Why does everyone love Zildjian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gatta say, I'm more than satisfied with my Zildjian's. I've been jumping back in forth between Zildjian and Sabian for the past few years and I always jump back into the Zildjian's. Mind you, I still love my sabians, but I favor my Zildjian's more due to the sound, quality, and appearance. I'm yet to try any Paiste cymbals. All I ever hear is great stuff about them tho. I think I'm afraid of trying them, I don't wanna open the wallet up again for ANOTHER cymbal setup LOL.

I bought an older 22" Paiste Power Ride, and was surprised how clean and focused it sounded compared to my Zildjians.

So, I went and bought a newer 20" Signature Full Ride, and it sounds remarkably similar - clean and focused, just in a slightly different frequency range. Now they both seem to sound too clean and focused. LOL They provide a nice contrast to the Zildjians, but I won't be buying any more of them.

Zildjians seem to have more variety and character to me. I've only got a couple Sabians, but the ones I have cover similar ground that Zildjians already have taken care of for me.

Last edited:
First of all I'm quite sure that Everyone does not love Zildjian cymbals, if they did, there would be no reason to have any other makes. I own a lot of cymbals, both Zildjian and Sabian. I buy cymbals for the way they sound, both on their own and also for the way they mix with others. It never enters my mind the question of durability. I'm still playing some of my dad's Zildjian cymbals from the 1940s and they have no damage at all. Because of possible manufacturing flaws, the way the cymbals are mounted and definitely the way they are played, no cymbal is immune from cracks, keyholes, flea bits or other damage.

Again this morning I was checking out some Hand Hammered Sabian ride cymbals. One or two of them intrigued me especially the 21" Crossover and 22" Liquid rides..

Dennis

Zildjian makes many cymbals that I like.
I love my K Custom Hybrids for example.
I also like cymbals from other manufacturers like Agop, Paiste, etc.
I choose cymbals by sound and not manufacturer.
I have never had any quality issues with Zildjian.
Some of my cymbals are over 40 years old.
I have played the crap out of them over the decades.

Must be a troll thread - ha ha.

Started off with a false premise "Why does everyone love Zildjian?" to stir things up and get some reactions.
Obviously not everyone loves Zildjians.
All cymbal manufacturers have their fans, and most drummers will eventually at least try several other brands than what they usually use.

I would suggest that you visit www.cymbalvote.com. This is Sabians website where yearly they make or introduce 12 prototype cymbals and the public gets to vote on the ones, four only, that Sabian will introduce. There is a tour nation wide, in fact there are stops in EUROPE, with Sabian reps and they bring all 12 with them set them up and you get to go play. I went to our local event and fell in love with 2 of the new offerings and hope they get picked among the four new ones. I play Zildjian now but have a Sabian ride and have no faith to any brand. If the two Cymbals I voted for make the list I will be making a purchase. Register to win all 12 prototypes, one winner, and several chances to win the four winners. I go daily and vote for my 4 in hopes of winning. Do your self a favor, everyone not just the OP, and check out the site.

Attachments

• DSC08784.JPG
    DSC08784.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
You do know that HH for Sabian stands for "Hand Hammered" Series right?

Remo isn't bad. I have no issues with them. I've played Evans and they sound like wet tin foil. I've played Aquarian, they drop out of tune very fast same thing with Attack. I don't understand why Bozzio is hooked on them. Probably cause he only has to hit all of his +400 drums one time so he doesn't notice they have no tone.

I'm going to go through this 1 by 1.
-Sabian's HH series is not fully hand hammered, the cymbals are pressed by machines into shape and then they do a final hand hammering to finish it off, if you look at these vs. any of the turkish companies the hand hammering is a lot less complex, as if it was almost an after thought. Point is, it doesn't stop them from sounding great, I have a couple myself.
-He is being sarcastic, making fun of these very threads, where someone makes fun of a specific brand or product.
-Why does everyone on the internet have to make fun of Bozzio, sure he has a huge kit, but he uses it, just in a non-traditional way.

I would suggest that you visit www.cymbalvote.com. This is Sabians website where yearly they make or introduce 12 prototype cymbals and the public gets to vote on the ones, four only, that Sabian will introduce. There is a tour nation wide, in fact there are stops in EUROPE, with Sabian reps and they bring all 12 with them set them up and you get to go play. I went to our local event and fell in love with 2 of the new offerings and hope they get picked among the four new ones. I play zildjian now but have a Sabian ride and have no faith to any brand. If the two Cymbals I voted for make the list I will be making a purchase. Register to win all 12 prototypes, one winner, and several chances to win the four winners. I go daily and vote for my 4 in hopes of winning. Do your self a favor, everyone not just the OP, and check out the site.

I was at a store that had the Sabian reps and cymbals recently. That Manta one (or whatever), was pretty strange. The guy bent it into different shapes, and each shape changed the sound.
They also had some pretty big hi-hats there that I gave a try.
Didn't vote there because they said you could do it on-line too.

