Terrible Noble and Cooley News

I only met Jay and Nick once at the Drumcenter birthday party, but I sensed that they are straight-up nice peope.
I wonder who was making the toy metal drums back when I was a kid and saw them in ChildWorld with the Noble and Cooley brand label.
Jay can't be that old.

Wasn't most of that time making toy drums? They've only been making the SS drums since 1983.

Their single-ply years go back to before the Civil War. The toy drum business was much later, their single-ply military field drums were their first instruments. They were one of the preeminent drum builders in the 1800s. The website goes into more detail

Their single-ply years go back to before the Civil War. The toy drum business was much later, their single-ply military field drums were their first instruments. They were one of the preeminent drum builders in the 1800s. The website goes into more detail

It's true though that they were primarily a toy drum manufacturer. Jay was the one who pushed for their entrance into the professional music market in the 80's.

You really want to hear me preach on the topic of the evils of the Kevlar head era in marching bands? Because I love….to…preach…about…that
Me too. I have no affection for Kevlar snare heads. I was never into marching, but even so the Kevlar heads sonically repulse me.

It makes me appreciate the older marching sound much more, so way to go Kevlar

So how active was their military single ply drum production in the early 20th century? These appears to be a 100 year gap in their history story.

A sentence in their history page -

“By 1873 Noble & Cooley produced 100,000 drums a year, some of which carried the nation through its most infamous moments.”

If they were military instruments, lots of Indigenous Wars and the American Civil War...

No wonder I’ve not taken to the brand, I’ve mentioned in another thread that I could care less if drums came from New England battlefields…

don't read 5th line here
; ) kidding. But the perception "back then" (1927! I wasn't there..)

(seems at one time stream bent 1P shell was seen as .....?) could be,
(then-current (1920s)...it says) not today..

gretsch BK Harvey.jpg

carry on just a tidbit in an ad

No it didn’t. I still think a foreign budget set isn’t out of the realm of possibility ;) but just like DW, I think they’ll reserve the N&C name for the good stuff and call the budget line something else. Why the heck not? Who could blame them? It’s only the biggest money maker out there for these companies. Iffen I is wrong, so beez it.

And bring back vintage style toy drums, too!

This was some badly needed damage control if you find it convincing. There is a difference between a resignation and planned retirement and then a sudden departure from another key member due to differences in future direction leaving a huge gap of both talent and experience....while putting the future of the company in question to a customer base publicly, hardly a graceful transition reading the original blog post. I have no idea what is really going on but I hope they do well and continue. Obviously the end of an era and start for a new.

I thought that piece was extremely well-crafted and hit all the right marks...
...but. As others have notes, the fact that the only mention of Nick was
Nick expressed a desire to branch out of Noble and Cooley
leaves me still suspecting the last remaining family member left because he didn't like/agree with the direction the company was going in. And, hey, maybe it's for the best for all concerned! But it still seems to me that it was not an entirely amicable parting. And that's a shame.

ETA: I read the blog post John wrote and to which he linked in that piece and it's all about his own N&C kit...and despite there being several embedded photos, none are of the actual kit in question! Not important, at all, but slightly frustrating and odd.

Last edited:
Back