What is jazz drumming?

Depending of the type of jazz it's often an intellectual experience, not easily accessible to everyone. I always liked jazz because it's different, most people are not interested , it's complicated, it's a challenge.

Maybe it's music for musicians.

I would say that fits the "prog" version all styles though....

and I feel, no matter what, jazz drumming is somehow rooted in the "spang-a-lang" split triplet subdivision....whether it is blatantly obvious, or almost completely hidden

Fairies Wear Boots was likely Swing.
"Lazy" Deep Purple had a Gene Krupa-ish swing hihat beginning..

and The Wizard

- what is it about modern jazz drumming that sets it apart?

Modern jazz drumming of the 40s 50s had of syncopated bass drum and snare to imply the groove whilst dancing around it and the soloists. Current jazz drumming draws influence from other musical forms (R&B, hiphop, DnB etc) so is often alot straighter . I guess its always had a strong 1 foot in the past, an eye to the future ethos

- Is it the avoidance of playing the backbeat on 2 and 4 ... and just dancing around it with offbeat shots on the snare or kick?

Sounds about right

- Why? If I got thrown on stage to sit in I would tend to straighten things out and punch out the groove more.. but most jazz drummers I find go out of their way to avoid that..

Ahh the rebirth of funk

When I watch a Jazz drummer, I can't predict what's gonna happen next and can't figure out how they do what they do. It's like watching someone play clarinet. :)

Somebody once said that rock drummers focus on the snare and bass drum. For Jazz drummers, everything is rooted around the ride cymbal and hi hat pedal. There's a little bit of truth in that. When I try to sound "jazzy" or "swingy" this is what I do.

Check out the swing on this song:

I never heard that song before. It's one of those forgotten B-side songs that really should be on every radio station's play list. Thanks for posting.

And you're right. The drumming is spectacular. It's a strange marriage of a heavy rock groove with swing.

I really gotta get out more! :)

Exploration of the world between whole notes and keeping it tied together with hands hands hands . Saying the same thing in different ways .

Check out the swing on this song:

I guess I'm ignorant as to what swing is. Which part is swing? Early in the song he was using the toms kind of melodic.

I have always loved those songs. I can kind of see a jazz element in the song lazy.

Not sure why we're talking about Sabbath in a jazz drumming thread. Yes, Bill Ward did have swing to his playing (as did many of his rock contemporaries) but I'd rather just post straight up jazz examples in a thread about what is jazz drumming.

i think people are tryign to allude to the fact that jazz can be in any situation....sort of by way of the "improv" or free nature of the definition of jazz

it isn't always spang-a-lang with 2 and 4 on the hi hat

Reactions: A J
Not sure why we're talking about Sabbath in a jazz drumming thread. Yes, Bill Ward did have swing to his playing (as did many of his rock contemporaries) but I'd rather just post straight up jazz examples in a thread about what is jazz drumming.
Have an open mind grasshopper...........

The Jazz family tree are like the Mississippi River Basin, whether you start on the Allegheny in NY or on the Missouri River in KC you always end up in New Orleans on the Mississippi.

Last edited:
No, no wait. This Black Sabbath song is a blues song. Listen to the blues shuffle in the middle of the song. No, no wait it's a heavy metal song, listen to the end. No, no wait it's a rock song, listen to the beginning. No, no wait it's a progressive song listen to the transitions. No, no wait it's a classical song for ballet, listen to the whole song.

Back