The Death Of The Drumstick?

"Just use less amps!"

"And never ever a-gain say "Death of Drum Sticks on a Drum Forum! 😁

Last edited:
The solution is mostly developing the technique to play softer.

Keep your sticks lower and practice playing quietly but with intensity.
This is exactly right. Learn to play quietly with sticks. It can be done. Think dynamics. Do some of you guys just bash away all night without regard to volume? If that's the case, then you need to think about altering your approach. You can achieve very powerful results playing dynamically.

This is where drummers who have classical experience really excel. They know how to play quietly. If I had to use brushes or dowel sticks all night, I'd go crazy. If we're faced with a volume issue at the beginning of the night, I'll use dowel sticks for maybe the first 4-5 songs, but if the tunes require cross stick rimshots, I have to use sticks. I also use them whenever I have to play a country tune with a "Train" beat, like Johnny Cash's "I Walk The Line," or "Folsom Prison." After that, I gladly put them away, and go forward with sticks.

Besides, who wants to play rock 'n roll with brushes? Jeez, that's nuts. The music is supposed to be played at a certain volume to sound right, and if venues constantly complain about the volume of bands, they should just hire an acoustic single or duo. I've actually told club owners to do just that on occasion. Don't have bands if it's that much of an issue.

I've had to do this with a few bands/groups I've been in or sat in with. It sucks, but if it's the difference between playing and not playing, pass the rods.

I used to play at a church that had mics on the Mapex Saturn drums and Sabian AAX cymbals. Now I play in a very small church with Pearl Export drums and thin cymbals. I also use thinner sticks. Peace and goodwill.
I've almost always brought my own cymbals when I play at church. My current church could probably hold a couple hundred or so...not a small church but not exactly a large one either. Our attendance is MAYBE 100 on Sundays...

That said, the overly bright Sabian B8-somethings that the music director says she inherited from the previous generation are way too much for that room. One drummer in the rotation uses rods exclusively. I'm not really a fan unless that is the particular sound I'm going for. I bring my own darker, thinner cymbals that open up a lot easier and don't overpower the others.

after reading this thread, it made me think back on how many gigs I have ever had where we were told to play softer

I can only think of 3 gigs in 40+ years of playing where that actually happened, and they have all been with my country band (none of the metal or punk gigs ever got told to be quiet)

1. a winery gig where the neighbors who live more than a mile away complained one evening. We had played that place a million times and that never happened

2. this Stutz Car Club gig last summer where the youngest attendee was probably 92...I was the youngest one there overall at 54. That was "the gig" where I had to go to fingers only, and no bass drum to keep the patrons happy

3. an outdoor festival where the event coordinator put the stage right next to an auctioneers tent, and they could not hear the auctioneer...all of the bands had to play quieter

We actually got a crazy lady that called the police on us when we played at a main street pub during the daytime (around 15.00 PM) last fall, because of the insane noise level. The owner just shrugged it off (as did the police), this is a metal pub/club, for crying out loud :p. Only about 40 minutes of playing, everyone on the street level seemed to love it at least.. Sort of amusing. Still didn't hear anyone suggest that we played softer/me using anything other than sticks. But it is a whole different thing in that genre, it is supposed to be loud, this is not easy listening background music. Playing a small pub with a country/blues act where people might expect to be able to sit around and talk to each other is quite a different thing and I understand why it is more easily accepted to play with rods or brushes.

Using thin sticks with a long taper and using thin, dark cymbals is the way to go. It's all about the right tools for the right job. I have to play quiet, wallpaper trio & quartet jazz. Using thinner cymbals and really light sticks allows me to play quietly but with my normal motions. I can tell you using 5B's ain't gonna be quiet, no matter how much you try.

Also, you have to practice playing softer. There is no shortcut. It's easy if you give it a little time. You can rely more on finger control rather than wrist or arm movements. It's actually easier on your body and requires much less work physically, but a lot more work mentally. Just keep working at it.

I have gained a reputation among musicians around town as the "Quietest Intense" drummer around. I still play my ass off, but I do it at low volumes. Fortunately I have lots of formal training so it wasn't anything new for me, but it still takes a lot of effort, if that makes sense.

One other thing, if you play quiet 99% of the time like I do on my gigs, then a well placed/well timed bass drum bomb or cymbal whack is VERY effective. I don't do them often, but when the music calls for it and the moment is right, it makes a much larger impact then it would on any loud rock gig.

My preferred light, thin sticks are La Backbeat 500, 505JBX, or 520JBX. I also like the Bopworks Birdland. Vic Firth AJ6 is another stick that's very good at low volumes.

Once you get your Neuralink you can bluetooth to your ekit and control it. Look Ma no hands. You won't really need a kit really-you just sit in the audience playing through the sound system with the band in front of you-just you'll be seeing their front for a change . Heck you can be whole band for that matter-like Steve Winwood. You just think it-who'd uh thunk it.

Well Elon got nuttin' on me-I did my own Neuralink (up here on my Moon base I) when I first got wind of his research- so way ahead of the curve in cyborgenics. I'm hoping it heals with no notice. I'm a pretty good microsurgeon but the big stitches not so much-so I stapled it. Matt Damon is a wimp in the Martian-he never did brain surgery. He may have grown taters-but no major surgery and on himself no less. What would he do a brain-tater transplant ROFL.

View attachment 143847View attachment 143848

I use VF SD1 on the practice pad to build finger and wrist strength & speed. I've tried VF 5a Freestyle (long taper) and like them as well as VF SD5 Echo. THose are light & fun but not great on ride or crash. When I recorded myself I found the sticks don't sound as good as VF Steve Gadd wire brushes (upbent tips). They're a wee bit short so I ordered some Flix Jazz XL. I'm old (77) and just getting back into playing. I'll probably never again get to play out or get together with other musicians. Mostly I stick to soft jazz, soft pop, stuff like that, so I don't need volume - just control and a good sound from the drums.

