American football!!!

Why that team? When I first started watching Premiere league I watched for a while and decided which team to support by what I saw. Im not going to say which team to support, ( every team has fans) I'm just wondering why the Jags?

Hiya Jasta........we get very, very little coverage of NFL over here on TV.

I guess I have to start somewhere right?

".........The city overcame the odds and shocked the NFL world Nov. 30, 1993, when it was awarded the Jaguars as the 30th franchise. A team in Jacksonville was considered an up-hill battle due to city's small market size........"

They were given the 30th franchise in the NFL on my birthday!!!

They had fought against the odds to even GET a franchise.

They come from Duval county in Florida (Robert Duvall is one of my favourite actors).

I watched some footage of Minshew ll throwing the ball on YouTube last night in a few games......man, he can throw!!

I love their uniform colours.

They have a small and very loyal fanbase.

I want to support the underdog.

That's why I wanna root for the Jags.

I gotta start somewhere.

Another option is college ball.
College football is pretty much the only football I watch anymore. The pageantry and rivalries far exceed anything in the NFL. Plus the kids play with heart, not for a paycheck. And yes, that makes a difference that's apparent even from a casual observer.

If they barely show NFL down under, then I'm guessing they probably don't show any college football. But if they do, my teams are the University of Oregon Ducks (where I went to grad school), the Texas Tech Red Raiders (undergrad) and the University of Michigan (my dad's alma mater).

College football is pretty much the only football I watch anymore. The pageantry and rivalries far exceed anything in the NFL. Plus the kids play with heart, not for a paycheck. And yes, that makes a difference that's apparent even from a casual observer.

If they barely show NFL down under, then I'm guessing they probably don't show any college football. But if they do, my teams are the University of Oregon Ducks (where I went to grad school), the Texas Tech Red Raiders (undergrad) and the University of Michigan (my dad's alma mater).

Hiya TK ?

Yeah mate.........our college football coverage here is zero, as far as I know.

I've only really got YouTube.

There's paid services like Kayo, but it's a bit expensive. But I'll check out your team on YouTube.

I THINK our channel 7 has some NFL coverage.

I think Australia has a American Football team......but I dunno what, where and how they are doing.

LA Chargers is your team.
ROFL

I grew up in San Diego (that was the Chargers home town for ~50 years) and we called them the San Diego Chokers. Every game where a make or break play was on the line, they choked. Every game.

About ten years ago, Wifey was gifted the NFL DirecTV package and it’s fun when a crowd is visiting and there’s good food and drink. Then the games are a nice “background” for hanging out. But it’s not easy to sit down and focus on a game. It’s way too slow for that.

Good choice. The owner is a good man, and the first non-native American to own an NFL team (he’s from Pakistan). Plus they have the hottest cheerleaders in the league, and a weird glass-wall swimming pool built into their stadium.

My wife thinks I’m nuts, but I think the Jags are gonna be very successful in a few years because the owner isn’t a loser. And Khan’s son is the team’s statistician who is trying to develop new statistical data to better the team.

Plus they have the hottest cheerleaders in the league
I don’t know about the Jaguars cheerleaders since I don’t really watch the NFL, but Oregon‘s cheerleaders are ridiculously hot. By far the hottest in college football! Just google Oregon cheerleaders. You’ll see.

Sounds chaotic, which is how it looks whenever I attempt to watch it. I never last more than a few minutes before shaking my head and changing channels. I prefer sports where I can comprehend what’s going on and understand the strategy behind each play.

TK......mate, I'd be more than happy to PM you with the basic rules, or if you are comfortable with the idea, I could give you a call sometime and chat with you about the rules.

My phone plan gives me 300 minutes of free international calls to the U.S from Oz.

...Oregon‘s cheerleaders are ridiculously hot.
While in college, I transferred from UC Santa Barbara to UC Berkeley (also known a “Cal” to you Aussies). Well, Cal had a big-deal football team and tickets were $1 for students, so I went to a game and was seated in the student section. The first thing I noticed was the cheerleaders, an entire squad of 30 or so students. Maybe ten guys, twenty gals. All perfectly fit and very attractive and very distracting. I don’t know who won but the cheerleaders and their gymnastic actions were worth the $1.

I grew up in San Diego (that was the Chargers home town for ~50 years) and we called them the San Diego Chokers. Every game where a make or break play was on the line, they choked. Every game.

Since football was a requirement at my house, I picked the Chargers as my team. I was like 5, they have lightning bolts. It worked. Worst decision ever. Remember Ryan Leaf? About that time I started losing interest in football. When they moved to LA I stopped watching completely. That was the last straw.

