Tom tree or VBD?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Where do the majority stand on this burning issue?

Virgin BD all day.

Im only using one rack at the moment so mounting off a Sonor Double Cymbal stand is super easy, and it allows one stand to hold 3 cymbals and a Tom

As explained countless times, I haven't had a bass drum with a tom mount since the '90s, and I'm never going back. My virgin-bass preference doesn't come down to appearance alone, though that's an important factor in my calculations. Equally significant is that I value the functionality of a virgin setup. With my tom in a snare stand, I can pull my bass out for tuning or head changes without disrupting other components of my kit. Then I move the bass back into position, and I'm ready to resume without further adjustment. Hence, I don't subscribe to the charge that virgin bass drums are inconvenient, a term that lacks all-inclusive meaning. Each drummer defines convenience in his or her own way. My way holds that virgin bass drums are wonderfully convenient.

Last edited:
virgin for me, only b/c it allows me to put the bass drum where it is comfortable, as well as my toms. it allows for some real funky set ups when I want to go there

I never did it b/c I feel like it improves the sound of the BD...if it does, I have been either too deaf or dumb to notice it

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Yes!

All of my bass drums have a mount, but I rarely use them. I have several dedicated tom tom stands and if I'm using two mounted toms I'll use a stand mostly because I like my toms shifted over towards the hi hat, creating an upside triangle between the two toms and snare, something I can't do putting two toms on a bass drum mount.

If I was a "one up" guy I prefer to mount a single tom in a snare stand.

Ii I use the BD mount most times it's to put a cymbal stand top in there if I can position the cymbal around the tom floating over the bass drum.

The one thing I'm not a big fan of is flying toms off of cymbal stands exclusively. I was always trying to get the perfect amount of cantilever between the cymbal and tom to keep the stand stable and making sure that the position of the tom mount and the cymbal arm remained constant slowed things down. It also makes for a heavy and awkward piece of equipment.

I've had both, and don't really have a preference, but don't really think virgin bass drums make much difference in terms of sound. I think it's an aesthetic choice more than anything. But that's just me.

I was on the VBD team for a number of years. Then, I realized whatever sonic gains I got from a VBD were overshadowed by the convenience of not having to fly the tom in on a stand, positioning the legs, etc.

Either way. You do you. I have kits that use both methods, and I’m fine with each. My go to gigging kits have tom (and cymbal) mounts attached to the bass drum.

I've had both, and don't really have a preference, but don't really think virgin bass drums make much difference in terms of sound. I think it's an aesthetic choice more than anything. But that's just me.
I propose this thread is closed after this statement. Thanks Larry.

Local & studio: tree

Touring: virgin kick

I propose this thread is closed after this statement. Thanks Larry.
Lol, did I say something right, or say something wrong?

I have one of each and they both work for what I ask them to do. Some manufacturers do the tom tree much better than others.

One kit has mounts on the kick and I haven't used them in years as I went to 1up/1down. If I went back to a 3up/1down setup I would use them again as it makes the most sense.

The other kit has a "virgin" kick and I hang the rack tom on a separate Road Pro Tom stand with a cymbal boom above it. I went through the whole testing phase with the rack in the snare stand, with and without booty shakers etc and for this particular kit the "hung" mounting was significantly better for me.

If people prefer toms mounted on the kick......so be it, whatever blows your hair back.......just play....

I have both setups.

My little Yammy Gigmaker has a tom tree......I like it that way. It's compact, looks traditional and saves a bit of space at home......the intended use of the Yammy is just as a practice, bunkie kit so a tom tree is ideal.

My Mapex Orion bass drum is virgin and I like that too....mainly because I will always use a rack with that kit......so it makes sense to me that it's a virgin shell.

I don't really have a preference per say.......they both have their charms.

Cool with either option. Current bass drums are virgin, but I’ve owned and enjoyed a million sets with tom mounts on the bass drums. I’m only using a mounted tom on about half of my gigs now, and when I do have one it’s in a snare stand. Sound is a non-factor for me, as I muffle my bass drums pretty aggressively.

Back