The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Peter Erskine:

"I finally got to meet him in 1972 as the eighteen-year-old drummer with Stan Kenton’s Orchestra. Buddy sat in for Stan at the last moment at the Monterey Jazz Festival as a favor to Stan. Stan had fallen ill near the end of a Disneyland gig at the end of the summer of 1972. Buddy came out after we played a few numbers on our own and he sat down at my drumset with single-headed toms and cymbals as big as gongs and he made it all sound like him, as if those were his drums. Witnessing this was one of the great drum and music lessons of my life."

December 4th 1982... this is the day that I stepped onto Buddy Rich's tour bus and he handed me a pair of his drumsticks . 20240326_173317.jpg20240326_173633.jpg

December 4th 1982... this is the day that I stepped onto Buddy Rich's tour bus and he handed me a pair of his drumsticks . View attachment 145748View attachment 145749
That's great! I've seen Buddy 5 times but never in a small club like that. Good score on getting in!

Is Sir Morgan's still around? I like the ads. Alice Cooper and the Rolling Stone at Lowe's, that must have been a movie. And who were The Kidz? And I wonder if the kid ever got his $2 million from Milton Bradley for inventing the toy tank?🤔

Thanks for sharing!

That's great! I've seen Buddy 5 times but never in a small club like that. Good score on getting in!

Is Sir Morgan's still around? I like the ads. Alice Cooper and the Rolling Stone at Lowe's, that must have been a movie. And who were The Kidz? And I wonder if the kid ever got his $2 million from Milton Bradley for inventing the toy tank?🤔

Thanks for sharing!
Sir Morgan's Cove is no longer there. But I do know that the Rolling Stones we're at Sir Morgan's Cove but unfortunately I never knew that and I probably was too young to see them anyway.

Sir Morgan's Cove is no longer there. But I do know that the Rolling Stones we're at Sir Morgan's Cove but unfortunately I never knew that and I probably was too young to see them anyway.
That's right! I remember that! I think that's why I know of Sir Morgan's. I think it was to kick off their US tour. I believe they were staying in Long Meadow.

I was chatting with a guy in a guitar store yesterday and he asked me who my favorite drummers were, and of course, I said Buddy Rich. I was astounded at his reply: "Who is Buddy Rich? What band did he play with?" (I think he meant what rock band). I said, "Buddy was the greatest jazz drummer who ever lived, he played with every big name in the book; Count Basie, Artie Shaw, Harry James, you name it. He had his own big band, was naturally gifted from birth, joined his parents' vaudeville act when he was two, was one of the highest paid child stars ever, and could do things behind a drumset that nobody else could do." I told him to watch clips on YouTube.

Some guitar players amaze me at times.

I was chatting with a guy in a guitar store yesterday and he asked me who my favorite drummers were, and of course, I said Buddy Rich. I was astounded at his reply: "Who is Buddy Rich? What band did he play with?" (I think he meant what rock band). I said, "Buddy was the greatest jazz drummer who ever lived, he played with every big name in the book; Count Basie, Artie Shaw, Harry James, you name it. He had his own big band, was naturally gifted from birth, joined his parents' vaudeville act when he was two, was one of the highest paid child stars ever, and could do things behind a drumset that nobody else could do." I told him to watch clips on YouTube.

Some guitar players amaze me at times.
Wow😳 That's amazing. Buddy Rich was almost a household name throughout the 60s 70s and 80s. Many non drummers would come out to see him and his orchestra play. The guy was just everywhere.

Wow😳 That's amazing. Buddy Rich was almost a household name throughout the 60s 70s and 80s. Many non drummers would come out to see him and his orchestra play. The guy was just everywhere.
Even in Worcester, Massachusetts!

