What's a recent compliment you've received lately about your playing?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
About a month or so ago, I played Tin Roof in Nashville. After I played, the guy who was organizing the showcase (who was also a drummer) said to me "Dude, you've got pocket for days!" It made me feel like a million bucks. I've thought about it every day since then.

Anyone else received a recent compliment you wouldn't mind sharing?

1713356273944.png

It's reassuring playing and then hearing more accomplished musicians compliment me for something. Not just the general ones, but when they mention a specific then you know they listened.

I had to sub out some gigs with a salsa band I play with. Whenever I sub out a gig out, I always try to recomend someone who I feel is better than me, with the hopes things go well while I’m away. I was able to get the guy who’s considered to be the best Latin player in the area. He teaches Latin percussion at a university, directs the university big band , won a big grant for composing . I was expecting the guys in my salsa band to love his playing and maybe even start using him instead of me, but they told me they were so happy I was back because the virtuoso drummer ‘s complex playing was a bit hard for them to follow . The band leader likes a traditional Latin , dry kind of sound, not a lot cymbals and snare back beats. Anyways it was nice to hear that my simple approach was appreciated.

the last comliment I got was at my country/rockabilly cover band's gig. We had a guest guitar player from one of the most well known blues groups in town, and he told me I had the best slow/ballad shuffle feel he has ever played with, and then asked if I was interested in playing with his group in the future. Our leader/guit player said that was a pretty rare thing for him to do

we have not been able to hook up since due to some scheduling and health issues, but he still wants me to play a show with his group

I have also been told that I have a great train beat....thanks marching band!!!

“I don’t care what others say about you. You’re alright in my book.”
Believe it or not, this is what I mostly hear.
I know it's meant in jest, but you have to understand after consistently hearing it (and nothing else with substance), you start to think they're not joking.

Couple this with my phone not really ringing to play (even from buddies who loved the product I gave them last time), I'm starting to think my time behind the kit has played out.
I'm 53 & am not getting any younger, so I don't see this getting better.

Sorry to be the downer, but this "compliment" struck a nerve. Reminding me of how the future looks for me.

Smiles and nods of approval from bandmates, and folks in the audience dancing their butts off. 💯

Believe it or not, this is what I mostly hear.
I know it's meant in jest, but you have to understand after consistently hearing it (and nothing else with substance), you start to think they're not joking.

Couple this with my phone not really ringing to play (even from buddies who loved the product I gave them last time), I'm starting to think my time behind the kit has played out.
I'm 53 & am not getting any younger, so I don't see this getting better.

Sorry to be the downer, but this "compliment" struck a nerve. Reminding me of how the future looks for me.
Sorry to hear that. I've been aware of the situations you've posted about in the past, and it seems like a shame. You have a good attitude, you always seem willing to help others on here, and you are likely a solid player.

But, if you feel like you're in a bit of a slump now, why not try something different? Instead of filling in or waiting for a group to ask you to join them, have you thought about starting your own project?

These compliments fuel our confidence, always nice from another player.
We sign up at the jam I go to, and the guy in charge forms the bands. I get a lot of players saying, "Hope I can get up with you sometime, " I appreciate that.

Sorry to hear that. I've been aware of the situations you've posted about in the past, and it seems like a shame. You have a good attitude, you always seem willing to help others on here, and you are likely a solid player.

But, if you feel like you're in a bit of a slump now, why not try something different? Instead of filling in or waiting for a group to ask you to join them, have you thought about starting your own project?
Thanks. I try to look at the up side of things & often that doesn't end well. But I'll keep on keeping on. ❤️

As for my own project, I feel I can play a lot of different genres but most times those musicians wanting to play, want someone younger and faster.
I'm a fan of the blues scene & figured that would be easy picking to start something. Nope...most players are already attached to another project.🫤

So I'll keep my skills sharp for when lightning strikes. I love to play & will never stop voluntarily.

Thanks. I try to look at the up side of things & often that doesn't end well. But I'll keep on keeping on. ❤️

As for my own project, I feel I can play a lot of different genres but most times those musicians wanting to play, want someone younger and faster.
I'm a fan of the blues scene & figured that would be easy picking to start something. Nope...most players are already attached to another project.🫤

So I'll keep my skills sharp for when lightning strikes. I love to play & will never stop voluntarily.
Right on, man.

Remember, never stop never stopping.

I often hear that I sound like programmed drum parts, and one fellow musician in town calls me “the human metronome”. Both supreme compliments in my little musical world, and more likely a product of what I don’t play vs what I do play.

I should also mention that I don’t get called for a lot of work in town precisely because I sound like programmed drum parts and try to stay as metronomically correct as possible. That’s cool with me - there are plenty of players in town who play way more organically than I do. We’re lucky to live in a place with a thriving music scene, so there really is room for everyone here.

I was giving someone a ride in my vehicle and was listening through some of the current mixes on the album we are working on and they recognized the artist name on the screen and made the connection......back handed compliment of "Wow, can't believe that is you, it sounds awesome"........lol

After we stopped laughing I think I just responded "Dick."

Back