What cost you more? Your car or your music gear?

How do y'all do that? I'm on at least 15 since 1994.

being poor helps; growing up in a family situation where we reused first, recycled if we could not reuse, and bought new last helped

I was trained to always search for the most durable/reliable thing before I bought...sort of like measure twice, cut once kind of mentality. I NEVER impulse buy <--- I have been known to be in a store with 2 pairs of the same socks in either hand, and spending 10-15 minutes looking them over before buying, checking for which one is "the best buy". Drives my wife nuts

My car, I buy cheap gear. If I was still racing, the spares box is worth 10 times any music gear I've ever owned.
The last crankshaft I bought cost 3 times what my entire kit did.

For me it is quite equal. I'm driving a used e-Golf and play a (quite new) DW/SONOR/Paiste combination, recording with equipent for around 10k€.

Now my car is worth way more than my musical gear. But that was not the case until about age 40. Peace and goodwill.

My car, but I’m sure it’ll depreciate until it’s worth less than my drum gear. I used to be an Audi guy, but decided to stop spending on cars. Unless it’s a collector’s car, it’s a losing proposition due to depreciation and maintenance. I’ve owned some muscle cars and sold them as well. Now I have a single, trusty, Subaru that I’ll drive until the doors fall off.

My car at this point in my life.

Boy does this bring back memories... back in the 80's I bought a new N&C snare drum for $500.00 to add to my drum gear even though it was time to think about replacing my college car I had bought used for $700.00 and drove with rope holding the bumper tied on.

Last edited:
My car at this point in my life.

Boy does this bring back memories... back in the 80's I bought a new N&C snare drum for $500.00 to add to my drum gear even though it was time to think about replacing the used car I had bought for $700.00 and drove with rope holding the bumper tied on.

oh yeah....rope, bungee cords, duct tape, zip ties....the "backyard mechanics" staple tools!! Had many cars with these items squeezing out a few thousand extra miles. Given my first 2 cars, I should have an honorary PhD in mechanical engineering!!!

I really learned how to drive? I dunno....
Not a driving issue.
1983 Nissan Pulsar - wrecked during a downpour
1985 Toyota Celica GTS - thrown rod
1986 Nissan Pulsar - tranny failure
1987 Lincoln Towncar - ran out of gas, never started again
1986 Chevy Celebrity - sold
1987 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham - traded in
1994 Honda Civic - jeep pulled out in front of me
2002 Honda Civic EX - traded in
2002 Honda Civic Si - sold
1988 Honda Accord - left at friends, his landlord salvaged it
1988 Honda CRX - project never finished due to recession
1996 Olds Ciera SL - tranny failure
1996 Honda Accord - electrical failure
2003 Chevy Impala - wife's car, still have
2004 Hyundai Tiburon - still have

Tripped the switch behind the left taillight which kills the fuel pump. Seen it 1000 times.
Yeah I learned that long after I sold the car. Had no idea. That car was cool as hell too. It was a Tyson foods corporate fleet vehicle. Fully freaking loaded, like everything. It was like driving a luxury living room.

Chevy Cruze 24.000, well drum kit with mic and cymbals might be close to? 10.000$? But with the rest of the gear? 100.000$ minimum...I have always carried more gear in dollars in my car than the price of the gear shavers it's music, ciplimbjbg gear, windsur gear etc...

Last edited:
I remember my first car and it too cost less than the drum kit I had. It was a early 60's VW with no heat and the previous owner had used cement instead of bondo where it had rusted out. You could see the road through floor boards in certain places and when you went over any kind of RR tracks pieces of the cement would fall off. Paid $200 for it. My kit at the time was a Ludwig Hollywood that I had gotten for $500. Beetle finally died on a cold winter day outside of Cleveland. I just took the plates and left it on the side of the road. ? ?

The car I have now cost me $8900 and I have about $12K in music stuff. That's 3 kits and a PA though. I think buying a new car is a bad investment unless you can pay cash for it. YMMV.

