What's a recent compliment you've received lately about your playing?

This is a compliment not only to me but to drummers in general. We played a show recently . (It incorporates 50,s 60’s music matched to video clips and photographs of iconic news events of that era) usually to audience ages of 60+. Anyhow, as I was packing up my kit 2 couples from the audience came up and one of the women said something like “ well played “. I replied in my usual modest way . “Thank you, it helps to be surrounded by some blokes who know how to play as well” . To which she replied “Ah, but it’s the drummer who keeps it altogether isn’t it”. Then she mentioned that her brother was a drummer and had played in a couple of iconic bands in the past in the city where I live. I figured then that it wasn’t just a compliment from someone just trying to be nice!

In my band, nobody ever gives a heartfelt compliment. Anything close is always followed by some sort of insult or criticism. It's all in good fun. From last night's practice:

Me: "Wow! You nailed the vocals on that song. The original artist couldn't have done it better. Of course, you suck at everything else..." :)

Sitting and talking with a woman at a jam once she said the current drummer playing is a pretty good drummer.
I lost all respect for anything she said about drummers at that moment. The guy is pretty bad; barely functional. Only recently can he get through the songs being played. Endings are likely a mess. He keeps a death grip on the sticks.

yep...."good" is definitely in the ear of the beholder....

yep...."good" is definitely in the ear of the beholder....

Yeah, she obviously has never really listened to drummers. She can ascertain vocals and guitarists.

Back