American football!!!

Benthedrummer

Wait until a defensive lineman picks up a fumble and runs with it. That's always fun, super slow guy that is hard to tackle. They never get the ball, I always hope they score.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It's an extremely strange year, and they just acquired Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski not too long ago. Dangerous offensive combo from the New England Patriots.
Like this?

Obviously not a defensive linesman.....but still.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Seriously?

Jeez Louise.......lucky I went with the friggin Jags then.

That's hardcore of you photo.

And here I was thinking that you are just a big ole softy at heart.
The Pats were a cocaine-snorting team in the 80s. Total losers. Then the owner recognizes the genius of ex-towel boy Bill Belichick, who uses his genius to “stretch” the rules (there’s a new rule preventing use of self-inflicted penalties to control the clock ‘cuz of him). Along comes Brady and a few other hot players and they become the darling of the US sports media machine. And for, what, fifteen years they dominate the league and every coach has to wrestle against Belichick’s genius. It got so old and stale that it was fun to hate on the Pats. But in Boston? You’d better swear your allegiance or your car is getting torched.

Then Brady leaves for whatever reason and we find out he’d been taking a serious pay cut so they could pay other players better. And the guy’s married to some hottie model so his diet is all rabbit food but NO strawberries. I mean, shit, the guy might as well play DW cuz he’s so perfect.

/rant

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Anyways guys, I'm getting the hang of American Football now.....I THINK!

I've been watching a fair few games on YouTube and I Google any things that come up in terms of definitions.

My favourite game-play I reckon are defensive touchdowns or "Pick 6". They are so exciting to see a player scream down the outfield to the endzone.

I also get excited when a quarterback gets sacked. That is cool too.

I watched a game the other night and the QB was sacked 7 TIMES!!

So who's gonna win the Superbowl this year??
wait....quarterbacks get sacked?

I haven't seen a sack in 10 years. Maybe 15. Now-a-days, the quarterbacks get bumped...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Totally. It's the only sport I can think of that has a requirement to even play. If you cant skate, you cant play.

Maybe American football would be more enjoyable on ice.
when i played intramurals in college, all the rink rats would wait for the rink to clear out after 1:30 am, and then play football on our skates on the ice for hours...talk about brutal

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
(there’s a new rule preventing use of self-inflicted penalties to control the clock ‘cuz of him)
What? So does that mean no intentionally running out the play clock to get delay of game? I'm confused. If it's a penalty to give yourself a penalty, do you gain yards and keep the ball for doing so? How does one prove it was intentional?

Next you're gonna tell me I cant break my own stuff.

cbphoto

Gold Member
What? So does that mean no intentionally running out the play clock to get delay of game? I'm confused. If it's a penalty to give yourself a penalty, do you gain yards and keep the ball for doing so? How does one prove it was intentional?

Next you're gonna tell me I cant break my own stuff.
Game clock manipulation
This change to Amend 4, Section 3, Article 12 "prevents teams from manipulating the game clock by committing multiple dead-ball fouls while the clock is running."

I can’t find what the “penalty” is.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm guessing 5 yards for illegal procedure, unless they call it unsportsmanlike conduct then maybe 15 yards

Benthedrummer

The Pats were a cocaine-snorting team in the 80s. Total losers. Then the owner recognizes the genius of ex-towel boy Bill Belichick, who uses his genius to “stretch” the rules (there’s a new rule preventing use of self-inflicted penalties to control the clock ‘cuz of him). Along comes Brady and a few other hot players and they become the darling of the US sports media machine. And for, what, fifteen years they dominate the league and every coach has to wrestle against Belichick’s genius. It got so old and stale that it was fun to hate on the Pats. But in Boston? You’d better swear your allegiance or your car is getting torched.

Then Brady leaves for whatever reason and we find out he’d been taking a serious pay cut so they could pay other players better. And the guy’s married to some hottie model so his diet is all rabbit food but NO strawberries. I mean, shit, the guy might as well play DW cuz he’s so perfect.

/rant
Word?

Far out brussel sprout........I thought he was the darling of every aspect of the game with a squeaky clean history.

Just goes to show eh?

basset52

Totally. It's the only sport I can think of that has a requirement to even play. If you cant skate, you cant play.

Maybe American football would be more enjoyable on ice.

