Which drum throne would you choose?

ManosMax13

This is somewhat of a big list of drum thrones. These all cost the same where I live. I want you guys to tell me what they have in common and the differences and what would you personally choose and why.

DIXON PSN 9000
DW 5100 Drum Throne
PDDTC00 Concept Series Drum Throne PDP
DC-2.3 Drum Throne DrumCraft
Gretsch 9608-2 Drum Throne
Tama HT75WN Drum Throne
Mapex MXT570A Drum Stool
Gibraltar 9608E Drum Throne
Mapex MXT575A Drum Stool
Tama HT330 Drum Throne

Take care and thanks for all the help,
Manos.

That's quite the list, and I doubt you'll find someone who's tried all of them.

What you will get on here, and should listen to, is advice to buy the best quality throne you can afford and find comfortable. Don't hesitate to go to your local music store and try a few.

After all, it's the one piece of equipment in your kit that gets used the most.

That's quite the list, and I doubt you'll find someone who's tried all of them.

What you will get on here, and should listen to, is advice to buy the best quality throne you can afford and find comfortable. Don't hesitate to go to your local music store and try a few.

After all, it's the one piece of equipment in your kit that gets used the most.
The thing is that the stores are not available near me at all so I will order them online and cant try them.

Fir gigging I recently ditched my heavy duty padded throne and went to a lightweight, compact one that fits in my hardware case. I’m happy with the cheap Pearl one with memory foam in the seat. Half the weight and half the thickness. Not quite as comfy, but I’m only on it for 45 minutes at a time.

Fir gigging I recently ditched my heavy duty padded throne and went to a lightweight, compact one that fits in my hardware case. I’m happy with the cheap Pearl one with memory foam in the seat. Half the weight and half the thickness. Not quite as comfy, but I’m only on it for 45 minutes at a time.
I want something stable for my house setup.

I like Mapex and Gibraltar hardware, so I would probably get one of those. Peace and goodwill.

I've had excellent luck with the Gibraltar throne. It's easy to dial-in and once you get it there, it doesn't move on its own. Very solid and dependable.

I'd go with roc n soc or Pork Pie Big Boy.

Yes, they cost more, but in 6 months, you'll be glad you spent the extra money. Keep your eyes open for a used one.

I've had the original style Roc'n'Soc for 8 years now. Most of that time I've been an 8 hour a day practicer

Haven't had a reason to change yet.

Pretty much feels like it's not even there.

A comfy throne is pretty much the most important part of your kit.

I had a Roc 'n' Soc once. Never again. Cheapest, worst foam I've ever sat upon. Maybe it was counterfeit?

Last edited:
I had a Roc 'n' Soc once. Never again. Cheapest, worst foam I've setter sat upon. Maybe it was counterfeit?
Thrones are like shoes, so maybe it wasn’t right for you. If it was used, it could have been way older than it looked too. I didn’t realize how much the padding on my 25 year old one was, till I got the new one. The old one doesn’t look any different in terms of wear, so you can’t tell how old by looking at them.

I’ve used a Gibraltar screw-type and a Tama hydraulic.

The main lock nut on the Gibraltar broke three times and every time they gave me a new one cuz of the lifetime warranty (and I kept the original receipt). It was a wide-ass model and very comfortable. I ended up giving it to another drummer who couldn’t afford a new throne. He loved it and I made a friend.

The Tama hydraulic is expensive but the float action is what I like. Plus I added a backrest and I can sit for hours without slouching.

That said, order two or three and return the ones you don’t like.

I like DW, hardware, so I'm going to suggest the DW; However, I use a Roc N Soc, and I love it. I also have an older model Tama 1st chair, it is not the best I've had, but it is ok. It has lasted a long time. If you can, do what cbphoto suggested and order two or three so you could compare.

I would go with Tama since I mostly use Tama hardware for the last decade and was always impressed by its sturdiness as well as usability. Not that I wouldn't expect other brands to be as solid, but with Tama I KNOW.

I like DW, hardware, so I'm going to suggest the DW;

I have no issue with DW's hardware. Have you sat on one of their thrones though? After sitting on Pork Pie Big Boy drum thrones for over 15 years now, the nicest DW throne feels like concrete to me. YMMV.

I have no issue with DW's hardware. Have you sat on one of their thrones though? After sitting on Pork Pie Big Boy drum thrones for over 15 years now, the nicest DW throne feels like concrete to me. YMMV.
Yup, I used to own a DW back in the 90's. I never felt it was uncomfortable. I agree, the Pork Pies are very cushioned. I like my Roc n Soc more though. :p

Back