Terrible Noble and Cooley News

We can be confident there will always be makers of overpriced boutique drums for those wishing to make a statement. Thankfully, there continue to be lots of good choices in the mid-priced level serving up-and-coming rhythmatists.

Do N&C tom mounts take Ludwig L-Arms?

They use the new cool mounts - the attach to any L arm so yes

Initially they had Bob Gatzen designing and overseeing the builds. he was very much a drummer and owned a popular drum shop for years.
Bob's shop was great, definitely a drummer's hang and could see his inventions as well. My teacher at the time brought me there to get my pedal fixed and wish I had more opportunity to spend time there. Speaking of, on reverb a month ago was a N&C prototype with reinforcement rings; maple rings with inner mahogany, looks like it sold. I remember Bob did a tutorial on tuning at a drum fest, it was great...he was basically liquidating his drum gear a few years ago for health reasons, hopefully he is doing better now.

I had a Horizon 10/13/16/20 old new stock shell. It was fantastic just not right sizes for me but that is a great shell and would consider them again on actual specs I would want.

Glad Nick is still at the table....looks like some of the drama got public but they settled something that made sense for everyone

Reactions: kdh
They use the new cool mounts - the attach to any L arm so yes

Very nice. I'm playing Ludwigs with DW 9000 stands. I had to change out the L-arms to fit Ludwig.

Bob's shop was great, definitely a drummer's hang and could see his inventions as well. My teacher at the time brought me there to get my pedal fixed and wish I had more opportunity to spend time there. Speaking of, on reverb a month ago was a N&C prototype with reinforcement rings; maple rings with inner mahogany, looks like it sold. I remember Bob did a tutorial on tuning at a drum fest, it was great...he was basically liquidating his drum gear a few years ago for health reasons, hopefully he is doing better now.

I had a Horizon 10/13/16/20 old new stock shell. It was fantastic just not right sizes for me but that is a great shell and would consider them again on actual specs I would want.

Glad Nick is still at the table....looks like some of the drama got public but they settled something that made sense for everyone
I had the pleasure of visiting Bob's shop in CT several times as a teenager. I saw him there multiple times and he was always super enthusiastic to share knowledge and advice. I bought one of Bob's personal N&C prototype snares....built in the 80's. It's a maple solid ply 7X14 with no re rings...and the thing is still round! Very thick shell that sounds like a gun shot when tuned high. Must've been a challenge to steam bend that thing. I contacted N&C once about having them do a refurb and clean up on it. They would've done it, but I decided not to. I got cold feet...worrying that it might lose it's shape.

Last edited:
That is mine. I never played it on a big tour. I'm not sure I played it much in the studio. Not reflective of any deficiency, I just had a lot of great snares at the time. Unfortunately I had to sell a lot of stuff when I moved from the UK to Australia in 2005.

Back