This is from my father's collection that were promotional albums of Buddy Rich and I thought that I'd share them with you. I'm not sure if today they're in circulation but I know these are 2 LP Albums. ENJOY!
20240510_081602.jpg20240510_081617.jpg20240510_081710.jpg20240510_081721.jpg

It seems you don’t have to look very hard on the internet for people who have some reason to hate Buddy Rich. And not to spark an argument, but I think I discovered why.

CE22CF1E-E90A-4EA1-9826-ED506FF80EE4.jpeg
It’s because he says stuff like this and he’s right. Take your average keyboard warriors on the internet - those guys are not spending their time playing as much as they can so they can coordinate their bodies to be better players - they’re too busy arguing their case(s) on the internet. I’d hate Buddy too for pointing out the obvious to me!

But I’m from a different era where I actually practiced a lot and played with a lot of bands (and got fired a lot too). I didn’t have the internet to distract me back then like I do now (I’d probably be really really really good now if I didn’t spend so much time on the internet as it is 😂😂😂). But discuss: how can you argue that Buddy is wrong on this?

Eh, I think listening to music, working the rudiments, and playing along to music are pretty crucial for most of us. But mainly because we don’t have the chance to play with others for hours a day. Playing with others is definitely the fastest way by far

I’d say that was a pretty innocuous quote by Buddy Rich standards. He said a lot worse and often came off as arrogant, so there’s def more reasons out there to hate him. But I totally agree that nowadays with the internet, hate is rampant and so easy to spread.

I remember reading some comments on a Stevie Ray Vaughan video on YouTube. People got into a huge fight about who was better, Hendrix or SRV. And some accused SRV of flat out stealing from Hendrix. People that do that are seriously stunted intelligently and emotionally. And you’re right, spending more time passively soaking up all the garbage, instead of trying to live an active, engaged life.

Like I tell my wife… just don’t read it. Wish I could follow my own advice.

Buddy was 100% correct. How can anyone take issue with that statement? It's basically common sense. And I don't think playing with other people is a replacement for practicing on one's own. Even if I'm playing with other people I still need to work on the tunes on my own. Maybe it's to work on a difficult or cumbersome transition or to lay down the beat exactly as it is on the recording (for covers). I admit I've not played original music outside of just winging it when jamming. But I imagine I'd need to spend time working out the details of any originals I need to play as well. Buddy is correct and to claim you hate him for that comment is, well....

I think people disliked Buddy for how he said things-not what he said. He has one of those arrogant personas that just ticks people off. And rumors how mean, impatient, and demanding he could be puts people off. He could have played the conductor on Whiplash so demanding, mean, impatient but a good conductor because he would show them how to play fast. Besides it's stupid-of course no one can improve or even learn any instrument without playing it. Duh..... See it pisses me off just saying it LOL.

What's wild is growing up in 60-70s I thought Buddy Rich was the best player that ever lived. Boy that shows you what a sheltered life. I think he would make a top ten list but not sure if top 5 presently. There are some fantastic players who can playing anything Buddy played and then some. I like that-the bar always going higher. Some folks find that trend intimidating but I find pushing new frontiers exciting-like the sciences. Incubators of innovation.

Last edited:
Blast from the past:

It seems you don’t have to look very hard on the internet for people who have some reason to hate Buddy Rich. And not to spark an argument, but I think I discovered why.

View attachment 146241
It’s because he says stuff like this and he’s right. Take your average keyboard warriors on the internet - those guys are not spending their time playing as much as they can so they can coordinate their bodies to be better players - they’re too busy arguing their case(s) on the internet. I’d hate Buddy too for pointing out the obvious to me!

But I’m from a different era where I actually practiced a lot and played with a lot of bands (and got fired a lot too). I didn’t have the internet to distract me back then like I do now (I’d probably be really really really good now if I didn’t spend so much time on the internet as it is 😂😂😂). But discuss: how can you argue that Buddy is wrong on this?
Bo - You and Buddy are correct. My dad always said you don't learn to drive till after you get your license. Also, today people are actively looking for reasons to be offended.👍

Back