Top metal snare drums

I wouldn't say the Supra is the most sought after snare all genres included, it seems to be a good allrounder though, despite bad hardware reputation. But I would much rather have a BB or even better, a cast bronze snare of comparable or better quality (Tama Bell Brass, Sonor Cast Bronze, Gretsch USA Bell Brass/Phosphor Bronze, Oriollo etc) for heavier styles of music (my type of music). Too bad they are all so expensive... I've yet to enter a studio with a good snare drum collection, with an engineer suggesting a Supra for loud hard rock/metal music at least, though it would probably work for some, there are better choices available for that desired sound (very generally speaking), usually.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the Supra is the most sought after snare all genres included, it seems to be a good allrounder though, despite bad hardware reputation. But I would much rather have a BB or even better, a cast bronze snare of comparable or better quality (Tama Bell Brass, Sonor Cast Bronze, Gretsch USA Bell Brass/Phosphor Bronze, Oriollo etc) for heavier styles of music (my type of music). Too bad they are all so expensive... I've yet to enter a studio with a good snare drum collection, with an engineer suggesting a Supra for loud hard rock/metal music at least, though it would probably work for some, there are better choices available for that desired sound (very generally speaking), usually.
Put it this way…while I think that you’re probably right about brass snares being more suited to metal that requires a strong ring, if you’re in a heavy band and you have a Supra and it doesn’t sound good, I’m not blaming the Supra ;). The Supra isn’t some meek little snare.

2) What metal snare drum is most common among Jazz drummers?
Thanks.

When I started this thread, this was one of my two questions. Mr. Rick Dior has a very informative video listing his own favorite Jazz snare drums. He has listed five wood and five metal snare drums. He has interesting choices. Two different Ludwig metal snares are in his list.

1) Leedy 2000's COB 14"x 5" Brass SD
2) Pearl 1990's Marvin Smitty Smith 14"x 4.5" Copper SD
3) Ludwig 1920's 14"x 4" Brass SD
4) Gretsch 1960's model 1460 14"x 5.5" COB SD with Calf Heads
5) Ludwig Black Beauty 90th Anniversary 14"x 5.5 SD w/Calf Heads

Gretsch 4160 brass 8L 5X14 with a tight Fiberskyn 2 top
tell no one
I'm serious Tell No One
we are monitoring

Dunnett and Joyful Noise belong in the Millionaires club right?

Friend had one, Saw him. Heard it being played. Got close to it myself. Was magical as if it actually had it's own spirit

no thank you not for me Spirits and ghosts scare me I don't want any parts of one.
1948 wood 6L WFL 6.5 , 1965 RB 8L Renown pearl, about as exotic as I care to be

ezFXBFR.jpeg

next level

They are magical! Sorry about that birch drum crashing this metal thread 07E693B6-E9B6-4829-A70A-3F3A97432B1F.jpeg

Featured 5x14 COB snare drums by Rick Dior:

Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King
Rogers Dynasonic
Gretsch 4160 Round Badge
Ludwig Black Beauty

I was lucky to find a new Ludwig Bronze Supra at Memphis drum shop just before the discontinuation of this model. Warmer than brass but still has the brightness of a metal shell with a bit of a 'bark' to its sound character. The 5x14 is pretty great too.

20220723-_DSC0287-2.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a Premier Hi Fi from the 60's that is in mint condition and sounds as good as it looks. I still love Acrolites. I guess that's why I have seven of them. My favorite is stamped December 1966 but the s/n is a '67. Original heads make it sound amazing. I love the honk!

Back