What's the obsession with cost vs value vs sound ?

That's a time consuming and expensive way to go.
I have always looked at the people I want to emulate and made a note of what they are using.
I bought a Yamaha Recording Custom because Jerry Marotta sounded absolutely amazing playing his.
I walked past a drum shop in London every day. They had a beat up (bare metal looking) Ludwig snare in the window. It intrigued me, but it was £400 (a lot for me at the time) and I knew nothing about it. Then I got hired to play drums alongside Jerry Marotta on a record. So I decided to buy the Ludwig snare. It wasn't there and they said they sold it the day before (after months of it sitting in the window).
I get to the session and Marotta has bought the snare. It sounds absolutely killer. It's a 20's NOB Ludwig.
I have always checked out what other players I like are using, either in person or in magazines, and now you can often ask them on the internet.
Could it be when I say, “bought what you liked” also meant you were doing your homework about what you liked? “Time consuming and expensive” is pretty much what you just said too 😉

Choosing a color was the hardest part.
I borrowed from a credit union. When I was depositing the check the clerk asked if I was buying a car.

I knew I was getting something blue, and when I saw that offering, I was sold...

In that era the influencers were someone you bought and album from and saw live. You based your purchases on that mostly. I doubt a lot of people went of the drum magazines and bought a kit from just an add. It was (for me again) something about using what someone I admired used. it is not now. I use what works for what I am trying to do at the time. For others it is about brand recognition first and sound second. but yes we all can even agree that a certain snare is the undisputed best but it is ultimately the individual who is going to have to make the decision to agree with us or not. (or what BO just said).

yep...for me, it was Omar Hakim (with Sting) and his Pearl kits. I also loved the way the kits looked.

Could it be when I say, “bought what you liked” also meant you were doing your homework about what you liked? “Time consuming and expensive” is pretty much what you just said too 😉
But sometimes you get lost in all the info and get deviated to something you don't like in the first place. I learnt it the hard way

People used to ask the same question 30 years ago.

Just back then they'd walk into a drum shop and ask the person who worked there instead of online.

If you're new to drums or don't know a lot about drums, it's a legitimate question.

Just back then they'd walk into a drum shop and ask the person who worked there instead of online.
What if they tell you misinformation, or flat out lies, to allure you into buying what they get paid the most? I've run into that a few times, and had to sell what I'd bought.

My point was I still took my lead from the pro drummers I looked up to. I didn't go into a drum shop, try everything and bought what I liked on the day. I looked at what other pro drummers were using every day in critical situations.

That is probably the single most economical and clever way of shopping for drum gear that I've ever heard of...... considering that this has come from a well established pro drummer.

Cuts out a lot of wasted time, yessing and noing, being paranoid about making the wrong choice...... great knowledge to impart. You are also pretty much guaranteed to get the sound you are chasing.

So Chris, if I may ask..... with this approach, has there ever been a concern of sounding like other drummers doing things this way?

Or is this what you are actually TRYING to achieve?

I grew up—like, I'd guess, many on here—absolutely drums-obsessed. But a combination of 1) the smallish town where I lived and 2) my otherwise wonderful family having no one else with the slightest interest in musical instruments and 3) my own innate shyness meant I had no one with whom I could discuss drums or drummers or drumming or anything like that. I wanted desperately to but even when I made the trip to Creative Music a few times a year, I couldn't bring myself to actually ask questions. So forums like this have been something of a godsend. Because there are a whole lot of people on here with a whole lot of experience, and quite varied experience at that, who can answer pretty much any question posed. Even if the question has been asked several times a year for the past 29 years and counting. And sometimes it's just fun to talk about drums.

Please, somebody ....anybody fill me in on human nature.

What is this obsession every nine days with the comparison of kits at different price points and if they're " worth it".

Swear to God, in my 30 years of buying drums, it's never anything that I have thought of. Never never never. I bought the best kit that I could afford.

And yet it comes up here about every 7 1/2 hours

I literally I do not understand it.

My main issue with these type of posts is that there's no objective answer anyway, and you're going to get lots of conflicting responses. People like different things. If you haven't figured out what you like, asking other people if you will like something is pointless 🥴

In 1993 I spent $2810 for new stained, lacquered Premier Signias.
Two years later I finally had the feeling of spending more than needed to have a good enough experience of enjoyment.

Two years it took. During that time they were set up in my living room and I'd just stare at how sexy there are.

This Summer on a huge stage I took a kick and 6 toms. A 50 year musician said, 'Someone got some new drums. Those are beautiful.'
1993, brother. They are beautiful. Thank you.
I get the same response when I take my 35 year old Pearl Prestige WLX World Series to gigs. Those interested can't believe they're that old. It has held up very well, as the previous owner and myself have looked after them. Things are thunderously good for live music.

My main issue with these type of posts is that there's no objective answer anyway, and you're going to get lots of conflicting responses. People like different things. If you haven't figured out what you like, asking other people if you will like something is pointless 🥴
Exactly.

Probably 6 people try to help the poster and answer the question while another 14 just say what they play :).

