Top metal snare drums

This echoes my reasons for never buying one - their reputation far exceeds what the actual quality of the product deserves imo.
They have somehow brainwashed people into accepting that it's 'part of the charm' but I'm not falling for it - especially for the prices they now charge.
I hear you and totally agree... But.... Once I played my LM 402 it felt and sounds exactly what I'm going for. I love the thing. I have not one thought of regret on its purchase.

People always have a go at Ludwig, especially about the strainers etc., and how much they cost. But the bottom line is they sound AMAZING. If you don't like the sound, that's fine, you don't have to buy one. But a lot of people agree that they sound incredible, and that's ultimately always going to be the most important thing...

People always have a go at Ludwig, especially about the strainers etc., and how much they cost. But the bottom line is they sound AMAZING. If you don't like the sound, that's fine, you don't have to buy one. But a lot of people agree that they sound incredible, and that's ultimately always going to be the most important thing...

I own to BB's. I concur with all of this.

I also don't get the digs about the throw off. Ludwig has been using the P-88 for years. I guess it's still fashionable to drag Ludwig for the P-85, but that hasn't been an accurate problem for quite a while.

I also don't get the digs about the throw off. Ludwig has been using the P-88 for years. I guess it's still fashionable to drag Ludwig for the P-85, but that hasn't been an accurate problem for quite a while.
Also if you treat it with basic respect, the p85 generally does its job, and if you really hate it it's not that difficult to replace...

Here are some of my favorite metal snare drums (in no particular order):

Beier 14” X 5.5” Steel
Beier 15” X 4” Steel
Dunnett 14” X 6.5” 2N Beaded Stainless Steel
Gretsch 5.5” X 14” Keith Carlock Signature Brass
Joyful Noise 4” X 14” Custom Legacy Aluminum
Joyful Noise 14” X 6.5” TKO Brass
Joyful Noise 14” X 6.5” Beacon Bronze
Legend 14” X 4” Phosphor Bronze
Ludwig 14” X 5” Acrolite (Black)
Ludwig 14” X 8” Black Beauty
Noble & Cooley 14” X 6” Classic Alloy RAW Finish Shell
Yeah, the Beier steel snares do sound nice! Are they still being made?

Yeah, the Beier steel snares do sound nice! Are they still being made?
No, unfortunately Jim stopped accepting new orders in June 2022 and shortly thereafter closed up his shop. Sad day!
If you can find any of his snares grab one. They are great instruments!

I own 16 Ludwig snare drums, '65 - current, and never had a problem. The P88 is one of my favorite throw-offs.
I have no idea what my Dec 2021 build LM402 has. Anyone know? Thanks

*Edit: Typo. 2021 (not 2022).

Last edited:
The Ludwig Supraphonic LM402 is widely considered one of the best and most popular metal snare drums, but it's not necessarily the most sought-after in every genre of music. It's widely used in many styles of music, including rock, pop, and jazz, the specific snare drum used often depends on the desired sound and the player's personal preference.

I think the real reason the supra is so popular is because it’s on many of the hit records from the 60s and onward. That’s why it’s sought after (in my opinion). And of course, that guy from Zeppelin played one too. So I figure it stands to reason if you’re gonna play the popular classic music, you might as well have the snare that did it. I agree the BB is also great, but those are more expensive. The Super-Sensitive is great, but it’s been discontinued for some time. And they both suffer from the same question: “do I need that if the regular Supra is what did it in the first place?” So I think this is why they’re sought out, not necessarily that they’re superior instruments, but they produce the sound that everyone associates the music with.

...................... the specific snare drum used often depends on the desired sound and the player's personal preference.

I agree 200%. There should not be any artificial barriers that prohibit creativity and personal choice.
You MUST play a Piccolo snare because you play Funk. You MUST play a wood snare because you play Jazz.

Not a big fan of the p88, it is functional but the tension knob is very tight if want a quick adjust...there are better throwoff out designs out there for sure. However stuff like wires, throwoffs, straps can all be upgraded at a minimal cost and I find them a big quality life improvement. But I have harp on the plastic strap, I had one give out on me in the middle of a take (brand new drum).

Elvin played a Bell Brass Tama and a Keplinger; the holy grails of rock snare drums....there are no rules. I think for jazz, its more important to connect with a sound that inspires creative playing and finding surprising sounds but some comfort of control to get your ideas translated. I like the acrolite 'honk', but I like the super warmth of black nickle over brass; one is rude and one is polite but either have a ton of headroom and sensitivity, great for brushes.

Back