Vox Telstar Drum Kit Demo

IBitePrettyHard

The bass drum doesn't sound bad but it doesn't sound great either. But I think the point of this kit is the novelty and stage presence it brings to a show. That alone may make it worth it for some people who are willing to sacrifice a little tone quality and the convenience of being able to buy new bass heads at the local shop.

@Bo Eder

I just can't bring myself to want to learn to tune an egg. I don't own a TuneBot, nor have I ever used one. I don't know if TuneBot would do it anyhow. EggBot sure won't.

Almost as silly as an egg shaped drum.

The bass drum doesn't sound bad but it doesn't sound great either. But I think the point of this kit is the novelty and stage presence it brings to a show. That alone may make it worth it for some people who are willing to sacrifice a little tone quality and the convenience of being able to buy new bass heads at the local shop.

@Bo Eder
That’s ok. I can mic up a cardboard box and get a decent bass drum sound. Heads are available through ProDrum here in Hollywood so it’s just a matter of getting used to it’s sound and the goofy shape. Goofy shape is winning ?

Love that drummer. He has a deep pocket. Did you pick up on all the beats he played from the period? He nailed them so good that I could name most of the songs they were from.

GeeDeeEmm

I remember these from the 60s and remember seeing them in music store windows, They had another set that had smaller diameter resoo heads too.

Not sure who came first. Vox or Trixon. Maybe Trixon made them for Vox.

Found this:

Vox’s foray into drum branding begins with Karl-Heinz Weimer and Trixon Drums of Germany. Weimer’s Trixon drum kits enjoyed a heyday among European jazz drummers of the 1950s and ’60s. Their surrealist designs and space-saving hardware eventually caught the eye of Joe Benaron of the Thomas Organ Company — Vox’s US distributor. The two companies shared a distributor in Ireland’s Lindner-Rippen piano company. This led to a cooperative arrangement whereby Weimer’s Trixon drums could be released to the United States under the Vox name. And just like that, a new Vox legacy was born.

I have a feeling this current fad will fall away faster than its first iteration back in the day. Not likely to be around on the market all that long. Just one man's opinion.
you could be right, but they’re not having good luck when you think about it. Like everybody else due to the shutdown. They could be Tama’s 11” toms but the shape of that bass drum is world-known. I’d love to get just the bass drum.

you could be right, but they’re not having good luck when you think about it. Like everybody else due to the shutdown. They could be Tama’s 11” toms but the shape of that bass drum is world-known. I’d love to get just the bass drum.

I have one of those said 11" toms on my Granstar II kit. I love it, especially when I call a shop about heads.

Re: the Vox, I hope they find a market and customer base to remain sustainable. I wouldn't mind having a kit for novelty reasons alone and would use it on select festival gigs (once those start happening again). For now though, my drum gear budget has become part of the house project and remodeling budget.

If it had the dual chamber bass drum and I could hook up two pedals for Hi and Low sounds like the original ones I would be all over it. This single chamber is purely looks at the cost of practicality.

If it had the dual chamber bass drum and I could hook up two pedals for Hi and Low sounds like the original ones I would be all over it. This single chamber is purely looks at the cost of practicality.
I’m just wanting the look. With a ported head it’s gonna sound normal. But I know the audience listens with their eyes so they’re gonna think it was awesome ?

I’m just wanting the look. With a ported head it’s gonna sound normal. But I know the audience listens with their eyes so they’re gonna think it was awesome ?

Totally, well said. At the end of the day it's purpose is to go 'thump' and with a mic and eq anything can sound good... From a suitcase to a melted Dali bass drum.

There’s just no way I would take one of those to a gig. What if someone asked my why the bass drum is weird? “So it used to have two chambers back in the 60s, but now it’s just for looks.”

I wanna see a double kick version of these drums, one bass backwards so the whole thing looks like its melting in the middle.

Back