What Company Makes Your Favorite Hardware?

I have to agree. I have a couple of their HD boom stands and a super solid HD hi-hat stand. Got them with a used Pro M kit years ago and they’re still a mainstay in my setups.

I think Mapex are a bit of an underdog regarding hardware.

Some of their stuff can be a bit bulky and over engineered for their purpose.

But the stands that came with my Mapex Orion kit is just heavenly.

When I started I was told to look at Pearl or Yamaha hardware for durability. I've had good luck with the Pearl 930 series. Pedals are 930 and Pearl eliminator. Now gigging out is a different situation, so following with interest and researching for lighter weight and sturdy features for future portability.

Last edited:
I think Mapex are a bit of an underdog regarding hardware.

Some of their stuff can be a bit bulky and over engineered for their purpose.

But the stands that came with my Mapex Orion kit is just heavenly.

That Mapex Armory pedal is an absolute sleeper! What a smooth pedal.

When I migrated from Sonor to Tama in the mid-2000s, I stopped dating other brands. I use their RoadPro double-braced stands. I've loaded the combo stand to the max with a tom, two cymbals, and an x-hat without balance problems, slippage or excessive quiver. They're very stable on uneven surfaces, too. ⬇️

View attachment 141844

I did have a Gibraltar throne (screw-type) that was very nice, too. When I moved to a Tama Hydraulic, I gave it to a fellow drummer who had one of those torture thrones (He couldn't believe the difference between his old throne and the cush of a wide-ass Gibraltar throne).
Setting up on a patch of lawn. Been there. I feel your pain....😢

Rogers Swivo , Premier Lok Fast seem to last forever , made from high quality steel .

Since those vintage series are getting pretty scarce, I rely on Made in Japan Yamaha , Pearl . I don't trust Chinese metalurgy .

Last edited:
i dont have one particular favourite. ive got hardware from mapex, yamaha, premier, ludwig, pearl, tama, sonor & gibraltar :)

DW hardware is the best I’ve used.
3000 stands
9000/5000 pedals
9120 throne

So PPG........ could you please give me a fairly objective review on the throne?

I'd really appreciate it if you could my friend.

I'd really like to step up to some 9000 series stuff of theirs......the 5000 saddle throne is just fantastic.

I don't see many of them over my way.

I really like the Crosstown stuff from Yamaha. Lightweight and sturdy.

View attachment 141846
I think this is the hardware that our Man Around Town, Bo (lol) is using too? I don't care for the way it looks. It looks way odd sorta, I dunno, steam punk-ish? Out of place? Thick and clunky looking? My eye is drawn to the stands right away and not the drum kit. It's those bases. Which is unusual. That's all I can see are the stands. Weird, huh?

I think this is the hardware that our Man Around Town, Bo (lol) is using too? I don't care for the way it looks. It looks way odd sorta, I dunno, steam punk-ish? Out of place? Thick and clunky looking? My eye is drawn to the stands right away and not the drum kit. It's those bases. Which is unusual. That's all I can see are the stands. Weird, huh?
It might look kind of clunky and thick, but it’s still very light. Probably not the sexiest hardware out there, but that really doesn’t mean anything to me.

Pretty sure Bo uses the same stuff. Maybe it just blends in with his silver kit a bit better. All that matters to me is that my cymbals don’t fall over.

Everyone finds their own journey.

Like @drumnut87 said, I look for features and not necessarily brand. I used Yamaha stands for years and years, but when I finally replaced them, I bought Ludwig Standard boom stands. Gearless tilters, pinch-style connections instead of bolt-into-tube, and heavy-duty without being too heavy. My other hardware is a mixture of Yamaha, Pearl, Tama, DW, Gibraltar, and PDP.

Sonor 600 series Hardware for Studio and rehearsal.
Yamaha Crosstown stands with Sonor tom holder, multi clamp, perfect balance pedal and 6000 round throne for gigs.

I'm very tempted to get the Crosstown hardware set for gigging despite already having the DW UL set.
I just did this. I still prefer the DW gearless tilter, but they topple in the wind and it’s always windy round here. Also, I can hang a 10” tom from the Crosstown. It’s not as solid as a heavier duty stand, but it’s acceptable and I don’t use a 10” often. The Crosstown snare stand wins for me vs the DW due to stability. The DW can sometimes sink if I’m leaning into a cross stick.

First: Gibraltar
Second: Tama
Third: Yamaha
Fourth: Mapex

All of these are reflected by what I own.

Peace and goodwill.

Back