Where to get custom shell blanks?

RichFaulk

Is there anywhere that supplies custom shell blanks? The kit I have does not offer an 18" floor tom. I'd love to be able to order an unfinished shell where I can pick the dimensions (18x17), material (maple), thickness (6mm/7 ply) and bearing edge (45). And then apply my own hardware and finish. Is there anyone that does that?

Precision Drum sells Keller shells and will cut edges for you. I had them make me a couple of small tom toms a couple of years ago and (like everything else I've ever had them do for me) they came out great and exactly to my requested specifications.

@cbphoto @Winston_Wolf thanks that's the first place I found but they do not appear to offer an 18x17 maple shell. The thickness just needs to be in the ball park but the 18x17 dimension is set in stone.

Only company that seems to make a production 18x17 right now is Sonor with the SQ1 but it costs as much as an entire kit and I'd have to put a WMP wrap on it anyway (and an AQ2 badge 😏).

@cbphoto @Winston_Wolf thanks that's the first place I found but they do not appear to offer an 18x17 maple shell. The thickness just needs to be in the ball park but the 18x17 dimension is set in stone.

Only company that seems to make a production 18x17 right now is Sonor with the SQ1 but it costs as much as an entire kit and I'd have to put a WMP wrap on it anyway (and an AQ2 badge 😏).
From the Keller website:

Keller Info.jpg

Reactions: jda

Precision can cut an inch off of an 18x18 shell.

Ok, I’ll bite…why is 18 x 17 set in stone?

Sonor likes em
I think they have since the early 50s..

Sonor likes em

It's birch, would need refinished to match my kit and costs as much as an entire kit itself.

I know just pointing out to Jimmy not an entirely unknown or not in use size.......

After pricing it all out, it looks like it would come in around $550. Shell would be from Nordic.

Shell - $220
Lugs - $85
Lug Screws - $15
Leg Brackets - $80
Legs - $45
Wrap - $60
Badge - $10
Heads - $40

Yea/nay?

Sonor likes em

Well I guess there’s worse things to obsess over, but it sure wouldn’t be top of the list for me. But then, I am not particularly obsessed about anything except Ampeg bass amps ;)

Reactions: jda
Depending on what kind of drums have the hardware you need it might be cheaper to buy an orphan drum in a similar size just to scavenge parts from.
I've been looking and it must be an oddball size because the only ones I see are new SQ1s. If you happen to see one, ping me.

Back