The Big Band Giants - enjoy

Thank you Bernhard, for the cool video montage of some of Big Band's greatest drummers!

Happy Easter to you, your family, and to all of our friends here on the Drummerworld Forum too. :)

It's still funny and profound to think that jazz came along many years before rock music.

The jazz greats were true pioneers.

I don't think many normies even realize this.
I remember my dad saying if you can play jazz you can play anything. I believe it because I think jazz is one of the hardest things to play... at least for me.

I certainly don't remember him talking about rock and roll not in his day he was born in the early 1920s. I think back in those days it was all about Jazz.

I remember my dad saying if you can play jazz you can play anything. I believe it because I think jazz is one of the hardest things to play... at least for me.

I certainly don't remember him talking about rock and roll not in his day he was born in the early 1920s. I think back in those days it was all about Jazz.
I think there’s a lot of truth to that. But While I do know some jazz players who can’t play everything convincingly, it seems they’re getting fewer and farther between unless they’re total purists, and the new crop of jazz musicians are not nearly as purist about it.

We stand on the shoulders of giants. It was a tremendous honor (thanks to you, Bernhard) that I was able to meet both Louie Bellson and Ed Shaughnessy before they left us.
And I met Gene Krupa in 1952 when he spoke over my life and said to my parents "she looks like she's going to be a drummer" as he handed my father his signature sticks that I still have till this day also I was on Buddy Rich's tour bus that was parked in front of Sir Morgan's Cove in Worcester MA when he handed me his sticks in the mid-80s.

Last edited:
Gene Krupa's drum kit found and restored...

Gene Krupa's drum kit found and restored...

If you go to the 41:00 minute mark, you'll hear that Brooks mentions me as the one who told him about the Krupa set being auctioned. I was very happy to do that for him. I really wish he had won the set. I can't think of anyone who deserved it more than Brooks.

If you go to the 41:00 minute mark, you'll hear that Brooks mentions me as the one who told him about the Krupa set being auctioned. I was very happy to do that for him. I really wish he had won the set. I can't think of anyone who deserved it more than Brooks.
Wow! isn't that interesting. How much did the kit go for?

I don't know if you know some of my story but in 1952 my mom and dad went to a Gene Krupa concert at White City in Shrewsbury, MA. And as my mom was cradling me In her arms Gene said, "she looks like she's going to be a drummer" as he handed my father a pair of his signature sticks with his name stamped in green lettering that I still have till this day.

Wow! isn't that interesting. How much did the kit go for?

I don't know if you know some of my story but in 1952 my mom and dad went to a Gene Krupa concert at White City in Shrewsbury, MA. And as my mom was cradling me In her arms Gene said, "she looks like she's going to be a drummer" as he handed my father a pair of his signature sticks with his name stamped in green lettering that I still have till this day.
Thanks for that. I don't know what the set sold for, but I'm sure it was pretty substantial. I'll have to ask Brooks next time we talk. You told me your Krupa story a while ago. I regret that I never got to see Gene live or to meet him.

Back