What cost you more? Your car or your music gear?

I have a 2010 Honda Civic and 2018 CR-V, bought both brand new and yet I think I have roughly the same invested in drums as I do the 2 cars combined.

my music gear if all totaled up...

I only buy used cars, and currently have a 2010 RAV4 that I got 6 years ago...it is only the 4th car I have owned since 1984

I buy my car’s new but I buy economical Honda’s. As a family, we just want reliability, safety and resell value, since we tend to trade them in after 3-5 years.

But with drums, I have a lot of higher end stuff that would be equal to a BMW & Mercedes. Drums are a hobby and something I collect so I don’t mind going high end.

But if you gave me 10 million bucks, I’d still drive a Honda class SU-V. Just not where I see the point of luxury.

Are we talking about ALL the cars I’ve had over my lifetime? I’m on my sixth vehicle in my lifetime so I’m pretty sure the cars cost more because they’re used for more than just music jobs.

I did an inventory of my drum gear a few weeks ago and I have 48k in drum gear. A about 4K of it is mics and an interfaces but the rest is all drum stuff

Probably my car because I just bought a new one. Ford Explorer sport in a special edition Burgundy Velvet color - zippy, hauls tons - driven a rental version across the country and thought I'd pick one up myself! (Replaced an Outback) The pic was wide lens so it makes it look all bubbly - but I don't have any others haha.

I rarely splurge - I'm more of the investy type - but that outback was dying.

Attachments

• rsz_89eaa8bc-800f-41b6-8080-83220954109f-2e329a2e-5fbb-4a35-b53c-1efe5f2971e7.jpg
    rsz_89eaa8bc-800f-41b6-8080-83220954109f-2e329a2e-5fbb-4a35-b53c-1efe5f2971e7.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 18
Are we talking about ALL the cars I’ve had over my lifetime? I’m on my sixth vehicle in my lifetime so I’m pretty sure the cars cost more because they’re used for more than just music jobs.
Nah, Just what you're rollin' in now and the gear you own now.

Car hands down. So did my sofa, bed, and kitchen table. Oh yeah, my house too. What's the point of this question?

Priorities and maybe to just have a little fun? Don't be so cranky. ?

Nah, Just what you're rollin' in now and the gear you own now.

Priorities and maybe to just have a little fun? Don't be so cranky. ?
Not cranky, just curious.

My gear cost more than my tv. Its is at the very bottom of my priorities list. I think I've spent more on books actually.

Last edited:
My car, no doubt. Though I still have a lot of money invested in my gear (more than the average drummer, I would say), I like cars too much to not use much money on. Currently I have a 2017 Renault Talisman, which I guess not many non-Europeans know much about, but still a really nice, bigger car (Estate).

How does the joke go? £5000 worth of gear in a £500 car to drive 5 hours for a £50 gig??
I put 10k's worth of gear in an 7k car to drive 2 hours for a £70 gig.............

My gear. I currently drive a 13 year old VW Golf.

Sad face. :(

Back