Where did my genre go?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Ever been a part of a band where you were playing a specific genre of music, and all of a sudden, it seemed like that genre disappeared overnight?

Genres never really go away, they just become old. There will always be someone listening regardless of how uncool or passe it might be. Look at the jazz cats. Not only do they cling to music most people dont get, they continue to create and advance something that most would consider dead at this point in time.

Yes. Once upon a time I was a pop punk drummer. That was 20 years ago and no one wants to hear that anymore. Now I play 90's alternative and am forced to deal with classic rock.

If the 2 & 4 never go away, what genre ever goes away?
Anything in a bar that's not Freebird or other classic songs like it.

Start playing an original and suddenly the tables empty out and they're at the bar getting drinks while ignoring you.
Play Freebird for the 5th time & they all come back, beer in hand & yelling "RIP *enter their friends name here*".

I can't say I've experienced the complete erasure of a genre. Music evolves, but its roots never die. For instance, much of what passes as "country" today is a far cry from the vintage sounds of Hank Williams, Marty Robbins, and Roy Rogers, but elements of their influence are alive and well in recent releases. Fortunately, the ghosts of country legends live on.

I played in hard rock hair bands...1991 wasn’t so kind and by 1994 it really was over!! I was oblivious and carried on writing and releasing stuff up until 2013!! 😂 (y)
You weren't alone in your persistent homage to the Golden Age of Metal, Mr. Strange. I knew many a metal musician who experienced a troubling sense of displacement in the early '90s. Some held their ground in spite of the changes taking place around them. It took them years to accept Nirvana and Pearl Jam as legitimate bands, and that recognition came about only after extensive participation in psychotherapy.

Last edited:
You weren't alone in your persistent homage to the Golden Age of Metal, Mr. Strange. I new many a metal musician who experienced an unsettling sense of displacement in the early '90s. Some held their ground in spite of the changes taking place around them. It took them years to accept Nirvana and Pearl Jam as legitimate bands, and that recognition came about only after extensive participation in psychotherapy.
Lol I have a slew of relatives that live in the Highlands of NM.
They and their friends who are in their 40s-50s are still into Thrash Metal like it’s the latest. In short, I know a lot of people that look and dress like Mr. Araya 🤣

Some parts just don’t grab the shiniest thing that comes their way and I can respect that. Otherwise Swifty would be in our local Grocery stores rather than good Ol’ Solid Gold AM.

Lol I have a slew of relatives that live in the Highlands of NM.
They and their friends who are in their 40s-50s are still into Thrash Metal like it’s the latest. In short, I know a lot of people that look and dress like Mr. Araya 🤣
This would be me. ;)
50 years old, have more heavy metal shirts and skull rings than should be allowed & have SiriusXM's Hair Nation locked in 24/7.

I've tried newer stuff & like it for the most part. But then that fades off & I'm back to what I know & love. I make no excuses for it & ignore those saying I'm "stuck in the 80's".
Fook 'em!

You weren't alone in your persistent homage to the Golden Age of Metal, Mr. Strange. I knew many a metal musician who experienced an unsettling sense of displacement in the early '90s. Some held their ground in spite of the changes taking place around them. It took them years to accept Nirvana and Pearl Jam as legitimate bands, and that recognition came about only after extensive participation in psychotherapy.
It took me a good 10 years to appreciate the merits of not washing regularly and wearing flannel. The question that’s bugging me now is “where did my hair go?”...:unsure:😂

Back