Very frustrated and increasingly discouraged

DJH

First post. I've perused the site and forums for years, but hadn't registered until now.

Some background first; I had always wanted to play the drums, but didn't have the opportunity until I was in the ARMY and bought my first kit back in the mid-late 80s when I was 20 or so. We didn't have the internet back then and I couldn't afford a teacher so I am entirely self taught and I never held the sticks properly back then, but I was naturally very fast so even though it was mostly arm with some wrist movements, I could still play pretty damn quick.

I didn't play for 25 years while we raised kids and worked far too much, though they occasionally got pulled out for the kids to bang on. My youngest graduated in 2018 and about 6 months before she did I found I had a lot more time for my own shenanigans and pulled them back out (same kit, well - mostly) with those 25 year old heads. Surprisingly, they didn't sound horrible after some tuning and even more surprising I was able to play half decent, but more importantly, I had the internet and realized my stick technique was in need of correction and I had never really worked on rudiments, independence, etc.

The last 5ish years I have played 2-3 times a week on average (that was probably only possible because I worked from home), 1.5-2 hours usually. The first 30 or so minutes is focused on left hand development, Stick Control exercises, foot/hi hat/BD exercises and any specific groove I'm trying to learn. I stretch before I start and the first 10 minutes is just warm up, the first 3 is primarily on the snare with my feet going between the bass pedals and hats, then work my way around the kit doing rudiments, fills and grooves. then I spend 45 minutes to an hour working on songs and finally finish up with 3-4 minutes working on the 1/2 time shuffle (specifically with Fool in the rain in mind, but I'd like to play Rosanna at some point). On top of that, nearly everyday I spend 20-30 minutes on the pad, again left development, rudiments and Stick Control type exercises.

Now to the frustration.
It has taken for-dadgummed-ever for my left to come along and the last 7-8 months or so I cannot play a song straight through without a mistake of some kind, it is rarely the same mistake so there's really no specific thing to work on beyond hand development and independence. I've been playing these songs quite a while (Zepplin, Billy Squire, Def Leppard, etc - every now and then I play 46 and 2 or Tom Sawyer to see how much closer I am to keeping up) and I have played them through without error (except 46 and 2 and Tom Sawyer ;)), though it didn't "flow" and it was a bit wooden and tight.

At this point I look forward to playing when I get time, but within 30 minutes I'm angry and frustrated and I suspect I haven't played more than an hour in 2-3 months and I've gone 1-2 weeks without playing at all (still do exercises on the pad though) because I'm so frustrated and liable to start smashing stuff - best to throw the sticks and walk out of the room, and I've actually caught myself making excuses to my wife for why I'm not playing when I have the opportunity too (she's well aware of my frustration).
I am generally in good shape, I workout 4-5 times a week, not hardcore, mostly core and keeping myself fit, but both hands still cramp all the time, especially the left.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I thought it was just something I was going through due to the stress and workload from work but I dont think it's that at all now. This is one of the few things I get to do that I actually love to do, but I haven't loved it in months regardless of how badly I want to play.

If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it, though I got laid off recently so lessons isn't an option right now.

1st take it easy. 2nd, I won't try so much stuff. I would pick 1 or 2 things to focus on and really get better at them in musical context. Leave stick control, technique, independence and all the generic, never ending stuff and do something that's directly applicable to music.

Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone makes mistakes. Even Frank Zappa's band made mistakes live after rehearsing for 3 months and touring for 6 or 7 more. It's inevitable, and not a bad thing at all.

Oh, and don't stretch before playing, stretching cold muscles is not good

both hands still cramp all the time
This tells me there's tension in your body somewhere. It could be that you're simply clenching too hard because the sticks are too small or slide out of your hands too easily*. Or it could be that they are tense 'cuz you are tense/anxious about playing to a better level.

It's too bad you can't go back in time and get a lesson from Freddie Gruber (Check out the video on this page). It seemed he was a guru that guys like Neil Peart would go to for help and improvement. There's some video out there where Freddie hears a guy play and can tell he's tense within a few bars of playing, simply by hearing the guy. As the fellow relaxed, his notes became more fluid and cohesive. It was kinda weird to see/hear 'cuz nothing changed except the player focused on relaxing his physical posture/grip/attitude.