Once you get your Neuralink you can bluetooth to your ekit and control it. Look Ma no hands. You won't really need a kit really-you just sit in the audience playing through the sound system with the band in front of you-just you'll be seeing their front for a change . Heck you can be whole band for that matter-like Steve Winwood. You just think it-who'd uh thunk it.

Well Elon got nuttin' on me-I did my own Neuralink (up here on my Moon base I) when I first got wind of his research- so way ahead of the curve in cyborgenics. I'm hoping it heals with no notice. I'm a pretty good microsurgeon but the big stitches not so much-so I stapled it. Matt Damon is a wimp in the Martian-he never did brain surgery. He may have grown taters-but no major surgery and on himself no less. What would he do a brain-tater transplant ROFL.

View attachment 143847View attachment 143848
Which one is you?
(Give me an eye count?)

No, this situation is yours and probably yours alone. Drumsticks aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Maybe you need to say goodbye to the cranky old men in your band.
I think it was cranky old dudes in audience at a cocktail hour they were playing for. And like I said - old dudes often have hearing loss and with that hearing loss often comes an aversion to loud noises. Seems contradictory but it is a real clinical phenomena. So when a few people tell you you're too loud pay attention to them - you probably are too loud.

About half the bands we go see the snare drum is the loudest instrument in the entire band. That's not good. Ever heard of dynamics? Or playing to the venue? Why do so many people think the amps have to be hot for the band and the snare has to so darn loud. Loud isn't an attribute. It's not a feature.

Maple Sticks
No. Maple sticks are not any less loud. They're lighter. I use them I prefer them; because they are lighter and I can play better with them. But now that RT is no longer an entity I have transitioned to VF hickory with lacquer coating. A bit heavier but no so much it's a problem. I'm not any louder with them.

I went to a jazz jam a few weeks ago and it was mostly older folks. Three of them complained that the ride cymbal was causing their hearing aids to make noise. Not really making musical choices at that point, just accommodating oldsters. I go from that to playing with one country band where they take their hearing aids out and it’s so loud on stage that I can’t hear my drums acoustically. Two ends of the aging musician spectrum.

Reactions: RVC
Did a job last night that’s a perfect example of a place where there’s no way I could use sticks. The venue is a tiny little wine bar. Dig this acoustic nightmare:

IMG_3604.jpeg

IMG_3605.jpeg

Here’s a short little clip. I’m using brushes and playing pretty softly, and it’s my duo thing so no full band. As I mentioned in my previous post, brushes or Flix lend themselves nicely to the old soul and country stuff I play. Anything more rockin’ and I don’t think I’d be able to work this venue.

Did a job last night that’s a perfect example of a place where there’s no way I could use sticks. The venue is a tiny little wine bar. Dig this acoustic nightmare:

View attachment 143943

View attachment 143944

Here’s a short little clip. I’m using brushes and playing pretty softly, and it’s my duo thing so no full band. As I mentioned in my previous post, brushes or Flix lend themselves nicely to the old soul and country stuff I play. Anything more rockin’ and I don’t think I’d be able to work this venue.

my jazz/country band has a regular Christmas gig at a micro brewery here in town that is that same acoustic set up - horrible!! It is a bit bigger, which makes it worse. The general noise of the crowd usually overpowers us as the night goes on, and it gets hard for me to hear the rest of the guys in the band. This will be our 8th year doing it though, so we must be doing something right

Reactions: RVC
Is anyone else being made to hang up the sticks in favour of a lower volume alternative? Or would you guys prefer to use low volume heads and cymbals and keep using sticks instead?
I came from the rock & metal scene and I'd just hammer away at the kit without thinking about the volume.
Enter the new band & the bass player made it his mission to get me to control my volume. His delivery was a bit jaded, but his message was clear. He was right and I've learned a lot about keeping the touch light & using volume when it's appropriate.
I can say I've became a better Hired Gun thanks to him & the blues band I sub for has noticed a vast improvement.

I came from the rock & metal scene and I'd just hammer away at the kit without thinking about the volume.
Enter the new band & the bass player made it his mission to get me to control my volume. His delivery was a bit jaded, but his message was clear. He was right and I've learned a lot about keeping the touch light & using volume when it's appropriate.
I can say I've became a better Hired Gun thanks to him & the blues band I sub for has noticed a vast improvement.
Is this bass player the same guy who you were telling us a few months ago was giving you a hard time?

Is this bass player the same guy who you were telling us a few months ago was giving you a hard time?
Indeed.
As I've been playing with him, we've pretty much reached an agreement that I stay in my ;lane & he stays in his. I have one last show with them this Saturday & then we'll part ways. The old drummer came back a while ago & I'm basically just filling in for some shows I knew he wouldn't be in town for.

Even with all the issues, I still looked past his jaded nature and took the lesson he was trying to give. Lessons I'll take to my future projects and be the better drummer for it. Everyone has something to offer if the recipient can look past the delivery.

Indeed.
As I've been playing with him, we've pretty much reached an agreement that I stay in my ;lane & he stays in his. I have one last show with them this Saturday & then we'll part ways. The old drummer came back a while ago & I'm basically just filling in for some shows I knew he wouldn't be in town for.

Even with all the issues, I still looked past his jaded nature and took the lesson he was trying to give. Lessons I'll take to my future projects and be the better drummer for it. Everyone has something to offer if the recipient can look past the delivery.
Good on you for not letting things get out of hand, like I think you mentioned could have happened. It's not always easy to be assertive as opposed to aggressive, especially when dealing with certain types of people, but that's how we grow. Glad you took something good from the situation.

Back