American football!!!

Benthedrummer

So I watched a few games of NFL.

Really enjoying the experience.....heaps!

Just a couple of questions.

1) when a team goes from being offence to defence......what does the QB do? Do they leave the field and sit on the bench or are they ultilised in the defense team.

2) Is the QB the only player that can throw the ball?

3) Is the penalty for a QB sack based on a specific distance behind the line of scrimmage or is it based on where the actual tackle occurred?

Go Jags 🤘🤘🤘

I think Jacksonville Jaguars have got some major QB issues.

I saw a game with Bortles as QB for them and within a ten minute period he got a massive sack then gave away a Pick 6.

I reckon Winshew is the man.

He's got a good Wide Receiver in Chark.

That dude can friggin run and he's got hands like magnets.

adamosmianski

1) when a team goes from being offence to defence......what does the QB do? Do they leave the field and sit on the bench or are they ultilised in the defense team.
He rests up, chats to the coaches/other offensive players to make adjustments, etc.

2) Is the QB the only player that can throw the ball?
No, the ball can be thrown forward by anyone as long as it's behind the line of scrimmage. Once the ball passes the line of scrimmage it becomes like rugby; you can still throw it, but it has to move backwards.

3) Is the penalty for a QB sack based on a specific distance behind the line of scrimmage or is it based on where the actual tackle occurred?
There's no special penalty for a sack. He's just down where the tackle occurred, so the team loses yardage.

adamosmianski

There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with that game. There's so many stops and starts with changes all the time. The flow of the game isn't the same as other team ball sports.
There's actually a LOT of rhyme and reason, which is why is takes awhile to get into it. Once you really understand the starts and stops are nearly as exciting as the play. It becomes like a chess match. You can see what each coach/time is thinking and how they are strategizing to outwit the other team. It creates a lot of suspense that then explodes when the play eventually happens.

For example: It's third and 3 with not much time left on the clock. They NEED to convert this third down because they're too deep in their own territory to go for it on fourth down, but if they punt the other team may be able to run out the clock. Because of the clock they should probably throw it so the clock stops if it's incomplete. The defensive coach knows this, so he puts extra defenders in the secondary to protect against the pass. The offensive coach sees this, so he's thinking possibly a run play because there are fewer defenders up on the line. But if they come up short they're f*cked. WHAT'S HE GONNA' DO?! HERE'S THE SNAP!! HOLY SHIT!! 😄

Benthedrummer

He rests up, chats to the coaches/other offensive players to make adjustments, etc.

No, the ball can be thrown forward by anyone as long as it's behind the line of scrimmage. Once the ball passes the line of scrimmage it becomes like rugby; you can still throw it, but it has to move backwards.

There's no special penalty for a sack. He's just down where the tackle occurred, so the team loses yardage.
Hey thanks mate for the answers 👍👍

Benthedrummer

Jeez, I saw a game on YouTube and the team were like 3 & 25!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Jeez, I saw a game on YouTube and the team were like 3 & 25!
Sometimes a team will do this on purpose. If they are around mid-field and cant kick a field goal because it's too far, but cant punt because they are too close (a punt that goes in the endzone comes out to the 20). The offense will intentionally draw a penalty (delay of game, offsides, too many men on the field) to give the punter more room.

Not sure if you know this, all players sit down at a possession change, not just the quarterback. Each position is specialized, therefore each player only knows a couple of positions at most. On offense, not all positions are even used all the time. That's part of the strategy.

If you want to get into strategy, you need to look at play formations. There are rules about formations too. Gotta have X amount of linemen for formation A, gotta have X amount of receivers for formation B. I get lost in the strategy. It's an "I know you know that I know that you know I know you know what play I'm gonna run, so I'll run this play instead" kinda thing.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I know the game seems like just a bunch of big guys running into each other and stopping. But there is an incredible amount of strategy involved.

Much like chess, you don't just move your pieces, you come up with a plan and then try to figure out your opponent's plan, and you make moves and then counter moves to their moves, etc, etc. Hence why there is a lot of stopping.

But unlike chess, even the best-laid plans depend on the physical skills of the players to pull it off.

People like to say futbol (soccer) is better because the play rarely stops and the ball is constantly moving. But, in my personal biased opinion, while the ball may technically keep moving, soccer can be boring because rarely does anything exciting actually happen. It's just a lot of the guys kicking the ball up and down the field, back and forth, with only rare occasional action if the ball happens to get near the goal, and scoring just rarely happens.
In football, there may be a ton of stops, but at least exciting things happen more frequently. Far more scoring opportunities arise.

IN soccer, a team can win a game scoring just 1 or 2 times. Maybe 3 if it's a high scoring game. In football, a team can easily score 3, 4 or 5 times. Occasional, 6 or 7.

But it is an acquired taste, and it can take years to understand even some of the subtleties.

Benthedrummer

I know the game seems like just a bunch of big guys running into each other and stopping. But there is an incredible amount of strategy involved.

Much like chess, you don't just move your pieces, you come up with a plan and then try to figure out your opponent's plan, and you make moves and then counter moves to their moves, etc, etc. Hence why there is a lot of stopping.