*Years ago, I clenched my sticks which caused the pad of my thumb to get extremely sore. At the advice from another drummer ("You have big hands, try a larger diameter stick or stick wrap on those 7A sticks you're using"), I started using grip tape and the pain vanished 'cuz I wasn't gripping the stick. I then tried Vic Firth 5A sticks with "Vic Grip" (they're dipped in a rubber compound) and used them for years. When ProMark came out with their Active Grip I tried those and am very happy with them, especially when it's 90º and 90% humidity 'cuz they don't slip at all and don't stain my hands.

This tells me there's tension in your body somewhere. It could be that you're simply clenching too hard because the sticks are too small or slide out of your hands too easily*. Or it could be that they are tense 'cuz you are tense/anxious about playing to a better level.

It's too bad you can't go back in time and get a lesson from Freddie Gruber (Check out the video on this page). It seemed he was a guru that guys like Neil Peart would go to for help and improvement. There's some video out there where Freddie hears a guy play and can tell he's tense within a few bars of playing, simply by hearing the guy. As the fellow relaxed, his notes became more fluid and cohesive. It was kinda weird to see/hear 'cuz nothing changed except the player focused on relaxing his physical posture/grip/attitude.

*Years ago, I clenched my sticks which caused the pad of my thumb to get extremely sore. At the advice from another drummer ("You have big hands, try a larger diameter stick or stick wrap on those 7A sticks you're using"), I started using grip tape and the pain vanished 'cuz I wasn't gripping the stick. I then tried Vic Firth 5A sticks with "Vic Grip" (they're dipped in a rubber compound) and used them for years. When ProMark came out with their Active Grip I tried those and am very happy with them, especially when it's 90º and 90% humidity 'cuz they don't slip at all and don't stain my hands.
I've noticed that cold weather gives fingertips a hard smooth 'polish' which makes grip a problem.

I have been playing drums for 40+ years, and my feet are still my main issue honestly....mainly double bass speed

but when I was in my late 20's, I was really trying to work on breaking out the left side of my body after seeing Carter play with Dave Mathews. what I started to do was to play a simple beat "right handed" (RF on bass etc...), then while playing a beat, I would switch to "left handed" (LF on bass pedal; LH on subdivision, RH on back beat) on the fly. It was very clunky at first, but after a few weeks, I started to develop that whole side of my body better

after a while, I would then play along to music that I was familiar with, but do it "left handed". Started with stuff like old Def Leppard, AC/DC etc...simple, slow beats. Then I graduated myself to the next level tougher, and worked on that. After about a year, I was - for the most part - able to play along to any song either handed

also, DO NOT stop working on Stone Stick control, rudiments etc. It is a HUGE MYTH in the drum set world that those are "not musical"...in fact, I use the first page of Stone patterns to work evenness between my feet, running patterns 1-13 with my feet as well as my hands. ANY movement and analyzation of the way your limbs interact with each other is beneficial!!

I also play the rudiments with my feet, which has really helped with that lower level coordination.

I think you're doing well to walk away when the frustration rears its ugly head. It's hard to learn anything if you're angry.

I learned a lot by listening and mostly divorcing myself from the drumset. It gave me a chance to internalize what needed to happen from behind the kit. The mechanics of the drumset and the drummer didn't seem to be the stumbling block. When my brain was ready, the carcass became a willing accomplice.

My advice? Relax. Take it easy. Enjoy learning. Nobody's forcing learning objectives aside from the guy in the mirror.

Maybe. If possible. Post some videos of your playing here on DW. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who can offer advice.

Also, and maybe more importantly, thanks for your service. It didn't go unnoticed. Some folks at home will bumble along oblivious to the protectors of their freedom. That's the way it should be. You and I know differently.

SSG Smoke
USA, Ret

I’m a professional musician who has played on fairly big gigs on bass and guitar backing oldies acts, among the other million types of music I’ve done. I still clam stuff all the time. I respect the desire to get better, but that’s way too much pressure to put yourself under. You did your high pressure stuff already. Drums are supposed to be fun.

Hope you get it worked out, and respect for your and Smoke’s contributions to our wellbeing as a nation.

To what end are you playing? From your description you are practicing a lot more than me and are very organized about it. Do you seek "good enough" or something more: excellence? Perfection? I think if I practiced a lot on formal exercises I would gradually get very focused on the tiny little nuances that almost no one else would notice (e.g., you can always polish a shoe a little more, but is it necessary?). As Jimmy said, I also clam a few times in every gig and the only other person that ever notices is my bassist, and he notices like 10% of them. I think in-person lessons is a good idea to check your form and muscle use, and also get another perspective on your skill level.

