What sources should I study from for sight reading?

pt3407

Hey guys,

I have a big band audition for youth in some months and here are the requirements for it:

1. Swing feel (varied tempos)
2. Latin feels (varied tempos)
3. Rock beat (varied tempos)
3. Improvised solo (optional)
4. Sight reading (will be provided)

As you can see, sight reading is one of them. What are some good resources that you would recommend for sight reading, keeping in mind that this is for a youth big band audition?

Thanks

Sight reading for set or orchestra ?

There are 'levels' depending on your age group. I'm assuming this is for the school band (high school or below). The funny thing with where you're at, is that the sight reading means literally reading every exact thing you would play in a big band chart at your level. As you get older and move in to college level and above, it's less about reading exact notes/parts and more of the chart implying the feel, and giving you certain rhythms you have to hit with the horns, etc.,...

So I would guess at this point in your playing career, find books that write out everything (the entire drum set part, for instance) because at this age level, music arrangers assume you don't have any experience to know what to play if they provide you with a blank chart that says "time" with distinct horn rhythms written over some bars that they expect you to hit.

Of course, at this stage of your audition process, you don't have time to study everything you would need to pass your audition in a text book fashion anyway. So brush up on your snare drum reading skills just so you know that you can read rhythms when given to you. But also brush up on what the certain styles sound like and be able to emulate that, with steady time and confidence. And look like you're having fun doing it. You should be fine.

If you know how to red basic rhythms I doubt the levels of those will be at any high level of dificulty. The challenge will be to be, cleanm consisten, keeping time and keeping track of where you are.

Being able to get an overview of the piece quickly and having a way of keeping track of periods that works for you are probably the main elements. When there's just a bunch of repetitions it gets hard to keep track no matter how simple the groove, especially when there's' no melody telling you where you must be.

Here is the link to the website if you’d like to get a bit more of a feel for what i’m Auditioning for. http://www.jazz.fm/index.php/education-mainmenu-111/jazzfm91-youth-big-band-mainmenu-114

Are there any specific books you guys can recommend? And should I practice sight reading from something that is specifically for jazz or does it not matter on the genre?

Should I ask the band leader if the sight reading is for the whole kit or only the snare drum?

Thanks

Last edited:
Here is the link to the website if you’d like to get a bit more of a feel for what i’m Auditioning for. http://www.jazz.fm/index.php/education-mainmenu-111/jazzfm91-youth-big-band-mainmenu-114

Are there any specific books you guys can recommend? And should I practice sight reading from something that is specifically for jazz or does it not matter on the genre?

Should I ask the band leader if the sight reading is for the whole kit or only the snare drum?

Thanks

You either just need to read a drum chart, or a lead sheet.

A drum chart only requires you know note values and which note is for which drum.

A lead sheet may require you to recognize keys and chord changes along with the note values.

If you want to ask, I would ask, "Would I, as a drummer, be reading a drum set chart or a lead sheet?"

You are probably going to be asked to play time, maybe a shuffle or Latin grooves.

Are there any specific books you guys can recommend?

Thanks

I own just about every book you could find on big band drumming, and this one is the best. Don’t think twice about the price. It’s worth every penny. My student made All-State Jazz Band two years in a row. This book (and his many, many hours of practice) definitely helped him accomplish his goal. I also use it with my adult students who want to become fluent in the jazz big band style.

https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/1128989/drum-set-methods-cd

While the above book focuses a lot on interpreting ensemble figures, it assumes that you already know how to interpret section figures. For students that need more work in that area, I’ll add this book.
https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/1835/drum-set-methods-cd

Jeff

in my experience with students needing to prepare for a "sight reading" segment of a youth jazz band or big band audition like this it very rare that they are required to read a drum set piece for this "sight reading" portion of the audition ... it is usually reading a snare piece to make sure you understand note values and can read figures

I prepare students for these types of auditions pretty much all the time ... we use a book called Modern Reading Text in 4/4 by Louis Bellson written in collaboration with Gil Breines

it is in my opinion the best reading book available

IMG_2365.jpg

All great suggestions so far. Reading will certainly be a drum chart for some kind of big band arrangement-- not a lead sheet and not a snare drum piece. I wouldn't even ask. You could ask to get a look at their book, to see what kind of stuff they're playing, and how difficult the reading is generally. Even if they say no, at least you asked the right question.

Other books that explain interpretation of drum charts are: Studio and Big Band Drumming by Steve Houghton and Drum Set Reading by Ron Fink-- you can get them from Steve Weiss. For reading practice I use Ted Reed's Syncopation.

This would be a great topic to work on with a knowledgeable teacher. Anyone here (I'm sure) will teach you by skype if you don't know anyone locally.

All great suggestions so far. Reading will certainly be a drum chart for some kind of big band arrangement-- not a lead sheet and not a snare drum piece.

I disagree respectfully of course ... in every youth jazz band audition situation I've prepared a student for the "sight reading" portion of the audition has always been a snare drum piece for simply reading rhythms

in my 12 years of teaching I've prepared students for easily over 100 of these and it is always the same .... rock beat... funk beat... "latin" feels ... uptempo swing ... ballad... improvised solo ... and sight reading

most of the time in these youth "big band" situations they are not even playing many jazz tunes at all ..

I just prepared 2 students for this very situation a couple weeks ago ... an 18 piece youth big band .... and their charts consisted of things like ... Uptown Funk... Oye Como Va... etc etc ... the only big band piece I recall in their rep was Sing Sing Sing... maybe one other ... out of I think 9 tunes

I could be wrong of course in this situation ... but I honestly don't think I've ever seen big band chart reading as part of the sight reading portion of a youth jazz band audition

I usually would agree with Tony, since many school jazz bands (especially middle school bands) unfortunately play mainly pop stuff like Uptown Funk and Crazy Train instead of big band jazz tunes. Don’t get me wrong, I feel that the contemporary stuff is good too, but a jazz band probably should play some jazz!

BUT...

I have to agree with Todd - this seems to be an actual jazz big band formed from the best school players in the area. We have a similar type ensemble in Richmond. How do I know? Check out this YouTube link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6d98VQ2ToCY

Jeff

I usually would agree with Tony, since many school jazz bands (especially middle school bands) unfortunately play mainly pop stuff like Uptown Funk and Crazy Train instead of big band jazz tunes. Don’t get me wrong, I feel that the contemporary stuff is good too, but a jazz band probably should play some jazz!

BUT...

I have to agree with Todd - this seems to be an actual jazz big band formed from the best school players in the area. We have a similar type ensemble in Richmond. How do I know? Check out this YouTube link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6d98VQ2ToCY

Jeff

ah ... I had not seen that this is the situation he is preparing for ...

in this case it very well may be big band charts

that band is very good for a bunch of kids ...

good on you pt3047 ... go kill that audition ... I'm pulling for you my friend

I prepare students for these types of auditions pretty much all the time ... we use a book called Modern Reading Text in 4/4 by Louis Bellson written in collaboration with Gil Breines

it is in my opinion the best reading book available

IMG_2365.jpg

Thanks, I checked this out and it looks like a great book to practice chart reading.

Back