Hiya TK ?

Yeah mate.........our college football coverage here is zero, as far as I know.

I've only really got YouTube.

There's paid services like Kayo, but it's a bit expensive. But I'll check out your team on YouTube.

I THINK our channel 7 has some NFL coverage.

I think Australia has a American Football team......but I dunno what, where and how they are doing.
College football in america is the minor league division for the pros. What i dont like about college football is that not everyone goes on to the pros so the level of talent on the field is not 100% spread throughout. Good players just like minor league baseball, however not everyone can make that next step. One of my best friend played college, then arena football but could not make the jump to pro.

I've just discovered something amazing!

I have an Amazon Fire Stick......there's a free Sports channel called DSN.

I've got access to all the NFLs teams channels and it's totally free.

I've been watching some press conferences and so forth.....very interesting.

The American Football players are so much nicer to listen to that the Aussie Rules players.

They are far more articulate and actually give intelligent answers to questions in interviews.

Aussie players are like......."yeah mate, nah, yeah we played hard mate. The guys are great mate, yeah, nah".

Just wait until a post-game interview... "It was a good game, we have a good team, it was a good game, it was a tough game, thanks to my mom and god and the team, what a great team, it was a good game..." ?

I've just discovered something amazing!

I have an Amazon Fire Stick......there's a free Sports channel called DSN.

I've got access to all the NFLs teams channels and it's totally free.

I've been watching some press conferences and so forth.....very interesting.

The American Football players are so much nicer to listen to that the Aussie Rules players.

They are far more articulate and actually give intelligent answers to questions in interviews.

Aussie players are like......."yeah mate, nah, yeah we played hard mate. The guys are great mate, yeah, nah".

I will say that, growing up in this country, and living in different regions, really reinforces how pervasive pro sports are here and how depressing the real world stats around them can be, and how they are used to divide and ally. Even easier to see when you aren't involved.

While I enjoy playing sports, I generally won't watch or listen to them and have zero interest in the day-to-day of teams and players.
Sound and fury, signifying nothing, imo.
;)

Hiya Jasta........we get very, very little coverage of NFL over here on TV.

I guess I have to start somewhere right?

".........The city overcame the odds and shocked the NFL world Nov. 30, 1993, when it was awarded the Jaguars as the 30th franchise. A team in Jacksonville was considered an up-hill battle due to city's small market size........"

They were given the 30th franchise in the NFL on my birthday!!!

They had fought against the odds to even GET a franchise.

They come from Duval county in Florida (Robert Duvall is one of my favourite actors).

I watched some footage of Minshew ll throwing the ball on YouTube last night in a few games......man, he can throw!!

I love their uniform colours.

They have a small and very loyal fanbase.

I want to support the underdog.

I gotta start somewhere.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Tell the truth—it's 'cuz you wanna be just like this guy, isn't it?

Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png

TK......mate, I'd be more than happy to PM you with the basic rules, or if you are comfortable with the idea, I could give you a call sometime and chat with you about the rules.

My phone plan gives me 300 minutes of free international calls to the U.S from Oz.
Wow, thanks for the offer. It’s been a while since I’ve seen Aussie rules football, so it’s not exactly fresh in my mind. But I’ll keep an eye out for it, and will definitely watch it next time I see it televised. In the meantime, if you don’t mind sending me the basic rules (or posting them here), I’ll have them handy so I can hopefully make more sense of it. Then once I’ve seen it again so it’s fresh, yeah it’d be fun to talk about it with someone who actually knows what’s going on!

Just wait until a post-game interview... "It was a good game, we have a good team, it was a good game, it was a tough game, thanks to my mom and god and the team, what a great team, it was a good game..." ?

That sounds about right. Or: "He jus keeps throwing me that ball up the middle. Like all day long. Jus, POW! another strike right up the middle. I'll keep takin it too, cuz it keeps puttin 6 on the board. Jus, POW! Uh-huh, uh-huh. Give me the ball, I'm the greatest. Peace to my moms."

The coaches are the best. You get every emotion from them depending on the day. My favorite is when the team sucks so bad, the coach just has no words anymore. He sits there, in front of like 50 microphones and tv cameras, and says nothing. Drool runs out his mouth, fire is brewing behind his eyes, he looks like he hasn't slept all season, and you can see the restraint in his face that is keeping him from punching his way out of my tv and into the real world. One of these days a coach will literally explode on live tv. I look forward to that day.

Word?

I thought that was just an urban legend....?

Back