What's something music-related that scared you as a kid?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Since it's October, I thought this was appropriate.

Is there anything that scared you as a kid that we music related? Maybe an artist? A song? A certain piano teacher? Etc?

Since it's October, I thought this was appropriate.

Is there anything that scared you as a kid that we music related? Maybe an artist? A song? A certain piano teacher? Etc?

It would be something in a music video that we are no longer allowed to state taking a opinion against.

Also, when I was 9-10 I went to an outdoor concert at the fairgrounds to see the New York Dolls and Nazareth. The "androgynous" clothing and behavior interfered with the music, imo. But I also understood that it was part of their schtick in the world that they came from. Some 13-15 year olds gave me something psychedelic prior to.

Listening to "Witch Hunt" for the first time when I was 11 years old, while reading along with the lyrics,
and pondering the psycho-social implications of the phenomena described in the song

banjo's....still do

some conductors/directors as @Push pull stroke mentioned

opera singers

mainstream pop music, regardless of era

Listening to "Witch Hunt" for the first time when I was 11 years old, while reading along with the lyrics,
and pondering the psycho-social implications of the phenomena described in the song

same for me with Red Sector A

I hope everyone has since (successfully) Recovered ;)

Tommy Roe's "Sweet Pea" may still linger somewhere in my brain.

Last edited:
The first time I listened to the entire Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album, I was about 10 and all alone upstairs in my brother's bedroom, listening on his good stereo, while the rest of the family was downstairs watching 60 Minutes. It was winter, it was dark out, and the trees outside the window were whipping back and forth in the wind. I'd already liked the Beatles but this was my first time really getting into them. I was...not a brave child, despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that I'd started reading stuff like Stephen King and The Amityville Horror and the Exorcist and such at an early (too early) age.

I was totally engrossed in the LP, poring over the lyrics, studying the photos, the music loud. And then "A Day in the Life Came On." And as the orchestral part started building and building, getting more and more intense, I couldn't handle it, and had to run out downstairs, so freaked out that even 60 Minutes somehow seemed preferable.

Also the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath cover art both freaked me out and of course totally intrigued me.

No specific songs (I even really enjoyed Black Sabbath), but I photographed a Waterphone or a book I collaborated on in the 1990s. The author said it had been used in many films to induce "a scary vibe".

waterphone.jpg

250px-Tommy_Roe.png

'nuff said..

Hal Blaine or not ..

Last edited:
Careful with that axe Eugene - Pink Floyd. The first time I heard it as a kid I think I wet myself.

Last edited:
When I was a little kid trying to sleep upstairs in the 1970s I could hear the tv downstairs. When I would hear the NBC mystery movie theme, which was obviously not meant to be scary, it would kind of freak me out a bit and I had to calm down to finally either fall asleep or to get back to sleep.

Thought provoking question. I've tried to think of something but couldn't. At one time I spun my Zeppelin album backwards trying to hear my sweet Satan but didn't hear crap. Nothing scary there either and I was TRYING to be scared.

In 1966 when I was 14 years old I remember a song on the radio called "They're Coming to Take Me Away, ha-hahaha". I'm not sure that I knew at that age exactly what it was about but I do know it was band in Massachusetts as soon as it came out it was no longer on the radio. Now I'm able to access it and know what it's all about... take a listen...

Reactions: jda
remember it well

Back