Not a driving issue.
1983 Nissan Pulsar - wrecked during a downpour
1985 Toyota Celica GTS - thrown rod
1986 Nissan Pulsar - tranny failure
1987 Lincoln Towncar - ran out of gas, never started again
1986 Chevy Celebrity - sold
1987 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham - traded in
1994 Honda Civic - jeep pulled out in front of me
2002 Honda Civic EX - traded in
2002 Honda Civic Si - sold
1988 Honda Accord - left at friends, his landlord salvaged it
1988 Honda CRX - project never finished due to recession
1996 Olds Ciera SL - tranny failure
1996 Honda Accord - electrical failure
2003 Chevy Impala - wife's car, still have
2004 Hyundai Tiburon - still have

my time line has been:
1983: first car....1969 Olds Delta 88 - paid $75 to my grandparents. My uncle and I got it running - he had raced for Oldsmoblie in the 50's so he knew how to do everything - it had a 455 Rocket engine that just destroyed!!! It was The Heavy Metal Sled for me during HS...famous for having a killer stereo, and the outside being held together with bungee cords, Bondo and duct tape.

1991 - bought a 1989 ford Aerostar Van. My uncle took the Delta 88. I wanted a bigger car for drums and to become a "touring" van. It was not the best car, but all I could afford. Put 180k miles on that van

1997 - bought a 1994 Olds Cutlass after the van literally died...engine locked up.

2001 - got a dodge Grand Caravan after renting one while touring. This was the only new car I ever bought. This thing was GREAT. I could fit a ton of gear in it. Even 2 full sized marimbas, seats out of course This van went all over the country on band tours, trips to drum corps shows, vacations....it rocked. I put over 250k on it. It was known as The Silver Bullet by my students...

2015 - got my current 2010 RAV4 after the Silver Bullet's chassis rusted in half. RAV had 56,000 miles on it when i got it, and has 128k now

I plan on getting a Tacoma next, with the idea that it will be the last car i get...

I plan on getting a Tacoma next, with the idea that it will be the last car i get...
That's my plan for the Tiburon. I have a second tranny for it, and will be getting a second engine sometime soon. I like the car, and as long as it doesnt get wrecked I shouldnt ever need another.

My wife wants a jeep. The Impala is a fantastic car, but not her "forever" car. I'm not getting extra drivetrain for it. She gets a jeep, I'll get the extra drivetrain. Fixing is so much more economical than buying a replacement car.

*Heap. Fixed it for ya ;)
IMPO anything else would be better. Or, if she's dead set on a Heap, get the Rubicon. It's the best Heap of them all.

IMPO anything else would be better. Or, if she's dead set on a Heap, get the Rubicon. It's the best Heap of them all.
Nope, inline 6 Wrangler. She isnt picky about the year, so I'm thinking pre-Chrysler jeep.

Personally I dont like jeeps. But it wouldnt be my vehicle, so my opinion on the matter is moot.

She has also expressed interest in a lifted Suzuki Samurai, as well as an Isuzu Amigo. Both vehicles have practical cult followings and are stupid expensive if you can find one around here. She likes lifted boxes with giant tires.

yeah...I really wish Jeeps weren't such klunkers...i really like the look and the idea, but have known way too many people who have had way too many issues with Jeeps across the years

that is why I am looking at Tacoma's

Nope, inline 6 Wrangler. She isnt picky about the year, so I'm thinking pre-Chrysler jeep.

Personally I dont like jeeps. But it wouldnt be my vehicle, so my opinion on the matter is moot.

She has also expressed interest in a lifted Suzuki Samurai, as well as an Isuzu Amigo. Both vehicles have practical cult followings and are stupid expensive if you can find one around here. She likes lifted boxes with giant tires.
Mitsubishi Montero/Dodge Raider. Solidly reliable, not as big a following.
Pre Chrysler is a def a good idea. With that I6 4.0, pull CCV (it doesnt have a PCV, it's a metered orifice) and check for oil. Once it starts sucking oil, you'll be rebuilding the bottom end. They also had some diff issues, but usually due to neglect.

Back