Would you cancel your sub?

DrumDoug

I play with two bands regularly and fill in with a few more. I had a fill in gig this Friday and arranged a sub for my regular band. First come first served. My fill in gig has been cancelled due to rain in the forecast. A member of my band thinks I should cancel the sub, but I disagree. The sub blocked off his schedule and put in time learning the songs. I don’t think it’s fair to cancel on him, even if I paid him. This has happened to me a few times over the years. I go from two potential gigs to none while my band plays. I’ve been on the other end of it. Twice a local drummer contacted me to sub, only to cancel at the last minute when he became available. Apparently not everyone feels the same as I do about this.

Makes sense, ^^^.

Good topic. If I'm in that position I may ask for or insert a cancelation clause depending on if I'm asked or asking for one. So much money if I take it and it's taken back, or I'll pay X if it happens that I become available and don't need a sub afterall.

let them have the gig, theyve learned the set and booked out their calendar for it, and the favour might be returned one day :)

I would feel bad canceling him because I suddenly was available.

I think it would depend on how far in advance you knew you would be available. If the gig is a week or two out, let the sub keep it.
If it's a month or more away I think it's okay to let them know they aren't needed after all.

Yeah - I had a guy call me a couple of times to give me gigs only to take them back when his schedule worked out. I no longer take his calls. If I give a gig to someone I certainly don’t take it back, but I suppose in music world there are a lot of classless people.

Agreed. There are a LOT of classless people, most of them are managers in their day jobs.

I play with two bands regularly and fill in with a few more. I had a fill in gig this Friday and arranged a sub for my regular band. First come first served. My fill in gig has been cancelled due to rain in the forecast. A member of my band thinks I should cancel the sub, but I disagree. The sub blocked off his schedule and put in time learning the songs. I don’t think it’s fair to cancel on him, even if I paid him. This has happened to me a few times over the years. I go from two potential gigs to none while my band plays. I’ve been on the other end of it. Twice a local drummer contacted me to sub, only to cancel at the last minute when he became available. Apparently not everyone feels the same as I do about this.

That's what I would do. It's his gig now.

It happened to me about 25 years ago and I still remember it. The drummer desperately needed a fill-in. I agreed to take it and spent many hours learning some awful songs. Just before the event, the drummer reneged on the deal. I was polite and professional, but that's the last time the two of us ever did business.

Let the sub play the gig, he put the time in and who knows what else he arranged to technically help you out originally when you couldn't make it. So totally agree with most here, let him play, enjoy your night off.

I wouldn't cancel the sub especially if you want to keep this person as a reliable on call sub. I would go to the gig, support my band, and use it as an opportunity to see how your band sounds from the audience's perspective. Maybe ask to fill in on a song for fun?

Ya, can’t cancel subs. I had a sub gig get cancelled at the last minute once and I never subbed for the guy again.

Back