What's the obsession with cost vs value vs sound ?

It's exactly this sort of story that makes the whole price point discussion fascinating to me. There's nothing cooler to me than a drummer who can make an inexpensive kit sing.
Thank you ;). Actually I can’t make it sing but I have my moments here and there. They sound good, at least.

Reactions: A J
It's exactly this sort of story that makes the whole price point discussion fascinating to me.
according to Google $180 in 1975 is equal to $1,029 in 2023

this past June I paid $1167 for another (minus a snare) 20/ 12 16 1966 RB Gretsch

so price is relative to a
Time Machine
😁

Last edited:
Reactions: A J
$180 in 1975 is equal to $1,029 in 2023
That would mean I paid about $2300 for the Fender Precision I bought new in 76 for $400. And here I thought I bought it because I couldn’t afford the $2000 Alembic Stanley Clarke used.

That would mean I paid about $2300 for the Fender Precision I bought new in 76 for $400
No. That would mean 2300 if you bought it today

on the Alembic hand $2,000 in 1976 is equal to $10,695 in 2023

Please, somebody ....anybody fill me in on human nature.

What is this obsession every nine days with the comparison of kits at different price points and if they're " worth it".

Swear to God, in my 30 years of buying drums, it's never anything that I have thought of. Never never never. I bought the best kit that I could afford.

And yet it comes up here about every 7 1/2 hours

I literally I do not understand it.

I guess I'll be able to answer whenever I get tired of reading almost every single thread asking the question and then responding to a lot of them. :)

I like hearing about everyone's experiences with different kits at all kinds of price points. I find this valuable because I don't know but a few local drummers, and I never see them anyways because we are all on very separate paths right now.

I enjoy reading about how someone is perfectly happy with their cheap Yamahas in the same that I enjoy someone else trying to figure out how much to spend. Yes, it comes up a lot, but I like reading about drum stuff.

It might be one approach to ask if a kit sucks, or invite others to give some positive feedback to motivate an impulse buy, or allow someone out of left field to say "hold on, don't buy THAT, buy THIS!" etc

I think I made a thread on here one day that was titled "what kit should I buy?" and people didn't know how to deal with it, we need parameters.

Anyone who has owned 20+ kits probably knows that some mid range stuff punches well above its weight and some expensive stuff isn't really that inspiring, it's fun to check it out.

Most kits sound good. You can make most standard kits sound even better with nice heads and good tuning.
The differential for me is the make up of the drum company and their philosophies. That drives me most often to small outfits. The smaller drum companies tend to make more 'premium' more expensive drums. I have zero interest in luxury finishes, exotic woods and gold hardware etc
I think small company made kits are a little better sounding than mass marketed kits. I can afford to pay the difference while only getting a small sound advantage. That advantage is still worth something to me.
I would rather have one really special kit, from a company I feel in tune with, than three or four factory made kits.
All of what I've written I think is fairly obvious to anyone that does a little research. So yes, it surprises me how often this subject comes up.
In short.....
If you want a nice kit that sounds great - there are a ton available to you at most price points.
If you want a little better sounding kit, made by someone you can talk to or email in person - then go for a high end boutique kit.

I feel like a lot of people are driven to find the unicorn....the hidden gem

having always been poor, I try to find the gear that is going to be solid, and last. I feel like I (and a mic through a PA) can make anything sound good, but I need it to last forever.

I was taught to respect gear. To respect the fact that good gear is not disposable b/c I might never get the chance to attain it again. So I do/did a lot of research before I buy. to the point that sometimes I just don't end up with an item b/c I am too cautious.

and I think often times we are told to acquire the best, biggest, brightest and newest in our culture, and we attach status to that.

"If I don't get the unicorn, then I am a sucker"....

as far as the myriad of these kinds of posts, I mostly follow to keep up on gear knowledge. What series is new? Why is it trending? Are there really unicorns? I think most people feel like they found a unicorn, when really it is just another horse with a party hat on. And it is fun to "people watch" as all of the discussion happens and facts and figures are thrown around

over the $1200 price point, I really feel like you can't go wrong with a shell pack from any company...again, maybe b/c of what I look for

This type of thread always makes me think of that excellent video that DCP did comparing five kits across the Ludwig range, at all price points. With the same heads, and the same tuning (thanks to a Tunebot) it was apparent that a) it was quite easy to hear the differences between the kits, and b) that difference was actually quite small in the grand scheme of things.

Whether the price difference was justified has to be a question for the individual wallet owner, but it was an educational video.