They had an iPad there where you could register and vote. I did it there and everyday I remember to online. they like the exposure and I'd like to win a cymbal. The store even gave away a Sabian cymbal in a drawing just for coming in. And the Rep like the shot of this cymbal I took.

http://youtu.be/1dZwhph0YBg

Attachments

• DSC08794.JPG
    DSC08794.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
I don't own any Zildjians, but can understand their appeal. To me, there is nothing as smooth as a pair of new beats. Love me some Arman medium ride too!

Isn't the whole "machine made" argument redundant at this point? Clearly they're doing something right.

I'm going to go through this 1 by 1.
-Sabian's HH series is not fully hand hammered, the cymbals are pressed by machines into shape and then they do a final hand hammering to finish it off, if you look at these vs. any of the turkish companies the hand hammering is a lot less complex, as if it was almost an after thought. Point is, it doesn't stop them from sounding great, I have a couple myself.
-He is being sarcastic, making fun of these very threads, where someone makes fun of a specific brand or product.
-Why does everyone on the internet have to make fun of Bozzio, sure he has a huge kit, but he uses it, just in a non-traditional way.

Bozzio uses so much, it's just so excessive and unnecessary. I can't stand drummers who have to take 7 hours to set up a kit to play for an hour. If it were you or me with a kit like that we couldn't even play a local show because a bar can't even fit it in there. It's the same thing with Joey Jordison using 6 toms, 4 decabons, 3 bass drums (when he uses a double bass pedal on just one kick) and a marching snare when he's got two other members of the band with them. Does he use them? Not at all. The same thing with Bozzio, it looks like he's versatile based on just his set up. I could go into my local Guitar Center play a set rattle an egg shaker and hit a bongo while using my left foot for cowbell while playing an expensive kit, does it make me good? No, it's just a bunch of stuff mashed together.

Bozzio uses so much, it's just so excessive and unnecessary. I can't stand drummers who have to take 7 hours to set up a kit to play for an hour. If it were you or me with a kit like that we couldn't even play a local show because a bar can't even fit it in there. It's the same thing with Joey Jordison using 6 toms, 4 decabons, 3 bass drums (when he uses a double bass pedal on just one kick) and a marching snare when he's got two other members of the band with them. Does he use them? Not at all. The same thing with Bozzio, it looks like he's versatile based on just his set up. I could go into my local Guitar Center play a set rattle an egg shaker and hit a bongo while using my left foot for cowbell while playing an expensive kit, does it make me good? No, it's just a bunch of stuff mashed together.

Have you watched any videos of Bozzio, he doesn't play the kit like you would yours, he plays it as if it were a melodic instrument, like a xylophone or a piano. Everything is a note, so you can't really compare him to the average drummer with a big kit.

Back on topic, I believe all companies turn out some magical cymbals. You just have to pick through them. To me a magical cymbal....I don't know if it's true, it's probably not, but I imagine that there's more silver in that particular piece of metal. You know how it's copper, tin and a trace of silver? The one Zildjian I use, a 17" Custom K crash, it sounds silvery to me. It's got these great shimmery, very expensive sounding overtones, not cheap sounding like brass.

Actually I do use one more Zildjian, a pretty hefty bottom Mastersound Hi hat that magically pairs with my fairly thin and really shimmery and silvery sounding Masterworks Vintage Series top cymbal. Same with my heavier MasterWorks 22" Custom Series ride. That cymbal really sounds silvery. That's the only way I can describe it. I absolutely am in love with my A list cymbal set. I use a Masterworks 18" crash, the 17" Zildjian K Custom crash and a 19" SoulTone crash/ride, the 22" Masterworks Ride, and also my 10" Sabian AAX splash which gets a ton of use and some serious abuse on certain endings.

It sounds so good abused, it's really worth it if I break it, I'm actually trying to crack it, and so far it keeps coming back like a champ. It's the 2nd one I have, I have another in my studio because I love the sound, and they both sound identical so I'm not worried if I crack one. Everybody gets a big kick out of seeing me viciously pummel it mercilessly, like 15 or 20 abusive hits in 3 seconds, during certain endings.

My point is I have a mix of cymbals, and they all work artfully together. Zildjain makes some great stuff, as do all the other companies. Zildjain also lets some nasty sounding (IMO) stuff out their doors. I played a gig last night with a 2nd drummer (Allman tribute band) and this guy has a particularly rude sounding 22" Zildjain ping ride. Not a good rude either. Very roar-y with obnoxious overtones. Maybe the way he played it had a part, but it wasn't a nice example of a good Zildjain ride IMO.

In the 60's as a young drummer in the US,there wasn't a lot of choices.Everybody carried Zildjian,a few Paiste which were usually authorized Ludwig distributors and some UFIP here and there...just a few pieces.Nobody I knew even talked about anything but Zildjian.Gretsch dealers also sold K Zildjian which were at the time still a seperate company and Turkish made.At the time the big 3 of Ludwig,Gretsch and Slingerland also sold cymbals with their drums.I'm leaving out some other drum makers here,but you get the idea.

