What's your latest purchase?

Forgot to mention, I bought a Zoom H6 recorder several weeks ago to capture our band rehearsals (I'm pretty analytical & like to listen to everything we've played, in order to micro-manage my mistakes, timing, tuning, etc., )

However, being a total technophobe ( & a silly old f***wit too:rolleyes:), I immediately handed it over to our lead guitarist, who is a) a trained Sound Engineer, & b) a lot younger & more tech-savvy. Also, he has Cubase on his PC, which my very basic understanding of these things means he can process the recordings & send to me & my bandmates in a format that I can easily download & listen to. Happy days! I can't even remember what it looks like, but as long as I get the songs I'm happy.

I'm expecting the Roland SPD-SX Pro to arrive any day now. I've already suggested to the aforementioned lead guitarist that he'll probably have to take custody of it, program the sounds/effects/ loops/ whatever, then tell me how/when/where to hit it.

Old guys rule! o_O

This is no small task. You might want to smoke some beef brisket or pork ribs for him.
He loves it! 30-something, clever young dude vs. dopey old halfwit drummer(me)...& it's now very Autumnul in the UK; cold, damp & dark most of the time, so unfortunately no ribs or brisket. I'll buy him a beer or two instead!:)

True to my username, I ordered a pair of Yamaha DBR 12 powered PA speakers a couple of days ago. They should arrive tomorrow.

Ironic that I purchased PA speakers given my "retirement" from gigging but I bought them for an altogether different reason. One of the 12" woofers in my legendary 1970's Pioneer speakers died last week and I no longer have a tough-as-nails set of speakers to drum along to. I have a PA in my basement but I need it down there, for band practices. It's not like I have stopped playing.

I'm looking forward to setting up the speakers. Reviews are excellent and they sound like they will be perfect for my needs.

Last edited:
I found my absolute favorite ride cymbal - again! The Paiste Twenty Ride 22" (2007-2011) I once managed to kill. Used, but in great condition:

b33bc47e-b139-4667-b1d7-97cbb8d456d3.jpeg

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Stumbled into a deal for a better kit than the Ddrum I recently posted, to use as a beater; no wrap to bubble from temp/humidity fluctuations. Pacific/PDP M5 (practically identical to the LX series from several years prior).

PXL_20231018_064113902.jpg

Last edited:
My Roland SPD-SX Pro arrived earlier this week, but today was the first opportunity to have a little play with it. All manner of sounds came out of it, some (apparently) due to me hitting it, but others seemingly at random....

Being the technophobe I am ( & ageing, half-witted, stubborn fool, too:rolleyes:), I spoke to our lead guitarist, who, as previously mentioned, is much younger, smarter & more tech-savvy than Moi.

"I suggest that reading the manual might be a good start",
said he. "Otherwise, I think you might just be the owner of the World's first $1000 electronic cowbell...." Ouch!!!

Attachments

• tempImageChktnS.png
    tempImageChktnS.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
After a job in New Hampshire, I made the trek to DCP. There’s always great gear to stoke my fire:

View attachment 139844View attachment 139845

Naturally, I “needed” things. ⬇️ These hats have been on my radar for a couple years. And I’m trying out these reso heads. I’ve used uncoated Genera reso heads for about a decade. I tried Reso 7 heads but they removed low-frequency impact too much for me. I’ve no idea what to expect from these heads.

View attachment 139847
View attachment 139848
Damn! you've got good taste in hats.. 😃.

Damn! you've got good taste in hats.. 😃.
Don't we all? 😂

I own:
14" Paiste Signature Sound Edge (very loud, very cutting)
14" Paiste Signature Traditional top only that I pair with the Sound Edge bottom
14" Paiste Dry Crisp (notably different than the Sig Sound Edge, but prolly not to a guitarist)
15" Paiste 602 ME (kind of a "classic" hat sound that is close to Zildjian New Beat)
16" Paiste PST-X (these were on my kit for years 'cuz I love the sound so much)

I considered making a video to demonstrate their different sounds, but the Paiste "Sound Room" on their web site has the goods.

Don't we all? 😂

I own:
14" Paiste Signature Sound Edge (very loud, very cutting)
14" Paiste Signature Traditional top only that I pair with the Sound Edge bottom
14" Paiste Dry Crisp (notably different than the Sig Sound Edge, but prolly not to a guitarist)
15" Paiste 602 ME (kind of a "classic" hat sound that is close to Zildjian New Beat)
16" Paiste PST-X (these were on my kit for years 'cuz I love the sound so much)

I considered making a video to demonstrate their different sounds, but the Paiste "Sound Room" on their web site has the goods.
Looking at what you've played/own I'm super intrigued to YouTube the PST-X tonight using 🎧.

Little sassy brassy 13”….she packs some dynamite in a small package
I have the 14"X6.5", a real beast, I like it a lot, great choice!!!

Back