Which drum throne would you choose?

Yup, I used to own a DW back in the 90's. I never felt it was uncomfortable. I agree, the Pork Pies are very cushioned. I like my Roc n Soc more though. :p

I think I'm just spoiled.

When I started playing, the only thing I could afford was a really cheap, single-braced Gibraltar throne with the absolute smallest seat with just a little bit of "padding." I'm a big dude, and after several years, the tripod broke. I was so poor at the time, I couldn't afford a drum throne; however, I scraped together some money and just bought a new tripod. I played on that same drum seat for 8-9 years, and it was the ONLY drum throne I'd ever had. I got married, the first Christmas my wife bought me a custom Pork Pie drum throne with a roc n soc backrest. I've never gone back on a cheap throne since then.

Thrones are like shoes, so maybe it wasn’t right for you. If it was used, it could have been way older than it looked too.
It wasn't used, that's for sure. The foam lost it's firmness pretty quickly though. Probably threw it away after six months I think, and I didn't even sit on it that much. I don't weigh more than 190 lbs either.

I've tried all the thrones I can get my butt on, and the Roc-N-Soc round spindle throne is the winner for me. Pork Pies are actually too cushy for me, and nitro thrones tend to bounce on me when I start using both legs, which is pretty much the whole show.

I'd go with roc n soc or Pork Pie Big Boy.

Yes, they cost more, but in 6 months, you'll be glad you spent the extra money. Keep your eyes open for a used one.

First of all, never buy a used throne. That's like buying a used mattress. Gross and disgusting.
Secondly, regarding cost, check out the Sonor 6000 throne. Pretty much impossible to find one available in the U.S., but I got one. You're looking at over $300. I love it, but that's a lot of dough.

When I was choosing a drume throne, the most critical factor for me was which one would go the lowest. I sit with my upper leg/thigh parallel to the ground. I'm 5'9" tall and an inseam of about 31". I found most thrones would not go low enough for my legs to be parallel to the ground. I ended up with a Tama standard drumf throne. I think it's the HT130. It's not the most comfortable one I've got because the padding is hard and less voluminous. I have a Yamaha throne that has a nice seat on it but it's too high for me. Clearly I can't be of much help in your search. Sorry if I've wasted anyone's time with this post.

The new Pearl thrones are fabulous. Not available in retail yet.
Never mind... I finally got one, and it doesn't feel at all like the one I sat on at the NAMM show. It's nice, but it's got some sort of gel in the padding that isn't firm enough for me. Sort of like sitting on a ball. Sending it back.

Last edited:
Back