:)

I feel like a lot of people are driven to find the unicorn....the hidden gem

having always been poor, I try to find the gear that is going to be solid, and last. I feel like I (and a mic through a PA) can make anything sound good, but I need it to last forever.

I was taught to respect gear. To respect the fact that good gear is not disposable b/c I might never get the chance to attain it again. So I do/did a lot of research before I buy. to the point that sometimes I just don't end up with an item b/c I am too cautious.

and I think often times we are told to acquire the best, biggest, brightest and newest in our culture, and we attach status to that.

"If I don't get the unicorn, then I am a sucker"....

as far as the myriad of these kinds of posts, I mostly follow to keep up on gear knowledge. What series is new? Why is it trending? Are there really unicorns? I think most people feel like they found a unicorn, when really it is just another horse with a party hat on. And it is fun to "people watch" as all of the discussion happens and facts and figures are thrown around

over the $1200 price point, I really feel like you can't go wrong with a shell pack from any company...again, maybe b/c of what I look for

“Horse with a party hat”! 🤣

Priceless…

🙂

In 1993 I spent $2810 for new stained, lacquered Premier Signias.
Two years later I finally had the feeling of spending more than needed to have a good enough experience of enjoyment.

Two years it took. During that time they were set up in my living room and I'd just stare at how sexy there are.

This Summer on a huge stage I took a kick and 6 toms. A 50 year musician said, 'Someone got some new drums. Those are beautiful.'
1993, brother. They are beautiful. Thank you.

Thank you for all the responses. And yes, I understand most everybody's point of view with this, even if I come off snarky or dismissive.

And maybe the way people shop online has changed all this. You used to go into a store, at least the store where I worked in the 80s, and you had a Pearl Export and a Tama rockstar set up, you had a Pearl Masters, maybe a Yamaha kit occasionally a Sonor or a Gretsch, and then by the late 80s, you had DW. And you could actually point out to the customer what the differences were and what he was paying for, whether it was the finishes, or heavier duty spurs, and hoops, or mounting system. But people don't have access to that so they ask online. Which is why a lot of us here say, drive as many hours as you can humanly withstand to a really good drum shop :)

I suppose if you hear the sound difference but don't think it's worth it and don't want to pay it that's one thing. And if you don't hear the sound difference that's another thing. But just to reiterate, I'm not blindly talking about going in and buying a $5500 DW because it's the most expensive kit on the floor at Guitar Center and maxing out your credit card.

Stay tuned for my latest thread " the rusted Tama Rockstar snare drum I got a yard sale this weekend for eight dollars sounds better than my friend's vintage Black Beauty "

Last edited:
I suppose if you hear the sound difference but don't think it's worth it and don't want to pay it that's one thing. And if you don't hear the sound difference that's another thing. But just to reiterate, I'm not blindly talking about going in and buying a $5500 DW because it's the most expensive kit on the floor at Guitar Center and maxing out your credit card.
I think you are right.
Most drum stores these days have few kits in stock, and even less they'll let you try (they are high on a display with pristine heads on them).
I have never been able to audition something in a non musical context and make an informed decision. Maybe comparing something great with something awful, but given drums or cymbals that are fairly equal, I have to hear them in a musical context to make a proper decision.
Also, many drum stores are full of hard surfaces, which is bad for drum sounds.

Fred isn't a big Operation

Silver-Sealer.jpg

21 employed

I don’t know if it’s an obsession. I think it’s just different posters asking for honest comparisons because they don’t know. We’ve all been there. And now in the internet age, it’s easy to get confused because there’s so many to choose from, and there’s so many people who like what they like, so it boils down to fans yelling at each other and people shopping getting more and more confused.
I find that a lot of those recommendations come from a biased perspective. "Grestsch is the finest drumset ever made" "The Ludwig Black Beauty is the best snare" It is what works for what you are doing and to me is not brand dependent but people feel the need to justify their purchases.
Same with trucks "Ford is better than Dodge or Chevy" It is not, it is what you prefer.
I tend to prefer someone that gives you a list of pros and cons as the opinion tends to feel less biased that way.
I for example am Biased against other e-kits having a Roland, I have played all other brands but my preference is now Roland, that may change in the future. But I do give pro's and cons too. Nothing is perfect...

For many at the heart of it is the idea that there is some magic inflection point where you maximize sound, hardware quality, visual appeal and price........the discussion and pursuit of identifying and agreeing upon if and where that inflection point exists is what keeps the conversation going.

It's a drum forum, with drummers, drummers talk about drums.......
Its hard to argue that some more expensive items have better attributes than their cheaper counter parts even if the main ingredients are mostly unchanged.

Back