But unlike chess, even the best-laid plans depend on the physical skills of the players to pull it off.

People like to say futbol (soccer) is better because the play rarely stops and the ball is constantly moving. But, in my personal biased opinion, while the ball may technically keep moving, soccer can be boring because rarely does anything exciting actually happen. It's just a lot of the guys kicking the ball up and down the field, back and forth, with only rare occasional action if the ball happens to get near the goal, and scoring just rarely happens.
In football, there may be a ton of stops, but at least exciting things happen more frequently. Far more scoring opportunities arise.

IN soccer, a team can win a game scoring just 1 or 2 times. Maybe 3 if it's a high scoring game. In football, a team can easily score 3, 4 or 5 times. Occasional, 6 or 7.

But it is an acquired taste, and it can take years to understand even some of the subtleties.
American Football seems to really click with me.

It kinda speaks my language and it's the only team ball sports that actually engages me.

I can't compare it to any other ball sports as I very rarely watch sport.......but American Football really is awesome to me!!!

So the regular NFL season for 2020 starts in August right?

TK-421

American Football seems to really click with me.

It kinda speaks my language and it's the only team ball sports that actually engages me.

I can't compare it to any other ball sports as I very rarely watch sport.......but American Football really is awesome to me!!!

So the regular NFL season for 2020 starts in August right?
Glad you’re enjoying it. In the NFL, the preseason begins in August and the regular season starts in September. At least that’s what usually happens. But because of Covid, no one is quite sure yet how it will work this year.

Benthedrummer

Glad you’re enjoying it. In the NFL, the preseason begins in August and the regular season starts in September. At least that’s what usually happens. But because of Covid, no one is quite sure yet how it will work this year.
Yeah..... really loving it.

So preseason is??

The regular season is just the division groups between the AFC and the NFC teams right?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Preseason is practice games that don't count in the league standings. This where they work out off season kinks and look at new talent they have acquired during the off season. Regular season is now 16 games played in 17 weeks with one bye week. Owners keep talking about playing 17 weeks and I'm not sure where that stands now. Teams play each other team in their division twice with teams from other divisions thrown in.

cbphoto

Gold Member
The regular season is just the division groups between the AFC and the NFC teams right?
No. Some games are inter-conference, but I don’t know how the NFL figures the pairings. Also, within each division (i.e., AFC West, NFC North, etc.) those teams play each other twice. This determines the best team in each division, which determines who goes into the post-season playoffs.

If you have the time, the show A Football Life, produced by the NFL is a look behind the scenes of players and coaches. Some episodes are more emotional than game-centric, but I‘ve enjoyed many of them. The episode on Bill Belichick really surprised me ‘cuz he started off as a towel boy.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The league is two divisions, AFC and NFC. Each division has 4 sub-divisions (north, south, east, west), and each sub-division has 4 teams for a total of 32. Each year you will play the team's in your division twice, once at home and once away. The other 10 games are time based, meaning you have to play the other 28 teams in the league at least once every 4 years. I have no idea how they figure it out.

Since you are a Jags fan, you are AFC South. This means, by default, you must hate the Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans, and Indianapolis Colts. They are your division rivals. If they do better in the regular season than the Jags, you dont make the playoffs. You will play each team twice each year.

Benthedrummer

The league is two divisions, AFC and NFC. Each division has 4 sub-divisions (north, south, east, west), and each sub-division has 4 teams for a total of 32. Each year you will play the team's in your division twice, once at home and once away. The other 10 games are time based, meaning you have to play the other 28 teams in the league at least once every 4 years. I have no idea how they figure it out.

Since you are a Jags fan, you are AFC South. This means, by default, you must hate the Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans, and Indianapolis Colts. They are your division rivals. If they do better in the regular season than the Jags, you dont make the playoffs. You will play each team twice each year.
What a coincidence!

I actually despise the Titans, Texans and Colts.

Well......I do now!

I saw a full game from 2019 between the Jags and the Colts on YouTube.

The Jags gave them a floggin'.

I saw another one between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Jags.

The Jags got belted.

The QB for the chiefs was Mahome......that dude is GOOD.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

funny, cause I think American Football is one of the easiest sports to understand, and rugby is the hardest. Rugby is just a bunch of guys pushing each other until someone gets too tired and the scrum falls apart, than someone pops out with the ball, and it is a free for all until the ball is in the end zone....and this is not a slam, I have just never taken the time to figure it out, and what it looks like to an outsider.

Ice hockey is my most favorite sport, and American Football is second.

For me, there is not a sport on the planet that matches hockey for speed, strength, endurance, brutality, skill, hand-eye coordination...

and the mid 80's to late 90's was the "Golden Age" of hockey to me.

cbphoto

Gold Member
there is not a sport on the planet that matches hockey for speed, strength, endurance, brutality, skill, hand-eye coordination...
Agreed. They should get paid at least what baseball players get paid. The first time I saw pro hockey, c.1969, my brain popped. Then, years later I moved to Detroit and saw the Red Wings play and it popped again. Because of the crowd.