American football!!!

Benthedrummer

Ok.

I'm not a big sports fan by any means.

However I can understand most world team sports.........aaaaaand then there's American football.

Hut! Hut!

Run!........stop!, Wait.....start!

Safety!! No, it's out!

Substitute! Run, stop!......stop, then run.

Then game over.

This year is the year that I'm gonna try to figure out this damn game.

Oh, I wanna become a team fan.

In the NFL I like the Arizona Cardinals.

Any suggestions?

I want to become a fan of a real underdog team who always lose and struggle.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Ok.

I'm not a big sports fan by any means.

However I can understand most world team sports.........aaaaaand then there's American football.

Hut! Hut!

Run!........stop!, Wait.....start!

Safety!! No, it's out!

Substitute! Run, stop!......stop, then run.

Then game over.

This year is the year that I'm gonna try to figure out this damn game.

Oh, I wanna become a team fan.

In the NFL I like the Arizona Cardinals.

Any suggestions?

I want to become a fan of a real underdog team who always lose and struggle.
LA Chargers is your team. Or Cleveland Browns. Both have never won the Super Bowl and both have a reputation for being awful teams.

What do you want to know? I'm not into football, but my whole entire family is. I know the game pretty much inside and out. It was a requirement growing up.

C.M. Jones

Try the Minnesota Vikings. Few teams have a more elaborate history of seeming unbeatable until it matters most. Then they sink like a longship punctured in battle.

The Vikings' theme at home games is Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song." SKOL!

Benthedrummer

LA Chargers is your team. Or Cleveland Browns. Both have never won the Super Bowl and both have a reputation for being awful teams.

What do you want to know? I'm not into football, but my whole entire family is. I know the game pretty much inside and out. It was a requirement growing up.
Brian, even with sports that aren't popular here.....I can understand the basic premise of the game. Even hurling, Jai Ali, racquet ball etc.

But NFL football?

There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with that game. There's so many stops and starts with changes all the time. The flow of the game isn't the same as other team ball sports.

I really want to learn to like it though. I just love how they totally plough into each other and try to cause as much chaos and mayhem. Watching one poor player with the ball get absolutely smashed into the ground by 10 players over 100kg is kinda exciting.

So I've looked on YouTube for understanding the game.........don't understand a cotton pickin' thing.

The Cleveland Browns eh?

Weren't they in that movie with Kevin Costner?

I love the Arizona Cardinals uniforms.....they look awesome.

C.M. Jones

A study determined that over the course of a three-hour NFL game, you're actually seeing only eleven minutes of football (plays in progress, that is). The rest is huddles, timeouts, penalty calls, injury pauses, and commercials. Seen in that light, few forms of entertainment are a bigger waste of time.

I'm an NFL fan regardless.

Last edited:

bud7h4

Silver Member
A study determined that over the course of a three-hour NFL game, you're actually seeing only eleven minutes of football (plays in progress, that is). The rest is huddles, timeouts, penalty calls, injury pauses, and commercials. Seen in that light, few forms of entertainment are a bigger waste of time.

I'm an NFL fan regardless.
I feel like the time between plays builds tension for each play (except for commercials of course). I loved the strategy too, at least as much as the action. Loved - past tense - since I quit watching around 2002.

C.M. Jones

Yeah, not to mention that linemen need breaks from the hard work they perform amid each play. Also, boredom would probably kick in if we didn't have all the drama.

Frosticles

Silver Member
Tried to watch American "Football" a couple of times..........Nah. Rugby is a faaaaar better game :) UK "Football" is the proper version (NOT Soccer.........) ;)
Sorry, I am European :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with that game.
The basic premise is: you have 4 downs (tries) to move the ball forward 10 yards. If you are able to, you get another 4 downs. If you are not able to, you lose possession of the ball. You can continue to do so as long as you can keep getting 1st downs (10 yards in 4 or less tries) and get into your opponent's end zone. Your end zone is always at your back.

The placement of the ball is called the line of scrimmage. Once the ball is snapped (put into play), you can either run or throw the ball. A forward pass can only happen from behind the line of scrimmage, and can only happen once per play. A lateral toss can happen anywhere and as many times as needed. A lateral toss can not go forward. You can also hand the ball off to an eligible player behind the line of scrimmage as many times as you want, again, as long as it doesnt go forward.

If you are able to move the ball all the way down the field into the end zone, you score a touchdown. A TD (touchdown) is worth 6 points. After you score a TD, you can either kick an extra point (1point) or try a 2 point conversion. For a 2 point conversion, the ball is placed on the 2 yard line* and any regular play can be run. For an extra point, the ball used to be placed on the 2 yard line, but now is the 15 unless it has changed again. The ball is snapped 7 (or 8, dont remember) yards, caught by the placeholder who holds it upright, and the kicker tries to kick it through the upright.

Field Goal: At any point when you have possession of the ball, you can attempt a field goal. A field goal is when you attempt to kick the ball through the uprights to gain 3 points. It is done exactly as the extra point Regardless of the outcome of the kick, you turn the ball over after the field goal. If you miss, the other team takes possession from where the ball was at the start of the field goal attempt. If you make it, you kickoff.

Kickoff: this starts the game, the second half, and any start of play after a TD or successful field goal.

Punt: the option to kick the ball away and give possession to the other team if you cant make 10 yards in 4 downs. The punt takes place on 4th down almost always.

Safety: when the defense tackles the ball handler in their own end zone. It is worth 2 points for the defensive team.

This is the basic concept for the gameplay of American Football. There are tons of other rules, but this will get you started as an observer.

*The field in NFL American Football is 120 yards long and 53 1/3 yards wide. The center is the 50 yard line, descending to the end zones, or 0 yard line. The end zones are 10 yards deep.

The term red zone refers to being inside the 20 yard line while having possession of the ball, it's both the offensive and defensive red zone at the same time.

"...and goal" means inside the 10 yard line offensively. 1st and goal means 1st down and less than 10 yards to score.

Old Dog new Cans

Brian, even with sports that aren't popular here.....I can understand the basic premise of the game. Even hurling, Jai Ali, racquet ball etc.

But NFL football?

There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with that game. There's so many stops and starts with changes all the time. The flow of the game isn't the same as other team ball sports.

I really want to learn to like it though. I just love how they totally plough into each other and try to cause as much chaos and mayhem. Watching one poor player with the ball get absolutely smashed into the ground by 10 players over 100kg is kinda exciting.

So I've looked on YouTube for understanding the game.........don't understand a cotton pickin' thing.

The Cleveland Browns eh?

Weren't they in that movie with Kevin Costner?

I love the Arizona Cardinals uniforms.....they look awesome.
The problem with American football is television & money. Advertising, commercial breaks, they completely F up the flow of the game. Rules and rules changes--WHAT A DANG MESS! There are some uncontrollable factors involved.

You'll not enjoy picking an underdog in pro football :poop: LOL

Morrisman

Platinum Member
The explanation above is excellent. Thanks Mr IP. Explains a few questions I’ve had.
I used to play Rugby (Union) and yours is quite similar to Rugby League, but with that one forward pass allowed.