Triggering??

neksss1

I was wondering if someone is using triggers for whole set and just overhead mics how would he record that sound,what equipment would he needed?
and if triggers needs module could you use module for overheads?

A trigger is associated with one sound source, which then 'triggers' a sound sample (or effect.) An overhead mic would be a somewhat useless triggering device, as there are too many sounds without enough clarity/separation to allow clean triggering.

For drum triggering, you need triggers, a sound module (or appropriate laptop connection and program) and obviously the ability to amplify the sounds at drum kit volume and frequency range.

Bermuda

Ya - like that ^^^^.

You would need triggers and a module for the drums, overheads, a mixer, cables, and an amp or headphones to hear it.
The triggers go into the module. The module's audio outs and the mics go into the mixer.
The mixer outs go into the amp.
If your overheads need phantom power, you need to get a mixer that offers it or a pre amp.
Then you need something to record it with.
If you use a computer, you'll need an audio interface, or a mixer with usb or firewire output..
You can also use a standalone audio recorder.

Oh... recording the sounds... yeah, what Wildbill said!

I'm set up for that right now, sort of.

I have a firewire mixer with 4 XLR inputs and 4 stereo 1/4" inputs.

I'm using the XLR inputs for:
snare top
snare bottom
overhead left
overhead right

my kick and two toms are triggered. they are all muffled with some foam I cut up to fit around the inside of the drum for accurate triggering. it's difficult to trigger an unmuffled drum, as the vibrations go across the head, back and forth, around and around, often causing the trigger to fire multiple times on one hit.

so anyway, my trigger module, an alesis dm5 has 4 outputs, so I can set each of my 3 triggered drums to a different output, and record everything multitracked. this will all go into reaper, where I will replace the triggered drum sounds with samples from Superior Drummer.

I could have triggered the snare as well, but I built the snare myself and am quite attached to it, and feel it deserves to be recorded.

Back