That is probably the single most economical and clever way of shopping for drum gear that I've ever heard of...... considering that this has come from a well established pro drummer.

Cuts out a lot of wasted time, yessing and noing, being paranoid about making the wrong choice...... great knowledge to impart. You are also pretty much guaranteed to get the sound you are chasing.

So Chris, if I may ask..... with this approach, has there ever been a concern of sounding like other drummers doing things this way?

Or is this what you are actually TRYING to achieve?
This is another thread, perhaps, and it's something I've been talking to my friends about. You are who you are regardless of the drums and cymbals that you play.

But to comment on something on your post. There is absolutely, positively, without any doubt, no way that you will sound like someone else regardless of what you play. I'm not sure if that's your intent with that question but it's how I interpreted it.

This is another thread, perhaps, and it's something I've been talking to my friends about. You are who you are regardless of the drums and cymbals that you play.
That is true, but as the player playing the instrument you want it to sound good, perform well.
I struggled in the studio, hated my drum sound. I knew a lot of top players at the time were recording with Yamaha Rec Custom. Then I was in the room the Jerry Marotta set up and played his Yamaha kit and it blew me away. It was 75% him, but also his tuning, his head choices, his drum choices too. So being green, I just copied everything. Bought a Yamaha kit, bought the same heads he used, tried to tune them like he did. And I never looked back
You don't make any of that progress by buying things you think you like in a drum store.

My point was I still took my lead from the pro drummers I looked up to. I didn't go into a drum shop, try everything and bought what I liked on the day. I looked at what other pro drummers were using every day in critical situations.
I did that in the beginning, now the stuff I like is too expensive ($1500 snare or $700 cymbal) because the guys that I listen to use that gear. The difference is they are sponsored so they either get it for free or at a big discount, I don't so I have to look for what would give me that sound with minimal compromise but on a more reasonable price range.
I have been able to achieve that for the most part so that proves that you don't need to spend a fortune to make a kit sound great.
Of course if you spend a lot on something that you want and will use... do it at least once in your life. don't live with the what if....
I don't need to spend $1000 on a guitar, I can buy a $300 that will get the job done, but there will be obvious differences in quality so, the $1000 guitar it is. better to buy once than end up buying the cheap guitar then buying the expensive guitar anyway..( I guess my wife knows me better than I know myself).

Attachments

• Solar.jpg
    Solar.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 4

But to comment on something on your post. There is absolutely, positively, without any doubt, no way that you will sound like someone else regardless of what you play. I'm not sure if that's your intent with that question but it's how I interpreted it.

Great response.

You've kinda nailed the answer really.

Yeah, I was implying the risk of sounding too similar to other drummers in my post.

But yeah, you've given a great perspective.

Great response.

You've kinda nailed the answer really.

Yeah, I was implying the risk of sounding too similar to other drummers in my post.

But yeah, you've given a great perspective.
I've gone ahead and posted something about that so thank you for the nudge

If you need a tool, get it. Most of us are still striving to develop.

Bare with me. As a frequently part time employee and on and off student I bought expensive drums after 3 years of tiring of fighting equipment problems. Out of round shells that contact the head support ring and rim. Bearing issues. Pedals with sluggish slave pedals. Stripping wing nuts and position limiting hardware.

Sketchy equipment was keeping, or hindering, me from focusing on practice and developement.
I wanted no more equipment reasons to blame so that I could isolate and evaluate my body parts while performing their roles.

I don't need that approach now, because I pretty well can understand what the body parts are supposed to do.

Also, buy what makes you happy. Other people usually suck at advice or understanding your approach at ownership.
Just months after buying my kit and joining a band I had our guitar player laughingly tell me my drums were beautiful pieces of craftsmanship, even if I couldn't play them. Yeah well, I don't see anyone else drumming with you, Randy. We had to create a bass player from a friend Chuck to complete a band. The band never gigged for money when I was there. But the next band did. A lot. Twice at a huge stage that most bands didn't get to. The same stage as Jackyl and Anthrax used.

I still see some pettiness when I share my latest guitar find with jam buddies and acquaintances. You don't have to be jealous, dude. Get out there and find your own deals. Suck on this $216 receipt for that US made Martin.

If you need a tool, get it. Most of us are still striving to develop.

Bare with me. As a frequently part time employee and on and off student I bought expensive drums after 3 years of tiring of fighting equipment problems. Out of round shells that contact the head support ring and rim. Bearing issues. Pedals with sluggish slave pedals. Stripping wing nuts and position limiting hardware.

Sketchy equipment was keeping, or hindering, me from focusing on practice and developement.
I wanted no more equipment reasons to blame so that I could isolate and evaluate my body parts while performing their roles.

I don't need that approach now, because I pretty well can understand what the body parts are supposed to do.

same here...I always spend more money up front for gear that I don't have to "MacGyver" down the road. As I have mentioned before, in my world, gear is a one time buy. An investment. I don't get to A/B expensive equipment.

I also tell this to my students parents. "Don't buy crap, b/c you will spend twice as much keeping it up, or making up for poor quailty AND you will have a kid who is not having fun b/c their gear looks, sounds,. and reacts like crap"

Back