I have had a terrible time over the last few years with cramping and sore hands. In my case it was as simple as needing to move to a larger diameter stick.

Part of your issue might be a vicious cycle of frustration - i.e., you start to feel tense and that makes you more tense. This is where I would recommend some "drumming meditation". Play a money beat at a very moderate tempo. Nothing difficult. Nothing fast. Just boom-chick, boom-chick. Relax. Disassociate. Groove in your head. Become aware of what's happening in your body. Examine the things you feel and experience. If you feel pain, stop. Otherwise, just play.

Do this over and over, gradually increasing the tempo., varying the dynamics. Bob's your uncle. You're retraining your muscles to approach drumming as a relaxed exercise. This is how I learned to play a 4m30 ska tune at ~180 bpm without tiring out.

I admire your regimen and discipline but obviously this path is creating much frustration.
I suggest (for awhile at least) you not take the instrument so seriously. If you want drums be a source of fun and enjoyment, take the 'work' and seriousness out of it for now and get back to having some fun making music.
Go easy on yourself. Put on some music, play along, enjoy the music and not worry how accurate every grace note and ride bell pattern you play is.

Getting laid off is really tough. The routines a I build around work can become upsetting when I have work trouble. Also a lot of my drumming mistakes happen when my mind drifts to worries. I havent found a "cure" to this but recognising whats going on under the surface makes it easier

On a lighter note - theres a podcast called Drumming and the nervous system that amused me:
I liked the F.A.R.T concept

Frustration is my biggest issue also. I'm nowhere near where I want to be but I find the solution is always to take a breath, relax, slow down, enjoy the process (the single most important thing for me) and accept it's gonna take a lot longer than I would like it to take.

If I sit down to practice expecting results or to have one of those days where everything falls into place it's always an absolute nightmare. If I sit down, relax and just work on what I'm working on at a comfortable pace it's easier to get in the zone, it's more fun and I find I consistently improve.

20 minutes of practicing something very slowly produces better results more quickly than 2 hours of trying to force it.

It's counter-intuitive and it's hard to fight the urge to push yourself but just keep going through the motions in a relaxed manner. You'll get where you want to go quicker and you'll have a better time doing it.

Welcome to drumming- it’s a roller coaster of a ride. So just remember you will have highs and lows (without a low you can’t have a high) and the ride takes time. Then oddly enough you can’t help but get on the ride again and again. If I had a dollar for every time I felt like selling all my drum stuff because of my suck factor I’d have a few hundred dollars by now- maybe thousands. We all get frustrated with it just some learn to focus that on getting better rather than bitter and it all becomes a useless defeating emotion. If I get too frustrated I give it a break - it doesn’t take long I’ll return with a renewed view
.Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 10.58.41 AM.png

Last edited:
Frustration is my biggest issue also. I'm nowhere near where I want to be but I find the solution is always to take a breath, relax, slow down, enjoy the process (the single most important thing for me) and accept it's gonna take a lot longer than I would like it to take.

If I sit down to practice expecting results or to have one of those days where everything falls into place it's always an absolute nightmare. If I sit down, relax and just work on what I'm working on at a comfortable pace it's easier to get in the zone, it's more fun and I find I consistently improve.

20 minutes of practicing something very slowly produces better results more quickly than 2 hours of trying to force it.

It's counter-intuitive and it's hard to fight the urge to push yourself but just keep going through the motions in a relaxed manner. You'll get where you want to go quicker and you'll have a better time doing it.

this made me think: I never expect results within one practice session...or even several. This might help the OP rethink the process? Results are not an immediately permanent thing. It takes time and evolution to really experience results. Granted, things improve within practice sessions, but true results - at least for me - always come out in the heat of battle.

I notice results while performing when my brain says "ok, lets try this", and my hands go "got it. No problem". I feel like that is where the payoff is.

I alos feel like I am in the minority in that I have never had a bad practice session because just having sticks in my hands is my supreme Zen. If all I do for a half hour is paradiddles at 110bpm, I am happy, and feel like I got stuff done.

this made me think: I never expect results within one practice session...or even several. This might help the OP rethink the process? Results are not an immediately permanent thing. It takes time and evolution to really experience results. Granted, things improve within practice sessions, but true results - at least for me - always come out in the heat of battle.

I notice results while performing when my brain says "ok, lets try this", and my hands go "got it. No problem". I feel like that is where the payoff is.

