Whatcha Reading Right Now?

Just signed up for Audible and have been listening to Moby Dick for about an hour each night. I used to read from my Kindle every night, but lately I've been listening to literature while simultaneously sorting drum parts. I really like it so far.

Currently I'm reading Al Jourgensen's autobiography/biography (partially written by himself and partially written by someone else). It's a wild read and really fun. Makes "The Dirt" look like a child's book.

On page 39 of this remarkable book, haven’t read it since 1982 when I was in tenth grade.
The more things change the more they stay the same.
Great book. Made an impression on me around that age too. You might also check out the Michael Radford film adaptation that was made in 1984. It nails the mood of the novel with a visual bleakness that is spot on. Also worth checking out the movie Brazil released in 1985 if you haven't already. It's sort of a darkly comedic reworking of 1984 and is flat out brilliant.

Great book. Made an impression on me around that age too. You might also check out the Michael Radford film adaptation that was made in 1984. It nails the mood of the novel with a visual bleakness that is spot on. Also worth checking out the movie Brazil released in 1985 if you haven't already. It's sort of a darkly comedic reworking of 1984 and is flat out brilliant.
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve seen the John Hurt / Richard Burton movie which seemed relatively true to the story but on a budget. Still a decent look into dystopian society.
What is much more telling is that there has not been another remake of the story by any major company in the last 40 years, while there are dozens of superhero movies now…and there’s a game on tomorrow!!

Circus and peanuts.

I'd absolutely love to subscribe to audible.

But it's just so damn expensive!
Yeah, it's a luxury. Cheaper than Netflix though. I signed up for a one month free trial. Since I usually read for about an hour each night, I figure it will take almost that long to get through Moby Dick. So far though, I'm thinking I'll keep Audible going after my free month is up. It's great to be able to work with my hands while simultaneously "reading".

I read Fountainhead for the first time in grade nine @'67 . Found a copy in the Salvation Army the other day and have begun reading it again for the eighth (?) time .

Sweet Judy Blue Eyes - Judy Collins autobio.

A Small Town in Germany - John Le Carre

Last edited:
I finished two recently

Corruptable by Brian Klass - It looks into how power corrupts people

and

Player of Games by Iain Banks. - Fantastic sci fi

Both were brilliant.

I was recently gifted an “official” copy of The Noble Qur’an by an Imam. I read the one on the right already but will be interesting.
I like how the book is right bound because the text reads right to left. I bet that makes the English page turning a bit strange at first.

The Northwoods Reader by Cully Gage (Charles Van Riper). Musings of a childhood in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (UP - pronounced Yoo-Pee) in the early 1900's. The first book was such a hit, that Van Riper penned 6 more books at the behest of his readers - though much to his consternation. A glimpse into the folks, flora and fauna in the wilds of the "UP."

I was doing some spring cleaning and found the set of "Readers" that my mother collected years ago. I read them and passed them to my middle son who has a "book problem." A must read for "Yoopers" (inhabitants of the UP), "Trolls" (inhabitants of Michigan's lower peninsula - we live below the Mackinac Bridge) and those who missed and pine for days-gone-by in the Northwoods. (pun intended)

1679571276994.png

The Northwoods Reader by Cully Gage (Charles Van Riper). Musings of a childhood in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (UP - pronounced Yoo-Pee) in the early 1900's. The first book was such a hit, that Van Riper penned 6 more books at the behest of his readers - though much to his consternation. A glimpse into the folks, flora and fauna in the wilds of the "UP."

I was doing some spring cleaning and found the set of "Readers" that my mother collected years ago. I read them and passed them to my middle son who has a "book problem." A must read for "Yoopers" (inhabitants of the UP), "Trolls" (inhabitants of Michigan's lower peninsula - we live below the Mackinac Bridge) and those who missed and pine for days-gone-by in the Northwoods. (pun intended)

View attachment 131998
In 1987 I camped for two weeks on the shores of Lake Superior. It was after Labor Day so the night temperatures were low and the black flies were virtually gone. It was such a great experience! I crossed paths with only one other person, a park ranger. I had been sleeping in the warm sand during the late afternoons and he warned me, "Watch out for black bears." And—poof—no more toasty naps in the sand.

Back