Zildjian Avedis New Beat 14" Hi-Hat Cymbals--Advice required

double bass man

Anybody tried a pair of Zildjian 14" Avedis New Beat Hi-Hats? Do they have a light'ish top? Suitable for a small jazz combo? Not heavy sounding?

Is the Zildjian A Avedis 14" Hi Hats the same as the above mentioned--or a different type of cymbal?

Newbe to cymbals--hence questions.

Your expertise welcome. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds are difficult to convey with words. Plus no two pair of new beats can be compared to one another. I've heard people say NB are OK for jazz, but I see them more in a pop or rock setting. Opinions vary wildly. We can offer general rules of thumb, but when it comes right down to buying something....your ear trumps our words. We could offer unanimous praise for the NB, and if you don't like them...Next!

Do they have a light top. Define a light top. Your light top may be another man's medium top. A gram count would be helpful.

Do you have any music stores nearby to test drive some? If not Mycymbal.com...what you hear is the cymbal(s) you buy.

Last edited:
Yes Zildjian New Beat hats can work for a small jazz combo but........ you might have to use a lighter stick to keep the volume down as NBs can be pretty loud.

Also, if you can afford them, you could pick up a pair of Zildjian 14" K light hats. Definately light and would fit the "jazz combo" environment very well.

Have a listen online first to see if they sound ok to you.

I'm curious what your budget it. We've seen seven virtually identical threads on your hi hat search and you've yet to mention how much you're willing to spend, which can make some differences to the recommendations.

I'm curious what your budget it. We've seen seven virtually identical threads on your hi hat search and you've yet to mention how much you're willing to spend, which can make some differences to the recommendations.
Good point...

Should be a requirement for ANY gear purchasing related thread-"My budget is around $XXXX"

New Beats have been around since the 60s. The Avedis line came out around 2016. If you Google some combination of “Zenstat” and New beats, you find resources on how to date New Beats as well as the ranges of the cymbal weights over the years.

Come on now, you can use New Beats for everything. The masters have done just that since the 40s. It’s the player, not the gear that determines what you can do.

Yes, the top is lighter. On every pair of hi hats, the top is a little lighter, it just works better that way. So get a pair and enjoy. Did you know Steve Gadd used his pair of New Beats for almost 50 years? He finally had to replace them because the center hole widened so much from all the playing it would t center anymore. That’s how long you can use them for at least, and he’s played everything. They’ll be great for you too.

What Bo said. That sums it up nicely. New Beats will work with any style of music, and they always have.

GeeDeeEmm

Thank you everybody for your knowledge--much appreciated. I am new to the drum scene--having played 'strings' for many years. My interests in the drum is to only play snare drum and hi-hat. Like 'strings' the drum scene a minefield of choice--hence questions.
Regarding the hi-hat my budget would be in the region of £150 second hand.

There's a little bit of variety from pair to pair and from era to era, but I've never heard a set that didn't sound good. They were designed to be pretty all-purpose, and I think they fit the bill perfectly. A friend has a set he got back in the 90s and they're his "bury me with these" cymbals.

What Bo said. I use NB regular for our blues/ jazz band. They're not any more inherently loud than any other hats I've used. Mine are older vintage I got used from Reverb. They're aged and broken in and cool as all that.

Get some New Beats from the 70s and you'll be good to go. They're fairly common and as such I've seen them in the $100-$150 range...

Exactly. Every drummer should have a pair of 14" New Beats in their arsenal. And I'm a Paiste guy! :p

I agree! I'm like 95% Paiste. But I've got a 14" New Beat pair that is truly superb. They are the hat to which all others are judged!

Agreed - I am also a Paiste guy but you need a set of NB's - albeit that mine is 15" from the 70's. The other Zildjian that you need no matter what your brand preference is an A Medium Ride 20" around the 2400g mark. Just saying.

I've used my New Beats for every gig I've had for the past 25 years, including hundreds of jazz combo gigs. They work for everything, just be sure to use lighter sticks for quieter gigs.

Back