I alos feel like I am in the minority in that I have never had a bad practice session because just having sticks in my hands is my supreme Zen. If all I do for a half hour is paradiddles at 110bpm, I am happy, and feel like I got stuff done.

Sounds like you naturally have the right mind set and attitude towards practice.

I started playing late so I know I have a lot of work to do in a limited time frame which led to me really trying to force things. I'd start to see results and then start chasing them by either rushing up the bpm range or working on something that was well above my ability level and expecting it to take a few months to learn when in reality it was going to take a year or more.

It's taken many ups and downs for me to finally get into the habit of lowering my expectations and just doing the work in a relaxed and positive manner. I still have plenty of days where I think I suck and some days where I get frustrated but over time I find myself having less and less of both.

I'm nowhere near as good as a lot of guys on here, or anywhere near where I want to be but I feel like I have finally gotten over the frustration hurdle. It was a different form of progress than I had been chasing but it was progress all the same.

The most inspiring thing I read from responses is the I won't get things done right away but I'll do things daily etc and progress will come. All those type of replies make me feel that I'm not alone and I'll take you posters with me to practice. To me that is hugely inspiring.

Sounds like you naturally have the right mind set and attitude towards practice.

I started playing late so I know I have a lot of work to do in a limited time frame which led to me really trying to force things. I'd start to see results and then start chasing them by either rushing up the bpm range or working on something that was well above my ability level and expecting it to take a few months to learn when in reality it was going to take a year or more.

It's taken many ups and downs for me to finally get into the habit of lowering my expectations and just doing the work in a relaxed and positive manner. I still have plenty of days where I think I suck and some days where I get frustrated but over time I find myself having less and less of both.

well, don't think of it as lowering your expectations...you are just putting a different timeline on them.

I'm nowhere near as good as a lot of guys on here, or anywhere near where I want to be but I feel like I have finally gotten over the frustration hurdle. It was a different form of progress than I had been chasing but it was progress all the same.

that is good re the hurdle, and that your standard is a bit higher....I learned from all fo the greats that I have studied with that progress/learning is a never ending thing. Once I thought of it that way, it actually made me more excited to work on stuff. As I have mentioned in other threads here, I would be terrified if there was an end of stuff to work on in drumming

Yeah, that's probably a better way to look at it. The only expectation I put on myself now is to practice consistently and deliberately.

And I fought it in my rush to get good (whatever that means) at first but it is 100% a never ending journey. That change in mind set has changed the whole drumming experience for me.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

The tension/stress thing definitely makes sense, I also think a bit of boredom because I've tended to keep playing the same songs expecting to get it right sooner or later, especially considering I have played them correctly in the past.
Also, stick size makes sense to me. I used Pro Mark 747's, but when I was younger I had switched to the wider 808's (they no longer make them) so I went back to 747s. Ill hit Guitar center this weekend and grab a few larger diameter sticks and give them a roll through. I'm about average size, but my hands are probably a bit on the smaller side.

Regarding stretching, warm up, etc; I stretch all the time due to some lower back problems, but I generally warm up and stretch everything, legs, back, shoulders, hands, etc.

I do not expect change within a practice session and I dont expect perfection, just continual improvement and I have improved in general, but as noted, it seems to be taking a very long time for my left to come good and these stupid little mistakes creep into every song I play. Some times it's a timing thing, sometimes I literally forget where I am and other times my left will be cramping a bit and instead of a crisp, on time, crack of the snare I end up with a slightly delayed tink of a hit.
Generally I dont have any qualms with practice itself (ie. rudiments, etc) unless I cramp up immediately and can't get it to loosen up. Its mostly playing songs where I end up frustrated.

Something occurred to me after I posted my original message. I had covid about 8 months ago and I think I can trace some of my issues back to that time frame. I didn't really have the energy to play at all for a week or 2, then for another couple of weeks I was kind of weak and 'off' and my timing was horrid.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm going to alter my approach and work on getting rid of the tension and I am going to reduce the stick exercises prior to playing songs and focus more on loosening up and warm up. I am pretty active and use my hands a lot, I'm in IT so I'm always at a keyboard, I do woodworking (mostly hand tools) and I'm into sim racing, so I spend quite a bit of time with a wheel in my hands "racing" online, which builds tension as well, so I wonder if maybe I'm just wearing out my hands and forearms with all the stuff I do +stick exercises away from the kit.

Back