Stick Twirling: The Master

So far I twirl one revolution with my left over my head in the silent part between snare hits. I can twirl one rev with my right the opposite way.
Stick tosses? I've toyed at home with it.
I tried the floor tom slam but couldn't control it, and it's potentially damaging to the bearing edge.
Or the head. El Estepario Siberiano does a lot of tossing the stick to the toms or snare and catching it back, but his heads are so tight he can do that, anyone that tunes their drums normally would have a much harder time.

I'll work on spinning when my drumming is (much) better...

I've been watching this guy for other reasons, but he has some stick tricks dialed in.

He is good as a drummer, but he comes across as forced when he is reacting to things and very produced. (most be nice to have rich dad).
There was a guitar player that left one of his guitars at his house and the guitar ended up broken, legal was involved not pretty.

Since that post about hating stick twirling was thankfully closed, here's a positive example of the master at work, the great Dino Danelli, who got his shtick from jazz drummers Sonny Payne and Lionel Hampton. There's no question that Dino had the chops to back up the showmanship. He was the whole package; talent, feel, chops, good looks. He was a major influence on me as a young drummer.

Holy crap, how much fun is this video?!? Man that's cool. I definitely feel what that drummer is feeling when everything is right at a gig and you feel like you are just burning it up. That was so much fun. I love how those drums are just loose and that kick is resonant and out of control. Fantastic.

I love well executed tricks and spins , but this is so true and I see a lot of it …..

IMG_4897.jpeg

Newer/beginner drummers would fare well and be better drummers sooner by by spending more time on and not skipping the important steps or ……..

At least have shorter legs 😉😂😂😂

Newer/beginner drummers would fare well and be better drummers sooner by by spending more time on and not skipping the important steps or ……..
But the thing is, a kid can practice his twirls in silence.

When I was a young drummer with my drums set up in my bedroom, I couldn't play drums at night. But I could practice twirls at night. So I did.

It wasn't that I put twirling ahead of drumming, it's just I had a lot of time at night with nothing else I could practice other than twirling. :ROFLMAO:

I suspect many of today's kids are in the same boat. When mom says knock it off for the evening, but you still want to do something drum related, you twirl sticks in silence.

But the thing is, a kid can practice his twirls in silence.

When I was a young drummer with my drums set up in my bedroom, I couldn't play drums at night. But I could practice twirls at night. So I did.

It wasn't that I put twirling ahead of drumming, it's just I had a lot of time at night with nothing else I could practice other than twirling. :ROFLMAO:

I suspect many of today's kids are in the same boat. When mom says knock it off for the evening, but you still want to do something drum related, you twirl sticks in silence.
Exactly. That is how I learned to do the silly little flip that I do. Trying to learn that now, forget it!

For sure.. practice makes perfect - you have to get there somehow.. just make sure you have it nailed before you take it on the road. You don't want to be on a viral video where the drummer keeps trying to bounce his stick off the floor tom and spin it 10 feet in the air with the hopes of catching it.. if I recall the stick kept flying off in different directions and he kept missing over and over..

Some of the videos posted above are simply amazing.. like the guy that repeatedly bouncing the stick off the floor tom way up in the air and catches it every time.
I tried that in high school and it worked in practice, but live - the stick took off horizontally into the audience! could have taken an eye out!.. that was the last time I tried it.

Back