At any rate and at the risk of offending anyone,there's Zildjian ,and everybody else.Out of the estimated 34 different cymbal makers in the world(which dosen't include numerous independant cymbalsmiths) Zildjian accounts for over 65% of all cymbal sales world wide.

Now a days,there are also many different lines and models made by the larger cymbal makers.In the 60's you walked into a music store and bought a crash or a ride of whatever size and weight you wanted,and 99% of the time,they were A Zildjians.

So.like it or not ,Zildjian is THE most recognizeable name in cymbals,and the oldest family owned business in the world..although the Beretta family also makes that claim.:)

Steve B

The first quality cymbal. I ever bought was a 16 inch K dark crash. Every cymbal I've bought since has been a Zildjian, not because I have some particular attachment to them, but I have always been able to find the sound in my head in them. I do love them!

First of all I'm quite sure that Everyone does not love Zildjian cymbals, if they did, there would be no reason to have any other makes. I own a lot of cymbals, both Zildjian and Sabian. I buy cymbals for the way they sound, both on their own and also for the way they mix with others. It never enters my mind the question of durability. I'm still playing some of my dad's Zildjian cymbals from the 1940s and they have no damage at all. Because of possible manufacturing flaws, the way the cymbals are mounted and definitely the way they are played, no cymbal is immune from cracks, keyholes, flea bits or other damage.

Again this morning I was checking out some Hand Hammered Sabian ride cymbals. One or two of them intrigued me especially the 21" Crossover and 22" Liquid rides..

Dennis

I do agree with Dennis here a bit. I bring this particular post up because for some reason, regardless of how different we all feel towards different cymbals from different manufacturers, I have to say that I think Zildjian laid down that "base sound" that every cymbal gets compared to, decades ago. If all the manufacturers were so different, why is it on every recording I listen to, I can't tell whose cymbals they are? Like drums, it all sounds a bit generic. Cymbals ride, crash, and hats are tight or sloshy, regardless of who made them. Bozzio again comes to mind for interesting uses for his china cymbals, as does Steve Jordan for experimenting with large hi-hats, but those are the only two that kinda' come away with a different sound. Maybe Billy Ward by putting thin cymbals against his big rides to get this crunchy sound (Bozzio had already done this too), but leave the cymbals alone and they all tend to sound alike. Or is it me? Pick a favorite album (preferably newer when we know there are many different cymbal brands) and tell me if you can tell who made the cymbals. It's like photographers and name-brand lenses - after you see the image, how can you tell what he used?

We can be loyal to our favorites, but in the end, I doubt anyone listening cares ;)

Bozzio uses so much, it's just so excessive and unnecessary..... The same thing with Bozzio, it looks like he's versatile based on just his set up.
Unreal, that your take on Bozzio is just his current gig. Gee .... he started with Frank Zappa (1975) ..... replaced Bill Bruford, in the band UK (1978) .... left them in the early 80's, and started Missing Persons, with ex-Zappa guitarist Warren Cuccurullo. Jammed with a whole lot of major players (including Jeff Beck), as a sessions guy/tour drummer. Wasn't until about 1995, that he started into his solo drumming project.​
Now, if all you've ever experienced is Bozzio solo drumming, you might wanna gig deeper into his past works. He built a 20 year foundation prior to going solo. And, I'm pretty sure it's those first 20 years of playing (and proving himself over and over) that allows him the freedom to pursue his passion of solo drumming.​
Also, Terry plays Sabian, not Zildjian. Another "not everyone" guy, to add to the list.​

Have you watched any videos of Bozzio, he doesn't play the kit like you would yours, he plays it as if it were a melodic instrument, like a xylophone or a piano. Everything is a note, so you can't really compare him to the average drummer with a big kit.

I have, I love his early stuff. But he got too caught up in the fact that he could get anything and everything he wanted drum wise from anyone, and he took it all. He is very soulful I will give him that. There are a few extras I use with my kit (xylophone and electric pad) but there's a line between being excessive and what you actually use. And to me he's just excessive at this point of his career.

The only piece of drum gear I've ever loved was an old Camco bass drum pedal that would be considered far too flimsy by today's standards. But that pedal read my right foot's mind.

Zildjian does make damn fine cymbals, though.

The only piece of drum gear I've ever loved was an old Camco bass drum pedal that would be considered far too flimsy by today's standards. But that pedal read my right foot's mind.

Zildjian does make damn fine cymbals, though.

Camco actually made one of the best pedals ever. Camco was bought out by TAMA and DW and both of those companies took the engineering of this pedal into both their past and current product lines. Ever notice how Camco, DW and Tama have the same foot board style? look at the Camco "O" and the DW "0"

http://www.drumforum.org/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-3582-050455300 1297863385_thumb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back