Which of these rides is best?

cartre12321

I primarily play rock music, but I don't limit myself to that, and bring in influences from many genres. Sometimes my band will sound like a metal band, other times it's pretty jazzy, so I need versatility.

I generally like darker sounding rides, and I don't need it to cut through the music, but it can't be so quiet that you can't hear it. I'm mostly familiar with sabian cymbals, but if there's a ride from another company that you think would fit my needs, feel free to suggest it.

The rides I've been looking at are :

HHX 22" Legacy Heavy Ride
Paragon 22" Ride
HH 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride
HH 22" Jam Master Ride
HH 22" Liquid Ride

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with those rides you've listed. However, if you are looking for versatility, why not look for a good used Ziljdian A or Sabian AA? Steve Maxwell hooked up with Sabian and hand picked sets of Sabian AA's that have a real vintage sound to them. It think they would be worth checking out. The older rides can be a little bit darker but will cut through the mix just fine. And they won't cost you near as much.

As with any cymbal, the model will only get you in the ball park of how it's going to sound. I and a friend both have the Sabian 22" Jam Master ride. Mine is much heavier than his. If you really liked how mine cut and you ordered one and it sounded like his you would be disappointed in how washy his sounds. Vise Versa, if you liked the tone of his and received mine, you wouldn't like how pingy it sounds. You really have to try cymbals out in person to really know what it's going to sound like. There's too much variation even between cymbals of the "same" model.

One of the Sabian Raw Bell Dry Ride cymbals should float your boat quite nicely. Absolutely no other ride cymbal I've played so far has had the consistent sound qualities or versatility of the RBDR series. (I play R&R and country cover music.) My personal favorite is the 21" HHX RBDR, but I like the AAX 21" RBDR, as well. The choice here would decided by the relative "dark" tones you desire, so I would suggest the HHX version. I don't think you can go wrong here.

GeeDeeEmm

I primarily play rock music, but I don't limit myself to that, and bring in influences from many genres. Sometimes my band will sound like a metal band, other times it's pretty jazzy, so I need versatility.

I generally like darker sounding rides, and I don't need it to cut through the music, but it can't be so quiet that you can't hear it. I'm mostly familiar with sabian cymbals, but if there's a ride from another company that you think would fit my needs, feel free to suggest it.

Paragon 22" Ride
HH 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride
HH 22" Jam Master Ride
HH 22" Liquid Ride

I own a hh dry raw bell.
Pretty pingy ,not much wash,some darker overtones .
I have a 20 in K custom that sounds very similar.
I also have an AA raw 21 that is brighter ,but has more wash.
You can find those AA's quite cheap (<$150 bucks) ,used.

Given the parameters you have set the 22" HHX Legacy Heavy ride would be best suited for you. It has enough projection and is not all ping and high end. They are moderately crashable unlike the others listed.

Omni, Omni, Omni. I have a 22 AAX and love it's ride sound. It has a good crash also. I didn't like the HHX. A little too trashy. I really like the AA RBR but they don't crash well. Maybe some day I can buy one of those also. I've hear great things about the Legacy. You should go somewhere to try them out, and let your ears decide. I think there are some great K's and A's out there.

Yeah, if you're looking for versatile, I don't think any model of RBDR is going to do it for you. You may stumble upon some oddball unusually light specimen, but they aren't really known for crashability.

I'd try some Omni's as previously mentioned, I'd also try an Evolution and a Groove Ride

I have a HH Jam master. I like it a lot; its a dark, good sounding cymbal. Mine has a really nice ping sound and gives me a clear ride. I bought it used off a guy I know who is a professional jazz drummer..he hated it and felt that it didn't go with the music he plays at all. You really need to hit these for yourself and decide.

Paragon 22" Ride
HH 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride
HH 22" Jam Master Ride
HH 22" Liquid Ride

I used to own the 22" Legacy and I've played the Paragon. The Legacy sounds amazing, but kind of raw if you're not used to it. The Paragon is a beautiful ride too, but a bit loud for my tastes. The Legacy is my pick.

Have you considered Paiste? Their 22" Dark Energy Mk II is amazing.

21" HHX RBDR would be my vote.

I own the AAX stadium ride which is what I would consider a Rock/Metal ride. I've had my eyes on the HHX RBDR for a while since I need something a little tamer for different genres.

Nothing cuts like a raw bell on a ride.

I own a hh dry raw bell.
Pretty pingy ,not much wash,some darker overtones .

Yeah, if you're looking for versatile, I don't think any model of RBDR is going to do it for you. You may stumble upon some oddball unusually light specimen, but they aren't really known for crashability.

I'd try some Omni's as previously mentioned, I'd also try an Evolution and a Groove Ride

Yeah, RBDRs all have not much wash and to me are not musical at low volume, same with the Paragon. The Groove ride has a great crash and bell, and the Legacy Heavy is a little heavier than that but still has those characteristics. Those two would be what I'd check out if you want to stay with Sabian. One adjacent Meinl model you might like is a 21" or 22" Byzance Traditional Medium ride. They're hand-hammered and a bit more "natural" sounding than any HHX ride to my ear, though if the rest of your setup is Sabian, its depth might sound a little out-of-place.

The one that sounds good to YOUR ear. Take along a knowledgeable drummer friend whose opinion you trust and test drive a few. Benchmark what you both agree and disagree on and take it from there.

Back