What's up with Sonor's marketing decisions?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Can we get a maple kit built in their German factory in America without the year wait and exorbitant cost of an SQ2 order?

Prolites were great drums, was it KHS or the company's decision to basically stop making them available?

Last edited:
Well, I mean I love my birch kit from them and I'll still gladly keep it. But I'm perplexed by their offerings these days.
I'm curious what their thinking is and what future plans they may have (if any) to replace the Prolites.

Last edited:
I looked thru the webpage the other day and a.. For the Money...

I could maybe learn to like- the AQ2 (that's the mid price level Maple right. (AQ1 is balsa ; ) and AQX also balsa ; ) +/- I could pick a jazz/gig set out of that AQ2 and not no way - be ashamed.

But I know those extinct series- German series- you speak of.
Sometimes just gotta Lower your sites and..... You might learn to like +/-

In fact -for the Price- is it the non-maple AQX? in jazz 18/12/14 is a steal!!
If I had the room I'd like to have one.
($449?!?!!

Last edited:
If I wanted maple Sonors I'd get myself a used HiLite kit. Classic era, not overbuilt, sound great. I can't really help you with new Sonors, though.

Last edited:
When I bought my Force 3000 birch kit in 1994, Sonor was having distribution issues in the USA. It took 6 months and $180 to get a replacement hi hat clutch (for their hex-shaped rod; the design was ingenious). Maybe they’re having trouble again. 🤷‍♂️

Can we get a maple kit built in their German factory in America without the year wait and exorbitant cost of an SQ2 order?

Prolites were great drums, was it KHS or the company's decision to basically stop making them available?
If you haven't ever played an AQ2, try to find one at a store to demo, preferably one with the factory heads replaced with something good. You might be surprised.

You know putting my "old" person hat on- Sonor were beech. Sonor added then a cool yellow blonde whiteishwithblack hardware lite JackdeJohnette-ish birch..
when Sonor came out with maple (red?!red!?) the old man.. said wait Sonor "ain't" maple... :)

Last edited:
You know putting my "old" person hat on- Sonor were beech. Sonor added then a cool yellow blonde whiteishwithblack hardware lite JackdeJohnette-ish birch..
when Sonor came out with maple (red?!red!?) the old man.. said wait Sonor "ain't" maple... :)
If I was going to buy a high end German Sonor it couldn't be anything other than beech.

If I was going to buy a high end German Sonor it couldn't be anything other than beech.
Rich what were these:::
Scandinavian Birch right?+{/-

DeJohnette-Sonorlite.jpg

following Lite, what was the HiLite difference? Just how the brackets were attached?

and I been around... too long!!

Lites were birch. Hilites were maple. Which is why I suggested the Hilites earlier.

Would you be willing to pay $2500 ??? Cause I think that would be around the price point.

What, Prolites will be discontinued?? Where does it say that? I don't see it ...
I own one of the new Prolites (snow tiger) and a Vintages kit (as seen in my profile),
and they're my most favourite kits I've ever owned or probably even played :).

Yes, agreed, Sonor kind of stands (stood) for (amazing) beech sets.

Back