guitarist tells the bandleader I’m unprofessional and not playing with them again. Okay!

Stopped in front of the audience? I would've left that band on my own. Issues are to be worked out in rehearsal, never on stage. I'm not a professional musician by any means, but I do know how to play professionally.
That would never fly in my book.

Pictures on ebay of drums on asphalt or concrete. Defies common sense. Did they take the pictures of the chrome and condition before or after setting them on concrete? Are they trying to convince buyers to make the purchase as a rescue attempt, much like rescuing an abandoned dog at the pound?

All the drummers I know never play directly on concrete without a rug. In fact the sight of a musical instrument laid on concrete is an abomination to what being a musician is about - respect for the instrument just as much as the music itself.

And of course, it never fails that someone from the band who wants to "help" you load will violate the concrete rule in a split second, regardless of how well you might or might not play. (If you suck, it still shouldn't matter.)
The same retailer that took photos of drumkits out on the sidewalk without a rug, scoffs at you for checking the underside of the bass drums on display, as if you anly have that right once you've purchased it.?

My local GC has 2 sets on display, both electronic, and neither have amplification nearby. I think It's a plot. ;)

Every music store you walk into has 10,000 plus guitars that can be picked up and played instantly. Then the have 8 beginner kits, 4 intermediate ones, and maybe 1 well used kinda pro level kit, all stacked and detuned.

My local GC has 2 sets on display, both electronic, and neither have amplification nearby. I think It's a plot. ;)
You live in my neighborhood do ya?

You set up your kit, making sure 1 leg of each tripod stand is directly under the boom of the cymbal, for best center of gravity.
Either another drummer, a tech, roadie, whatever, ALWAYS moves them, just enough that the boom is now dangling over no legs.

You set up your kit, making sure 1 leg of each tripod stand is directly under the boom of the cymbal, for best center of gravity.
Either another drummer, a tech, roadie, whatever, ALWAYS moves them, just enough that the boom is now dangling over no legs.

So true! In my case it is always the bass player moving my stuff out of his way to get to his amp knobs. (tiny stage) Why does he need to touch his amp so much? Haha!

Back