What are you listening to right now?

Came home from rehearsal tonight and was feeling good about how we sounded. So I decided I needed to watch/listen to something groovin’ while I ate a late dinner.

These four tunes from Live At Daryl’s House had me up and dancing around the mancave.

I’m not necessarily a CeeLo fan but I really like the treatment they gave his tunes. Green Onions got me going and I suggested it as a tune for my every two or three week blues jam. But while my butt was planted for the first three, I was up and bouncing around to Yellow Moon.

I know everyone here is super impressed with complex polyrhythms and blazing speed but Brian Dunne is so slick with his deceptively simple beats. He makes everything groove. And playing simple while grooving your ass off is not as easy as it seems. I must have listened to Yellow Moon 4 or 5 times tonight and even listened to a live Neville Brother’s version as well. Say what you will but I really dig this stuff. So, this is what I’ve been listening to tonight. Hell yeah!

Love how this oldie grooves and drives yet doesn't sound stiff and vertical. Check out those single stroke snare fills throughout the song.

TCM, Man With a Horn (movie), Doris Day led me

we used to do that song in the Tune Tailors always enjoyed it

Where the above says there's an Art Blakey version. hmm.

And- found it- here's ALL the Tracks an Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers live album
Featuring Chuck Mangione and Keith Jarrett
recorded Live 1966

or let all 6 tracks Play Continuous from here

Never ever knew of this album did read
Keith Jarrett and Mangione were in the Jazz Messengers

So here it was LIVE in 66 in California
Extended Mallet Solo on drums Solo in second tune; pure Art
LIVE did I mention? LIVE

they play - THE THEME- from the bebop days just Like Spider used to.

Ciao

Last edited:
Back