memorable lyrical cadence on top of the groove
simple melody supporting the lyrical cadence

off the top of my head, personal:

groove
solid playing and execution of the instruments/vocals
different textures... harmonic, melodic, rhythmic
good phrasing/transitions from part to part
and it has to make me go "hell yeah" after the first time I hear it

I am not a lyrics guy, so I generally don't pay attention to the actual words....

Even the biggest names only attract a fraction of the population so it’s not like there is a secret formula to make everyone love your music. It’s all a giant crapshoot. So don’t worry about it and just try to make whatever you do sound good.

I think a lot of things do. Timing for one thing. Certain novelty songs were huge hits because of timing. Also, they don't call it a "hook" for nothing and a song with a good one can break through. And actually I feel simpler songs sell better than complicated ones for the most part. But perseverance is probably number one. Hang in there.👍
Sometimes the dumbest thing can become a huge hook (that and a lucky break), for example "Who let the dogs out? Who, Who Who Who Who" When somebody decided to play that at a major league game and all the people in the audience reacted positively to it, then it became the go to anthem for those games. Musically there is really nothing to it. or we can go back to that example when Lars Ulrich tells Kirk Hammet to repeat the part 3 times and then change to the next part instead of what he was originally playing (which sounded... incomplete).

Even the biggest names only attract a fraction of the population so it’s not like there is a secret formula to make everyone love your music. It’s all a giant crapshoot. So don’t worry about it and just try to make whatever you do sound good.

proof of this statement....half of the songs mentioned as "hits" in this thread, I have never even heard....

Don't worry about making it good, just figure out something to play.

going off of this

if YOU enjoy/look forward to playing it again and again, then it is good!!!

Sure, and just purely for figuring out how to do it-- to play something good, first you have to play something.
Well you have a point there, Todd, but I always believe in striving to do good on some level, meaning put your heart into it and don’t half ass it. Doesn’t mean playing great, doesn’t mean write the very best songs ever and don’t accept anything less. Just strive to make music that you would listen to if you didn’t write it.

Well you have a point there, Todd, but I always believe in striving to do good on some level, meaning put your heart into it and don’t half ass it. Doesn’t mean playing great, doesn’t mean write the very best songs ever and don’t accept anything less. Just strive to make music that you would listen to if you didn’t write it.

Everyone does. You just can't start something by saying "how do I make this thing really GOOD", when you haven't written a note. Like, PLAY SOMETHING, then figure out how to play something better.

Or rather something you like better. Or more hit like. Whatever anybody is motivated by.

Everyone does. You just can't start something by saying "how do I make this thing really GOOD", when you haven't written a note. Like, PLAY SOMETHING, then figure out how to play something better.

Or rather something you like better. Or more hit like. Whatever anybody is motivated by.
There are people who have a repertoire of creative licks, grooves, beats and what not they keep working on. I do this all of the time, what does it sound like when I play this rhythm on that instrument etc. Other people don't do that so much.

this hasn't been covered yet in this thread, but it als osort of depends on which "good" you are going for

I think there are definitely formulas for writing a song that will make money...which is different than a song that is well structured, phrased and musically sound

so which "good" are you going for @SkullDrummer

because that does make a difference, at least to me. In my world, almost all of the good songs, are not, and never will be popular. Popularity does not mske a song good for me personally. In fact, popular songs are usually songs I know to steer clear of....

Shoot, if Lonnie Donegan can make it to #3 in the UK and #5 in the US... Here's your formula!

Our small band wants to make some original music. i have experience with music making, but only in edm music. what makes a song become popular? is it catchyness? or is there a trick to it?
Million dollar question. This is the most streamed song of all time. Found out about it from Rick Beato.
This isn't necessarily my style of music but there's nothing wrong with it either.
Why is it such a a big hit? The first thing I noticed besides the tempo was, it makes me feel good.

Back