swing the drum fill?

georgeusa

at 7:24

Chad is saying it should not be played as straight 16ths the fill, but played in swing feel

but i can't really understand how he does it.....does he mean u play it slower towards the end of the fill, or starting out slower...like speeding up, or slowing down while playing the fill?

He demonstrates it at 7:24 but i can't really understand the difference or how he does it

can someone explain

thanks

but triplets can also sound like they are 16ths.....the spacing between them is the same

in the video at 8:02 he made it clear the notes should not have same distance between them (i think thats what he meant?)
The spacing is different.
Straight -> 1 e & a 2
Triplets -> 1 & a 2

In regards to the fill in question the strokes are doubled, so there are 6 strokes before you get to the 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: jda
He demonstrates it at 7:24 but i can't really understand the difference or how he does it
Asymmetrical. Not really straight, not really triplets, but "playing between the cracks". It's easier to sing it first, and then play the the way you sing the part, not the way a drum machine would play it.

That's my crackpot theory, anyway.

like the opening of "ain't too proud to beg" as he said "motown"..

My take on this, having listened to the video in question last week, is not that the individual notes are necessarily swung against each other, but that the fill as a whole is swung. If you imagine the fill as a quarter note in the measure, it ends roughly a sixteenth note early and the following snare/cymbal hit is just scarcely in front of the 1.

at 7:24

Chad is saying it should not be played as straight 16ths the fill, but played in swing feel

but i can't really understand how he does it.....does he mean u play it slower towards the end of the fill, or starting out slower...like speeding up, or slowing down while playing the fill?

can someone explain

thanks

Rhythm is the same with both-- a sixtuplet-- the "swung" way has some accents, the "not swung" way is at an even volume. He also moves them around the drums differently.

No actual swinging involved, it's just a sixtuplet with accents.

Back