The Art of Drumming - TV Show

Juniper

Gold Member
For those unaware the U.K. has been blessed with a TV documentary series in recent weeks called 'The Art of Drumming' which is currently being shown on Sky Arts.

It's a four part series, each episode around 1hour 15minutes, covering the roots of popular drumming, the musicianship involved and the drummers behind some famous bands. We have the final episode coming up this coming Friday at 9pm UK time.

Drummers featured/interviewed: Dave Weckl, Steve Smith, Ginger Baker, Mike Portnoy, Chad Smith, Ian Paice, Thomas Lang, Hal Blaine, Bernard Purdie, Bill Ward, Dave Lombardo, Clem Burke.....the list goes on and I've missed off lots featured in the show so far.

It's presented by the U.K.s very own Steve White who also was a consultant on the show.

Heads up to anyone in the U.K. and outside as I think there are plans for it to be shown in other countries.

Trailer for it can be seen below. Well worth keeping an eye out for.

https://youtu.be/-Qv69M0jfTA

It's been absolutely brilliant so far, surprised no one on here's actually mentioned it at all. A TV series for drummers. Even friends who aren't drummers have commented to me how it's made them appreciate our part to play in music.

Damn, I wish I had Sky TV. I wonder if it'll ever end up on terrestrial, or maybe youtube.

Damn, I wish I had Sky TV. I wonder if it'll ever end up on terrestrial, or maybe youtube.

Pretty sure you can sign up to a 14day free trial of Now TV (sky’s live and on demand service) and can watch it online. It should have the past episodes to watch also.

Just check Sky Arts is included (which I’m sure it is) and you’ll be good to go. Just remember to cancel your account before the 14days period is up so you don’t get charged.

I watched the first episode with my boy earlier this week. It was great and we’ll definitely watch the remaining three episodes. Steve White is a top, top guy. He gave a session about the clave at last year’s London Drum Show that was probably the highlight of the event for me. I’d agree that this show will appeal to anyone with an interest in music, not just drummers.

I watched the first episode with my boy earlier this week. It was great and we’ll definitely watch the remaining three episodes. Steve White is a top, top guy. He gave a session about the clave at last year’s London Drum Show that was probably the highlight of the event for me. I’d agree that this show will appeal to anyone with an interest in music, not just drummers.

Glad you’re both enjoying it and yes, Steve is indeed a top, top guy and a great educator.

Great stuff, thanks Juniper. I thought I would need one of those Now TV boxes but it seems I can watch from my laptop.

Yes you can use the service via a laptop and no worries at all, glad I could help you out. Hope you enjoy checking it out!

Yep, been watching it. Great stuff :)

In the first week they also followed it with an excellent documentary “My View: Clem Burke” which is pretty self explanatory, that’ll probably be available on demand too.
FYI Steve White is doing a clinic limited to 50 attendees at The Drumshop in Washington (Tyne and Wear) On Thursday 18th Ocrober, tickets are a tenner for any UK based drummers interested.

As I said to Steve, I honestly feel this is the documentary against which all other documentaries about any instrument will be measured. It's inspiring, moving, the production values are excellent from top to bottom, and it's all round bloody ace. There's something for all drumming tastes. For my personal taste, it was great to see Gadson on it last week.

In the first week they also followed it with an excellent documentary “My View: Clem Burke” which is pretty self explanatory, that’ll probably be available on demand too.

That was a really good show also, well made too.

Been a great few weeks for drums being represented on the TV. Not often you get a series and another documentary all within the same period.

Watched ep 3 last night.. which was great, even had Gadson in it.. and i love his playing...

Wow I've never seen it but been a fan of the Joy of Drumming with Bob Ross-yeah who knew he was an artist and a drummer LOL.

Attachments

• steve gadd_400x266_682abc7af4af99c5242736bdfe94092a.jpeg
    steve gadd_400x266_682abc7af4af99c5242736bdfe94092a.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 441
Christ, I completely forgot Steve Gadd's been interviewed/featured also.

That's just reminded me.

Nice Bob Ross reference too.

Back