And while I'm changing sports rules, if the pitcher hits the batter with the ball, he should be out. After all, if the batter hits the ball and it hits the runner, he is out.
MMm - don't think so. If the batter hits a runner with the ball the runner will be out - providing the ball hasn't passed an infielder. Sorry to be pedantic.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Game clock manipulation
This change to Amend 4, Section 3, Article 12 "prevents teams from manipulating the game clock by committing multiple dead-ball fouls while the clock is running."

I can’t find what the “penalty” is.
This is why I dont watch football anymore. It's getting stupid. Controlling the clock is huge in the game. They keep stats about it. Yet you arent supposed to do it. Then why have a play clock and a game clock? Make a scoring goal, first one to 21 wins.

Next they are gonna say running out of bounds to stop the clock is a penalty, and incomplete pass keeps the clock running.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
MMm - don't think so. If the batter hits a runner with the ball the runner will be out - providing the ball hasn't passed an infielder. Sorry to be pedantic.
That's impossible. The ball must pass the pitchers position to hit a runner by player position on the field alone. How does the ball hit a runner without passing the pitcher but he is still out?

basset52

That's impossible. The ball must pass the pitchers position to hit a runner by player position on the field alone. How does the ball hit a runner without passing the pitcher but he is still out?
The pitchers is excluded from this rule - he/she is not considered to be an " infielder".

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The pitchers is excluded from this rule - he/she is not considered to be an " infielder".
I should add - only in relation to this rule.
Interesting. I'm not much into baseball so I'm trying to imagine how this does/doesnt happen. Do I draw a straight line from home plate, or is it based on the runner and infielder nearest him/her?

I never got into baseball. I tried, but no. I understand how the game works, but not all the little nuances. I honestly only know about the hit runner because I saw it happen on tv as a kid.

basset52

Interesting. I'm not much into baseball so I'm trying to imagine how this does/doesnt happen. Do I draw a straight line from home plate, or is it based on the runner and infielder nearest him/her?

I never got into baseball. I tried, but no. I understand how the game works, but not all the little nuances. I honestly only know about the hit runner because I saw it happen on tv as a kid.
I've been involved in the game since I was 12 and I'm now 67 and still coaching so I know a bit about the game. Its a minor sport in Australia so I'm in a real minority. There are a lot of complexities in baseball and even I think its a really hard game to understand . This is one of the very many complexities. I'll try to give the simplest way of this happening. The 1st baseman is playing way back behind his base. The 2nd baseman is playing further in and close to the baseline between firstbase and secondbase and about 1/2 way between first and second. With a baserunner at first the batter hits the ball towards the second baseman. The baserunner at first runs toward second and gets hit by the batted ball on the baseline. The baserunner is called out for Interference. It has passed the pitcher ( which doesn't count) but not past any other player as the first baseman is further back than the second baseman. Clear as mud.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I've been involved in the game since I was 12 and I'm now 67 and still coaching so I know a bit about the game. Its a minor sport in Australia so I'm in a real minority. There are a lot of complexities in baseball and even I think its a really hard game to understand . This is one of the very many complexities. I'll try to give the simplest way of this happening. The 1st baseman is playing way back behind his base. The 2nd baseman is playing further in and close to the baseline between firstbase and secondbase and about 1/2 way between first and second. With a baserunner at first the batter hits the ball towards the second baseman. The baserunner at first runs toward second and gets hit by the batted ball on the baseline. The baserunner is called out for Interference. It has passed the pitcher ( which doesn't count) but not past any other player as the first baseman is further back than the second baseman. Clear as mud.
Oh it's an interference call, that makes perfect sense. If that was not the case, there would be nothing from preventing the runners from doing this all the time. Got it, thanks!

Benthedrummer

Well......this is weird.

I've looked online at EVERY store here and online store for NFL merchandise.

There's quite a few here....Rebel Sports, Culture Kings, West Bros, JD Sports.

Every-single-store has NOTHING but Raiders stuff.

Unbelievable!

Hundreds of Raiders shirts, caps, bloody dog coats and collars, pants, jackets and jumpers.

There's ONE Jacksonville Jaguars item, out of all the stores here.

It's so strange, every store has a ton of Raiders stuff.

All black, white and grey Raiders logos.

Why on Earth is every store got basically only Raiders stuff over here?

All these stores are not affiliated with each other at all.