Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

Wow! And 6pc Collectors aren't cheap!!....Perhaps you should sell it now while they are still practically new and get something else!!!

I'm trying. I paied $4000 for them, they are broken glass. I want a gretsh USA custom so bad, I bought Catalina bop for gigs and it sounds better than my dubs, I think dw are just full of shit, they are AMAZING at marketing but man gretsch knows how to make a drum shell.

I saw Dave Weckl + band play at The Basement in Sydney years ago and it was the most boring concert I have been to ever.

And I think Keith Jarrett's groaning spoils his music.

Dutch

You're all so adorable but here is the ultimate unpopular opinion (for this forum at least):

Electronic drums are better than acoustic in every single way and one day will take over the world!!!

(Send your hate mail c/o toddmc...)

I hate my 6 piece dw collectors, only 6 months old too.

One has to wonder why the older model entry kits of the 80s and early 90s are so appealing to many of today's drummers

Rockstars, exports, APKs

Solid construction, those gorgeous long lugs, easy to tune, CHEAP, the sound....

I dunno, I just can't get into today's kits....something about them

I see soooo many Gretsch Catalina Clubs for sale second hand these days

Shallow shells make me wanna upchuck

I really enjoy Travis Barker's drum parts and find them a lot of fun to play.

I am a 48 year old man.

There, I said it.

One has to wonder why the older model entry kits of the 80s and early 90s are so appealing to many of today's drummers

Rockstars, exports, APKs

Solid construction, those gorgeous long lugs, easy to tune, CHEAP, the sound....

I dunno, I just can't get into today's kits....something about them

I see soooo many Gretsch Catalina Clubs for sale second hand these days

Shallow shells make me wanna upchuck

I'll second that, Drumkat. I play an old 80's Rockstar and I love it. We have a newer Starclassic in the studio too. I admit that the Starclassic set sounds better. I'd be an idiot if I didn't. Ha ha! But I look at that kit and it just looks puny with its tiny little 10" and 12" shallow toms. It has a little 14" "floor tom" hanging off the rack too. Then, my Rockstar is in the other corner looking all beefy with its square toms in (what used to be) standard sizes (12, 13 & 16) looking all menacing over there. It's no wonder guest drummers gravitate to my set. It sounds pretty good too.

This message has been deleted by Hollywood Jim. Because it was unpopular.......

I experience the exact opposite over there. This isn't the first time I've heard about that mod though. I honestly just find myself intimidated by this forum sometimes. If I need serious advice, I come here. If I just want to talk shop, I go there because I find it much more laid back

I think that the "unpopular drumming opinion" can be taken exactly how you want to take it. Some guys will see it as a massive s$$t stirring fest, and some will say "oh cool, lets see what people think".

This may sound ignorant, but what is this other forum that everyone keeps posting about?

Radia cymbals are super-useful, and a great excuse to have forty cymbals on your kit.

There is no best drummer in the world. Not even Buddy Rich.

Drummers make a lot of excuses for doing/not doing something. To wit: "I won't play odd size drums because nobody sells the heads". Order some spares, and make 'em part of your gig list. Be your own tech and store when it comes to special items.

Drummers spend way to much time tuning individual drums, and not the entire kit (which is why your 13" tom is "hard to tune").

Modern music making is a laissez-faire capitalist pursuit, to include all of the industry that makes the instruments possible, the industry that provides the electricity for stage lights, amps and so on, to the political freedom to get on a stage and say whatever you want without fear of retribution, and the economic strength and free time it allows to get an audience of any size to leave their hovels and see your silly show. All of the art school schlock is just a cog in the larger ideological machine.

Tommy Lee is a great performer.

Rototoms are at once the best and worst idea Remo has ever had.

Oh, I guess that's enough poking the bear.

My midnight confession:

I do not see the point of, and have no desire to own, double bass drum pedals.

I like drum solos. Especially the long extended 15 or 20 minute solos like they had in the 70's. I wish today's drummers played more solos like those.

That actually made me think of another one. It seems like there's some snobbery online with people that play their bass drums wide open. Please don't take that wrong, alparrott. I swear I'm not singling you out or anything. You said it nicely. LOL... Some people take it farther and insinuate people don't know how to tune if they like pillows in their bass drum.

But anyway, in real life, I see muffling in every bass drum being used. I personally can't stand a wide open bass drum for any type of rock music, so I use slight muffling myself. I tried to like wide open, but just can't. It's an undefined low end rumbling mess in any rock situation I've been in.

Chris

You said it quite respectfully, Chris, and no issues there. I don't insinuate that folks who stuff their kicks full of stuff don't know how to tune, I'm just saying I prefer the sound of a boomier, throatier kick. I do have a very light pillow that I will stuff into the kick if I need a bit more muffling, but most times it's the batter tuned low, the reso tuned medium-high, and a rolled-up t-shirt just touching the batter. That sounds great and full and can easily be miked and modified to whatever is needed.

But I *do* see these kits with the kitchen sink and three loads of laundry in there, I'm like, wow. Usually also a ton of duct tape on the heads and even a bandanna under the snare batter. Bro, do you even know what your drums sound like out front?

I can't stand the look of two bass drums.
I love my Ahead drum sticks.
DW drums are some of the WORST looking tubs I've had the misfortune to see.

I'm sure I could think of some more...

Back